Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/Magnet FTTH 150Mb pilot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

petergdub wrote: »
    Just an FYI on this.
    I'm in Sandyford and lucky enough to be in the FTTH area.
    Magnet responded to me yesterday.
    I went for their double offer - i.e. phone plus BB (no TV).
    (Their TV channels are all English speaking so of no interest to me.)
    It costs 70 per month.
    150Mb download / 30Mb upload - there are no intermediate plans.
    They throw in 100 mins to most european countries for free which was important for me.
    They promised I would be connected in 30 days.
    -P

Same with me too Eircom may start contacting ppl because they're falling behind on Magnet they seem to be a good bit ahead of eircom

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi copacetic
    will post this as soon as I have it..
    Tony

Any further word Tony? I'm asking as I've gotten what looks to be a very expensively produced postcard type thing in the post today from Eurcom with a QR code etc etc asking to express interest again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

copacetic wrote: »
    Any further word Tony? I'm asking as I've gotten what looks to be a very expensively produced postcard type thing in the post today from Eurcom with a QR code etc etc asking to express interest again!

Hi copacetic,

Thanks for post.

Tony is out of the office. I will look into this and advise tomorrow.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Still nothing on this?
    The first customers have been connected to the pilot scheme in Wexford and Sandyford. The wholesale division is providing service to Eircom Retail, while Magnet is also reselling the service. Mr Hutchings said other operators were piloting services during the pilot but had chosen not to announce this publicly.

Surprised to read claims today in the papers that Eircom have connected customers when there is not even any info available..
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1014/1224305755018.html

Another week gone and still no information? It's getting a bit ridiculous at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

They called here to connect me on tuesday morning but i wasn't here.

This was magnet, But eircom are the ones who put in the line.

Sigh, another week goes by, any chance of an update? I'm upgrading the lack of info or response from ridiculous to ludicrous..

Sigh, another week goes by, any chance of an update? I'm upgrading the lack of info or response from ridiculous to ludicrous..

Hi copacetic,

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay.

As Tony advised previously : You will be contacted after you have registered your expression of interest on eircom's fibre Broadband website - http://t.co/X2gSOHl )

The site outlines the current fibre roll out plan.

Essentially, at present eircom have a 150MB broadband only product for €74.99 (with no landline costs). However later in the year we will be launching a dual play option (digital voice and broadband).

I will check with the Fibre Broadband Team to see if they have any further update on your query. Either they will contact you directly or Tony and myself will post here.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    Yep, I expressed an interest nearly 2 months ago via the website but have had no contact since?

Don't know what's keeping eircom on their side, They were here installing my ONT for magnet yesterday and today so don't see why they can't get their own operation off the ground

• Advertisement

Hi Ant,
    Yep, I expressed an interest nearly 2 months ago via the website but have had no contact since?

Hi copacetic,

Thanks for the post. I'm checking with the Firbre roll out team and will advise shortly.

Kind regards,
    An

Hi Ant,

Why don't you go with magnet? Their cheaper and obviously more efficient.

Hi Ant,

Hi copacetic,

Thanks for waiting on my reply.

I've been advised that customers were started to be contacted directly last week. This will be followed up by email during this and the coming weeks.

If you haven't been contacted yet, can you please PM me your home phone number /or if you have an eircom Account number.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Hi Eircom : Ant

Do you have any idea if this is in the plans to roll out to balbriggan or balrothery ?

Stuck on Up to 8 mb out here only getting 4 of that

cheers

jjspine wrote: »
    Hi Eircom : Ant

Do you have any idea if this is in the plans to roll out to balbriggan or balrothery ?

Stuck on Up to 8 mb out here only getting 4 of that

cheers

Hi jjspine,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

Can you PM me your eircom Account number or eircom Broadband phone number.

Best regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

just spotted a group of engineers in a huddle beside one of the main boxes in a residential area in letterkenny both eircom and kn networks present, would this be an indication that fibre isnt a mile off?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

Hi Baraca,
    Wondering if you are hooked up yet.
    I signed with magnet for the 150MB as soon as the offer came out.
    Eircom wholesale duly dug up outside and ran a wire into the house and installed inside a junction box and Huawei router.
    However Magnet then posted me out a Thomson router.
    I can't install the Thomson without ripping out the Huawei stuff Eircom installed ?
    Rgs
    Peter

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi Peter,

You just need to plug the Thompson router into the equipment that Eircom installed and this will deliver the broadband that you have ordered.

If you would like to PM me your contact details, I would be more that happy to get one of technical team to call you to talk you through connecting this service up.

