Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To repair or not to repair?

• 07-09-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone im a noob to the cycling forum so be nice :D Basically I have an old mountain bike in the back that im wondering about getting fixed up. I will use it for 4km a day from December on. Then in September 2012 and on (if the world doesn't end) for about 20km a day. I have been quoted about €100 by my local bike shops to repair it. They both say im going to struggle the long distance on the bike since its so heavy and with its fat tyres.

So my questions are:

1. Can I repair it cheaper?
    2. Can I get a better road bike for around the same price?
    3. Can the bike me modded ride better on the road?
    4. Any other ideas?

I have attached pics of the bike also. Thanks for the help :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Two more pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jaysus. That bike is in a fair state alright. :) Wouldn't go 20K regularly on a full suspension if I could avoid it tbh but the 4K will be totally grand after repair. I have a full suspension bike and find it a pain in the arse for any kind of distance. You can reduce the tyre issue by getting more "slick" tyres (someone will be along with a link because I can't remember the name of the tyre) but I wouldn't bother until you're looking at the 20K.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be having a look on adverts / in the for sale forum here.

100 euro from the LBS doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I wouldn't bother sinking €100 into getting that fixed up, it'll be a right pain over distance on the road even with slicks.

Check out the ads here or have a look at Dublinbike, the Rathmines Bike Depot has a couple of decent mtb commuters going for €50 fully fixed and ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Honestly, I would pocket your 100 euro and start saving for something a little better. Yes, you can get plenty of road bike bargains but there are few decent examples under 300 euro.

Keep an eye out though, but spending money fixing that bike up is, to quote someone better than me, "throwing good money after bad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother sinking €100 into getting that fixed up, it'll be a right pain over distance on the road even with slicks.

Check out the ads here or have a look at Dublinbike, the Rathmines Bike Depot has a couple of decent mtb commuters going for €50 fully fixed and ready to go.

Wow, bargain: Yikes!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys everyone much appreciated. Around €100 is the budget Im a student so have no income to save up :(. Also in Waterford just incase theres anything around here. Having a look at dublinbike now :D

I went into the local shop today and there bikes started at around €200 - €250. Would better tyres and hardening up the suspension so I get less movement help the situation much? I used to cycle 5km every evening when I was younger on this yoke(19 now) so I wonder if I could manage it albeit there are much easier way to cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I wouldn't bother putting any money into a piece of crap like that. 100e will get you a nice pair of running shoes and tbh I'd rather run 4 or even 20km than ride a thing like that (and I hate running). Better tyres might help but good tyres are probably going to set you back the guts of 60e which is too much to sink into a bike like that. There's nothing you can do about the suspension as far as I know, short of replacing the frame with something proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I fixed up my MTB for commuting but it was decent shape to begin with and wasn't as heavy as your bike as didn't have suspension. My advice would be to look at something else. Mine is a 14k each way commute. I replaced the tires with slicks (Made a huge difference). But I also ended up replacing/buying the saddle, the gear pods, grips, mudguards, racks, pedals, lights lock etc.

It all adds up. I would have been better buying a new bike with all that included or a 2nd hand hybrid in better nick with all that done, better suited to commuting. Check out adverts or done deal you'll get something ready to go for about 100~150. Will it kept secure, no point buying a bike then having it nicked because you use a dire cheap lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

BostonB wrote: »
    I fixed up my MTV for commuting but it was decent shape to begin with and wasn't as heavy as your bike as didn't have suspension. My advice would be to look at something else. Mine is a 14k each way commute. I replaced the tires with slicks (Made a huge difference). But I also ended up replacing/buying the saddle, the gear pods, grips, mudguards, racks, pedals, lights lock etc.

It all adds up. I would have been better buying a new bike with all that included or a 2nd hand hybrid in better nick with all that done, better suited to commuting. Check out adverts or done deal you'll get something ready to go for about 100~150. Will it kept secure, no point buying a bike then having it nicked because you use a dire cheap lock.

How did you fix this up for commuting?

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Vélo wrote: »
    How did you fix this up for commuting?...

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=218196

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

So were all agreed, dump the piece of sh*t and buy another bike. Will have to keep an eye on adverts then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Doylers wrote: »
    So were all agreed, dump the piece of sh*t and buy another bike. Will have to keep an eye on adverts then.

I think with a bit of tlc it would be grand for your 4k run, that gives you 12 months to keep an eye on the free ads to pick up a bargain for the longer distance.

SomeFool wrote: »
    I think with a bit of tlc it would be grand for your 4k run, that gives you 12 months to keep an eye on the free ads to pick up a bargain for the longer distance.

Would be nice just to get the fitness up to prepair for the longer distances alright. Ill say it to the guys to just get it working for f all or even get a loan of a bike and i'll just have to keep searching. Suppose i could walk the 4k trip I did it for 3 years before I had the car :p Just found €50 that has been in my suit for 2 years so budget has just went up woooo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.dublinbikeman.com/MensBikes.htm

Have a look around there, they're old bikes but they should be in perfect running order and suited much more to 4k on the road than a mountain bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I second the giant peleton suggestion. Don't bother trying to get the full sus running. 10e is too much to spend on it. Put your money towards something designed to actually be used.

Advertisement