Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head shaker Help

Options
  • 07-09-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I recently bought a 5yr old gelding lovely temperment and kind nature but is head shaking when been ridden I have had his teeth done he had a wolf tooth taken out some time ago and there was a fragment left which was removed almost 2 months ago I have had his back checked and all is fine.

Is this just a bad habit that he has or could there be something that I'm missing? :confused:

If just a habit any suggestions on now to get him out of it

Just for more info he is ridden in an eggbutt snaffle cavesson nose band and a running martingale that all fit fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It really could be anything. Habit as you said, eye disfunction, head pain.

I know a horse that head shakes in the sun due to sensitivity to light and now wears a mask when being rode during the day. I'd get him checked as much as possible before bottling it down to habit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There is actually an Equine Headshaking Syndrome. Have a look here: http://thehorsedoctor.blogspot.com/2006/04/headshaking-syndromejust-facts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hiya

We had a Horse recently with a similar disorder. Its very important though to figure out if its head shaking or head tossing. People often get them mixed up. One is annoying the other is lethal. I did a lot of research on this conditions and it can be literally anything from behavior, allergies, sensitivty, fly problems, back pain, teeth pain, head pain, bad breaking you name it the list goes on.

Can you describe what exactly is happening, the movements and when it happens. Also is it only while rifding or also while lunging?

Thanks
    Eoghan

Advertisement