Thanks

Cheers Rory - I'll try that myself and see how I get on.
    I previously set up one of those Thomsons in Sweden but as I recall it connected directly to the incoming cable.
    Does the Thomson connect to the Huawei or do I discard that ?
    -P

Cheers Rory - I'll try that myself and see how I get on.
    I previously set up one of those Thomsons in Sweden but as I recall it connected directly to the incoming cable.
    Does the Thomson connect to the Huawei or do I discard that ?
    -P

Hi peter, Plug the ethernet cable (the red tip one) from your huawei outlet into the thomson router magnet provided you with.

What eircom installed is not a router and also should not be thrown out!!

• Advertisement

Thanks Rory and Baraca.
    Am hooked up now.
    The only issue is the speed - 3-4 Mb/sec according to speedtest.net.
    (Its the Magnet Networks IP 87.198...etc)
    Does someone need to throw a switch somewhere...
    P

I ran the tests above when connected to the Thomson router over wifi (one windows one linux)

However when I ethernet-connected directly to the router I managed to get a more respectable 35Mb download / 20Mb upload.
    Disconnected the ethernet cable and ran again over wifi a few times and got 10Mb/ 10Mb on each.
    P

Meteor engineer "switched channel".
    Oh Lordy - am now seeing over 100Mb/s on speedtest !
    Over 90Mb/s on the wireless N nic.
    Goodbye commute...working from home here I come...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

Meteor engineer "switched channel".
    Oh Lordy - am now seeing over 100Mb/s on speedtest !
    Over 90Mb/s on the wireless N nic.
    Goodbye commute...working from home here I come...
    OMG you lucky f##ker !!!! when will anything like this ever come to cavan :( , l recently upgraded on eircom to 12Mb down and 1.1Mb up and when l was inquiring the rep said that fiber was being rolled out l might want to hold off on the upgrade so l asked him when it was gonna come to cavan town he said he didn't know , lol , sure it could be years l said to him , l'm not sure he says :( dublin gets everything first as usual , sigh...... for the same price l'm paying a friend in dub is getting , tv,phone and some crazy up/down speed net deal , 25Mb down and 6 or 7Mb up , it sucks big time , sorry l'm ranting a bit now but it drives me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How much is 30/50mb + phone on this service? Its available in my area according to the maps

AdamD wrote: »
    How much is 30/50mb + phone on this service? Its available in my area according to the maps

Hi AdamD,

Can you let me know if I can help you further. If you are enquiring about fibre broadband, then please see the eircom Fibre Broadband Rollout website for more information. You can also register your interest here. If fibre broadband is available in your area you can leave your contact email /phone number and you will be contacted later.

eircom Fibre Broadband

You can also view which phone and broadband products are available in your area (including Next Generation Broadband) : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

For further information on Broadband and phone packages : eircom Broadband Sales - freefone 1800 503303

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hi AdamD,

Can you let me know if I can help you further. If you are enquiring about fibre broadband, then please see the eircom Fibre Broadband Rollout website for more information. You can also register your interest here. If fibre broadband is available in your area you can leave your contact email /phone number and you will be contacted later.

eircom Fibre Broadband

You can also view which phone and broadband products are available in your area (including Next Generation Broadband) : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

For further information on Broadband and phone packages : eircom Broadband Sales - freefone 1800 503303

Best wishes,
    Ant
    I've registered my interest just now, how long do they normally take to reply? As you can see from my other thread I'm looking at the 24mb package (NGB) at the moment but if I could get this it would be even better. Can you look at my line stats from the other thread please and give me your opinion on what it can take.

spinzes wrote: »
    OMG you lucky f##ker !!!! when will anything like this ever come to cavan :( , l recently upgraded on eircom to 12Mb down and 1.1Mb up and when l was inquiring the rep said that fiber was being rolled out l might want to hold off on the upgrade so l asked him when it was gonna come to cavan town he said he didn't know , lol , sure it could be years l said to him , l'm not sure he says :( dublin gets everything first as usual , sigh...... for the same price l'm paying a friend in dub is getting , tv,phone and some crazy up/down speed net deal , 25Mb down and 6 or 7Mb up , it sucks big time , sorry l'm ranting a bit now but it drives me nuts

Hi spinzes,

Appreciate your comments and thanks for the post. The following links may be helpful -

eircom Broadband Packages

Want to improve your broadband speed?

If you need further assistance :

Broadband Sales - freefone 1800 503303

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Cheers Ant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

spinzes wrote: »
    OMG you lucky f##ker !!!! when will anything like this ever come to cavan

As far as i know Cable Broadband is coming to Cavan Town in 2012. You may wish to contact Smyths Cable and ask whether they will be rolling out 50 or 100mbit product in your area this year??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Ballyboden, next exchange and area being upgraded, subducts for fibre going in all week, cabs to be upgraded soon, if done fast enough, FTTC could be up and running in less than 2 months

Advertisement