Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity threats about disconnection

Options
  • 07-09-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I moved to a new home few weeks ago and from this time i am getting letters from Airtricity about that that i have to sing a contract with them or they will stop supplying electricity to my house. Today i get 3rd letter with disconnection threat. Is this allowed in Ireland to do things like Airtricity is doing? I have since 3 weeks contract with ESB. I am really afraid of this company because i know that they were switching people from esb to them without any permission from those people(they did that with my brother). Is there any way to stop them from doing that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring them and tell them you are with the ESB. Are the letters addressed to you directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

No.
    New occupier(some name - not my or owner of this house or previous tenants).
    You are right about calling, but it all looks like a big scam - just to get new customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You shouldn't be opening letters addressed to someone else, it's actually illegal. Write Return to sender on the envelope and put it back in any post box. Go with whatever provider you want, and ignore letters that are sent to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jor el wrote: »
    You shouldn't be opening letters addressed to someone else, it's actually illegal. Write Return to sender on the envelope and put it back in any post box. Go with whatever provider you want, and ignore letters that are sent to someone else.

The OP got a letter addressed to "The Occupant" or something like that

Its not addressed to anyone in particular.

Funny story though, I moved to Holland back in 2007, for ages I was getting letters address to Aan De Bewoners only found out that meant "to the occupants"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - the best thing to do is contact Airtricity directly. A few minutes on the phone would sort out a lot of this.

When you moved to the new house, did you receive electricity details from the landlord or previous occupant?

Or did you just sign up with ESB directly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I just sing up to ESB - man from agency did that for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

loki7777 wrote: »
    I just sing up to ESB - man from agency did that for me.
    Then you are an ESB customer and can ignore mail addressed to anyone else. Block out the address and Write "not at this address" or "not known at address" all over any and all airtricity mail not addressed directly to you and pop them back in the post! There can be no contract with a company unless they know who you are and name you on their correspondence and most importantly you are a willing signatory to the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dudara wrote: »
    OP - the best thing to do is contact Airtricity directly. A few minutes on the phone would sort out a lot of this.

When you moved to the new house, did you receive electricity details from the landlord or previous occupant?

Or did you just sign up with ESB directly?
    Airtricity can't legally discuss any account at the address with the op as the op is not the account holder or an airtricity customer. Op They will insist on getting your details when you ring so that they can then link any outstanding debts at that address to you. Best advice is to inform your current provider and return all mail not addressed to you personally

Advertisement