Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/Magnet FTTH 150Mb pilot

Options
  • 07-09-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Had a letter through the door yesterday from Eircom Wholesale saying that Eircom and Magnet will be rolling out FTTH in Sandyford, Dundrum, Wexford over the next few weeks.
    Not sure how much it will cost, but they say FTTH offers speeds up to 150Mb down and 30Mb up. You can check if you're in one of the proposed areas and register your interest with Eircom and Magnet through www.fibrepilot.ie

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did search for "Eircom 150Mb" and found nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm up in Stepaside D18 and I got the letter in the post too.
    Eircom engineers have done quite a bit of work at the various boxes around my estate recently.
    Not sure will I take up the offer as I'm more than happy with my UPC service.
    All depends on price I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Eircom engineers have done quite a bit of work at the various boxes around my estate recently.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I was actually going to ring UPC yesterday to upgrade from 50Mb to 100 but thought I'd hold off until I get more details on this from Eircom/Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

You would think that eircom/Magnet would try get this in areas that ntl dont have a service as most places that dont have ntl have crap BB so there would be loads of people that would jump at this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The conundrum for eircom is simple:
    They have to compete with UPC, it's as simple as that...Currently with line rental so high they cannot compete so this rollout is doomed

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

kin9pin wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I was actually going to ring UPC yesterday to upgrade from 50Mb to 100 but thought I'd hold off until I get more details on this from Eircom/Magnet.

Hi,

If you could PM me with contact details (E-Mail / Phone Number etc) I will be glad to arrange for you to be contacted to explain what is happening in regard to this roll-out. Just for your information, we will be able to start taking orders for the service from the 26th September - so not long to wait!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi,

If you could PM me with your contact details, I will be happy to arrange for you to be contacted in order that we can explain what is happening in regards to this trial.

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Got this letter too, the magnet landing page at magnet.ie/fibre is a bit of a mess, lists 'magnet double' as 'broadband and TV' at the bottom from 69 and in the txt further uo says its 'broadband and phone'. Also implys that it is available when it isn't yet.

At least it gives a price though, except I'm not sure what 'from' means, '150Mb broadband from €65' that's the max speed so what could add to the price?

The Eircom landing page doesn't tell you anything at all, just wants your details to contact you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's something for potential customers in Wexford Town-half of the town won't be able to get the service thanks to some bright spark in the Borough Council not letting Eircom lay cables ("will cause too much disruption") even though the ducting is in situ from previous works and was laid in preparation for such a time that upgrades to the network would be carried out.

Only in Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

zerks wrote: »
    Here's something for potential customers in Wexford Town-half of the town won't be able to get the service thanks to some bright spark in the Borough Council not letting Eircom lay cables ("will cause too much disruption") even though the ducting is in situ from previous works and was laid in preparation for such a time that upgrades to the network would be carried out.

They probably do FTTC for the other half of wexford town so 40mbp down and 10up upgrading the exchange would not be as disruptive and take less time than FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hi,

If you could PM me with contact details (E-Mail / Phone Number etc) I will be glad to arrange for you to be contacted to explain what is happening in regard to this roll-out. Just for your information, we will be able to start taking orders for the service from the 26th September - so not long to wait!

Thanks

PM Sent.
    zerks wrote: »

The whole main part of down town isn't covered, All the shops and business', Stupid. But my street is! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

baraca wrote: »

The whole main part of down town isn't covered, All the shops and business', Stupid. But my street is! :)

I was speaking to Eircom engineers who are responsible for the rollout in Wexford and they told me it was the council that blocked the rollout to the main part of the town as they didn't want the streets dug up again despite the fact that the infrastructure was put in during the civil works along the main street and surrounding areas.The council wouldn't listen when it was explained that no digging was needed.

I see some parts of the town can get it where a lot of residents are of an age that broadband is of little interest to them.

Anyway at least it's some progress.I'll have to wait until UPC decide to upgrade Enniscorthy's decrepit cable service to a standard that can handle broadband.

copacetic wrote: »
    Got this letter too, the magnet landing page at magnet.ie/fibre is a bit of a mess, lists 'magnet double' as 'broadband and TV' at the bottom from 69 and in the txt further uo says its 'broadband and phone'. Also implys that it is available when it isn't yet.

At least it gives a price though, except I'm not sure what 'from' means, '150Mb broadband from €65' that's the max speed so what could add to the price?

The Eircom landing page doesn't tell you anything at all, just wants your details to contact you later.

Nice to see they fixed it already, no charge for the proof reading lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to the eircom forum, in order to get direct answers from those that are in the best position to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Nice to see they fixed it already, no charge for the proof reading lads!
    Had a letter through the door yesterday from Eircom Wholesale saying that Eircom and Magnet will be rolling out FTTH in Sandyford, Dundrum, Wexford over the next few weeks.
    Not sure how much it will cost, but they say FTTH offers speeds up to 150Mb down and 30Mb up. You can check if you're in one of the proposed areas and register your interest with Eircom and Magnet through www.fibrepilot.ie

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did search for "Eircom 150Mb" and found nothing.

