Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can cyclists use the new bridge

• 07-09-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Does anyone know if bicycles are allowed to use the bypass/bridge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It wouldnt be safe, it is a motorway standard road without the motorway signs saying no bikes, tractors, under 50cc, etc so I dont think it would be illegal but I wouldnt cycle on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm sure there's a sign saying no cyclists, I'll check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

As said already it is a motorway so Id say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Ordinarily you can cycle on non-motorway roads - however special prevision was made to exclude cyclists on this road. This is because it is not a public utility, but a cash cow for international private equity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

If you cycle onto the road from the Grannagh roundabout, there is a
    'No Pedestrians
    No Pedal-cyclists
    No Animals'
    sign.
    If you cycle onto the road from the Harvey Norman side, and head towards the bridge, there is no sign. There used to be, but it's been removed for over a year now.

I have cycled on it once. Kept the head down, and ploughed on. If there is a toll booth that's not in use head towards it, there is enough space between the end of the barrier and the kerb to fit a bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Its in the bylaws that it cant be used. From the ramp on at either side of the bridge.

You can go on and head away from the bridge going by the bylaws but they have signs up saying you cant but these were noted at being in the wrong place and are yet to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

You can't, and a much of the road there is unsafe anyway. A lot of the hard shoulders were never finished, so there's just soggy mud along the edges.

There's not much room for a cyclist and motorists won't be expecting one on those roads. So I don't recommend it.

It's a moot point anyway, because it's illegal to even be on most of the bypass roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

OK, Thanks for all the replies. I will keep well away.

I'm returning to cycling after a loooong break and was thinking about some handy routes around Waterford while I build up my stamina.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

You can't, and a much of the road there is unsafe anyway. A lot of the hard shoulders were never finished, so there's just soggy mud along the edges.

There's not much room for a cyclist and motorists won't be expecting one on those roads. So I don't recommend it.

It's a moot point anyway, because it's illegal to even be on most of the bypass roads.

The hard shoulders were finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Hifive wrote: »
    OK, Thanks for all the replies. I will keep well away.

I'm returning to cycling after a loooong break and was thinking about some handy routes around Waterford while I build up my stamina.

Thanks again.

Try take the old Dublin road up to Thomastown (through the city centre). That road is fairly quiet now that the motorway is open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I cant find the actually bylaws document. But the draft one on the NRA website has this
    8.2 Pedestrians, pedal cyclists and animal drawn vehicles are prohibited from using
    the section of the Toll Road between its intersection with the N9 national road and
    its intersection with the Western Link (being the two junctions at either end of the
    section of the Toll Road which crosses the River Suir)

Also on the point about the old Dublin road. I agree its a good option I cycle it a bit and its fairly quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Can we put on hold all these stupid threads asking
    such ridiculous questions that have been posted during
    the last few weeks! 'Where would I buy a wisk'
    'Where can I get toothpaste'

For f**k sake people, use your f**king heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

'Where would I buy a wisk'

I tried using my head as a whisk before silly. It didn't turn out to well. I ended up making pineapple right side up cake :( never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

Hifive wrote: »
    Does anyone know if bicycles are allowed to use the bypass/bridge?

Hi, you actually can use the bypass to cycle up to the last roundabout before the bridge. Their is no bylaws passed to prevent you. Being a cyclist for many years and still..........i rang the NRA and they said the signs were wrong and they should nt say no Bicycles, i made the point that cyclists are more safe on that road as opposed to the mickey mouse main road from kilmeaden into the city, no hard shoulder etc. The time they done the works in kilmeaden with the traffic islands etc and the footpaths with the high kerbs and no hard shoulder for cyclists left a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

nobody is asking for you to read or comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Hi, you actually can use the bypass to cycle up to the last roundabout before the bridge. Their is no bylaws passed to prevent you. Being a cyclist for many years and still..........i rang the NRA and they said the signs were wrong and they should nt say no Bicycles, i made the point that cyclists are more safe on that road as opposed to the mickey mouse main road from kilmeaden into the city, no hard shoulder etc. The time they done the works in kilmeaden with the traffic islands etc and the footpaths with the high kerbs and no hard shoulder for cyclists left a lot to be desired.

Yeah, the bypass is not designated a motorway, just a high quality dual carriageway (HQDC), and therefore does not have motorway restrictions. Not that I'd be mad to use it personally...

Did someone say at some point it was going to designated a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Says the fella who started up a thread about speed limits :D

This is a forum to be used by people who have a question they need answered or have a problem they want to get off their chest.

Stop whinging

Advertisement