Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer door doesn't seal..

• 07-09-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

I recently got my freezer door changed around, to open left to right instead of right to left. The guy who changed the hinges for me swore that the fact that the door wasn't sealing was only temporary and once I used the door a bit, the seal would go back to normal.
    Anyway, of course it hasn't.

So the freezer door doesn't seal the whole way around - there's a gap down the end of the door. I can't get anyone to change it around for me at the moment (I'm female) and was wondering if I could get my hands on a temporary fix? I'm thinking of something that would stick to the frame of the fridge and the door, and I could pull the two together when I close the door. Any ideas???

The freezer gets full of ice after a few days with this current problem and is driving me mental..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

He didn't put the hinges back on the right way which is why they won't close the door properly..If you are looking for a quick solution I would get 2 child locks for a fridge and use them to keep a pull on the door...It will work if you keep the part that you put o. The side of the fridge far enough back.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I know he didn't, and I can't get in touch with him now (or else he's avoiding me!!!!).

Thanks for that - I never thought of childlocks for a fridge! Great idea.

He's avoiding you alright...More than welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Get some door sealer gaskets (draft stop) in the local hardware store. It's like a foam pad which you stick on the (cleaned) frame of the fridge, right where the rubber seal lies.
    That would be better than the child lock which would need drilling/screwing into the door.

No offence but I have never seen a child lock for a fridge that has to be screwed on...You must never of had one before..There are locks designed just for fridges...Imlooking at mine now..got in Argos...have a look in the Argos book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I work beside a hardware and argos is only down the road - so I'll give both a try today and thanks again!
    Can I ask if it's a big job to put the fridge door back the way it was? I am tempted to try it myself - I can use a drill and have been known to put up the odd shelf, but have never tried to do this. Thanks again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Fittle wrote: »
    I work beside a hardware and argos is only down the road - so I'll give both a try today and thanks again!
    Can I ask if it's a big job to put the fridge door back the way it was? I am tempted to try it myself - I can use a drill and have been known to put up the odd shelf, but have never tried to do this. Thanks again,

In theory, the fridge door is designed to be able to be switched around simply by shifting the hinges from one side to the other into pre-drilled holes. In practice, it can take a bit of fiddling and filing to get everything lined up right - the bloke that did it seems to have stopped at the "simply by shifting the hinges" stage.

Job for a handyman/woman with the tools and a feel for such things methinks. There's a few of them around here in that game = maybe open a thread with "Handyman required" in the title.

Advertisement