Hi kin9pin
    and all who have expressed an interest in the new Fibre Broadband service.
    We will start rolling out eircom Fibre Broadband in the next couple of weeks. The initial fibre rollout areas are shown at this link If you are in one of these areas, be sure to register your interest now and be one of the first to start experiencing eircom Fibre Broadband.
    We will have more information then and will post this then.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭Tow

I got a letter and glossy today saying my area is in the South County Dublin pilot and we can get 'upto' 50Mb and how good it will be. Yet, we can already get 100Mb from UPC! Ireland still has a long way to go when some other countries start at 100Mb.

BTW Magnet's site say we only get 45Mb and the prices don't seem much better than UPC's, I don't see many people bothering to switch.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Has anyone who registered interest a few weeks back been contacted? I've had nothing from Eircom at all, landing page is still blank on info and supposed to be able to order from Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Has anyone who registered interest a few weeks back been contacted? I've had nothing from Eircom at all, landing page is still blank on info and supposed to be able to order from Monday?

Nope I rang them a few days ago they said they know alot more on it next week still not sure if there taking orders on monday though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

This is brilliant news. Competition is great, and this will keep UPC on their toes.

Any update from Eircom reps on this?

Any update from Eircom reps on this?

Hi copacetic
    did post the following info on another thread could have posted here too:o

The eircom fibre broadband options start from €44.99 per month (for speeds up to 25MB) and range up to €74.99 (for speed of 150MB) in Fibre to the Home areas. A dual play digital voice and broadband product will be launched later in the year.
    All customers who have expressed interest in the service will be contacted in the coming weeks on exact details and availability.

Apologies for any delay but you will be contacted re your 'expression of interest'

I will post more info as soon as I have some..
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Will we have to pay 'line rental' on an FTTH fibre Tony ????

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I would imagine so Sponge Bob, though will check this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I would imagine so Sponge Bob, though will check this for you.
    Tony

Wow, €74.99 for 150 mb when magnet are offering the very same thing for €65, Plus you have line rental on top of that as well with eircom?

How can you expect anyone to go to eircom with prices like that, It's a joke.

Plus magnet have already taken orders, Given a date of when it's likely to be installed and their website has most of the information you need.

Compare this to eircom.

Hi Sponge Bob

For the fibre pilot there is no line rental charge so the prices will be as per previous post.

All inclusive..
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks Tony.

Hi copacetic
    did post the following info on another thread could have posted here too:o

The eircom fibre broadband options start from €44.99 per month (for speeds up to 25MB) and range up to €74.99 (for speed of 150MB) in Fibre to the Home areas. A dual play digital voice and broadband product will be launched later in the year.
    All customers who have expressed interest in the service will be contacted in the coming weeks on exact details and availability.

Apologies for any delay but you will be contacted re your 'expression of interest'

I will post more info as soon as I have some..
    Tony

Thanks Tony, I'm keen to hear the intermediate pricing when you have it, i.e is it €55 for 50MB , €65 for €100 etc.

I don't understand why the full info isn't available or why they haven't contacted people when as noted Magnet seem to be fully up and running and cheaper also? Eircom seem to be ruling themselves out?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Hi kin9pin
    and all who have expressed an interest in the new Fibre Broadband service.
    We will start rolling out eircom Fibre Broadband in the next couple of weeks. The initial fibre rollout areas are shown at this link If you are in one of these areas, be sure to register your interest now and be one of the first to start experiencing eircom Fibre Broadband.
    We will have more information then and will post this then.
    Tony

alright tony!

i live in wexford town and have been looking forward to this broadband being released since july 2010 and when i looked at the areas its being released, my area isnt covered. :(

Devastated

whats the story there eh? i know for a fact that the fiber optic cable runs past my house.

Thanks Tony, I'm keen to hear the intermediate pricing when you have it, i.e is it €55 for 50MB , €65 for €100 etc.

I don't understand why the full info isn't available or why they haven't contacted people when as noted Magnet seem to be fully up and running and cheaper also? Eircom seem to be ruling themselves out?

Hi copacetic
    will post this as soon as I have it..
    Tony

woppers wrote: »
    alright tony!

i live in wexford town and have been looking forward to this broadband being released since july 2010 and when i looked at the areas its being released, my area isnt covered. :(

Devastated

whats the story there eh? i know for a fact that the fiber optic cable runs past my house.

Hi woppers
    I can't really answer this for you. The fibre cable is being run alongside exisitng broadband cable and the routes agreed by eircom and local authorities, If you wish to PM me your tel number I can confirm status for you.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

Just an FYI on this.
    I'm in Sandyford and lucky enough to be in the FTTH area.
    Magnet responded to me yesterday.
    I went for their double offer - i.e. phone plus BB (no TV).
    (Their TV channels are all English speaking so of no interest to me.)
    It costs 70 per month.
    150Mb download / 30Mb upload - there are no intermediate plans.
    They throw in 100 mins to most european countries for free which was important for me.
    They promised I would be connected in 30 days.
    -P

Advertisement