Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question on Tread Size.

Options
  • 07-09-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I know my barrel is threaded to fit a moderator of size 5/8 but can someone tell me how do i find out if its 5/8 X 18 or 5/8 X 24 :confused:

Thanks
    CS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I know my barrel is threaded to fit a moderator of size 5/8 but can someone tell me how do i find out if its 5/8 X 18 or 5/8 X 24 :confused:

Thanks
    CS

AFAIK
    5/8 x18 is 5/8th of an inch by 18mm or 5/8th x 24mm

A mongrel of a measurement with Imperial and metric.
    You can often buy cheap Verniers that covert Metric to Imperial for small money in Aldi/Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I think your wrong tack i think 5/8x18 is a thread 5/8 of an inch wide with 18 threads along an inch in length where the 5/8x24 will have 24 threads per inch length ways, so they are not interchangeable,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Tack is it tpi or mm?

EDIT: ormondprop got there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Thanks lads, do ye know what is the most commonly used in 5/8 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Do you have any sort of steel ruler/engineering ruler or calipers?

http://www.roton.com/identify_threads.aspx

Could measure it and work it out.

I've no clue which is more popular unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I think 5/8 x 18 is more popular, i've never seen a 5/8x24 before

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ormondprop has it on the money on both accounts.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

5/8 x 18 is the same as 5/8 UNF and would be the standard for a 5/8 thread the other one is a barstard size with a finer thread used in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

5/8 - 18 is 5/8 inch in diameter with 18 TPI (Threads Per Inch), this is the standardised 5/8" UNF (Unified Fine) thread.

5/8 - 24 is 5/8 inch in diameter with 24 TPI, this is the standardised 5/8" UNEF (Unified Extra Fine) thread.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

Thanks for all the info lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Be careful it's not a metric fine 16mm thread. 5/8 = 15.875mm. There are some metric fine threaded moderators out there - I've threaded a few barrels for them. You really need some one with a thread gauge to make 100% sure what you have.

Its most likely a 5/8 UNF, but get that verified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Apologies for my mish-stake earlier.
    Yes my Mods are 5/8 UNF

I have a problem of a different nature at the moment that I can't get a thread of the same pitch for my 105CTi. All the Remington chokes have the same thread, but the probore chokes I have, have a slower thread and wider.

So I feel your pain OP with thread sizes.

Over the years in Industry I have seen many threads mangled with the wrong nut put on.
    Cheapest way of testing the thread is getting a 5/8UNF nut and seeing if it screw on easily.
    Or get the loan of a thread gauge if you do not have one.

5/8 UNF also normally is a Varmint profile type thread. skinny barrels need a different thread to tighten the mod properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Thanks for all the info lads!

It might go on easier with the help of a ball peen hammer and some Vaseline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

skinny barrels need a different thread to tighten the mod properly.

Skinny barrels need a different thread size (usually 1/2") because a 5/8" thread simply cannot be done on the barrel. Usually because the barrel is not even 5/8 in diameter.

Much in the same way you wouldn't normally put a 1/2" thread on a varmint barrel. No need to remove so much of the barrel, however i say "normally" because i have seen varmint barrel with 1/2" thread jobs and it looks crap.

I think the better option when getting a barrel threaded, just speaking generally, is to buy the mod/brake and then bring it to a gunsmith and have them thread the barrel to suit the thread of the mod. I know most are a common size, but you get a much better fit it the gunsmith can check the mod as he is threading. The threading on the Father's 30-06 was "generic". As in done for any 1/2" mod. His mod fitted fine. However when the lad that bought the mod off the Father went to get his rifle threaded and came back the mod was a much better fit on his rifle than on my Fathers. Better thread job and it was "tailored" to the mo rather than a generic job to suit all 1/2".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

It might go on easier with the help of a ball peen hammer and some Vaseline.

Thanks for the input Deeks, very helpful as usual :rolleyes:

Advertisement