Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a curtain rail

• 07-09-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to hang a curtain rail and curtains and my problem is that it will be going into plasterboard.

When building the house I got thicker timber put around the windows for this very job and all is good apart from this one. The positioning requires the holes for the rail to be where there is only plasterboard. I've used the various raw plug types before for plasterboard which are fine for light items, in the past I've hung coat hooks, etc for it only to last a while before coming out.

My question is this, are there any 6+ inch rawplugs or similar idea that could go through my plasterboard and insulation and hit the concrete block, if so it would then be a job for life instead of waiting for the time to have to do it all again.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What's been posted above is useless. It'll fall out within a week. What you need are hallow wall anchors, the bad boys you see below. I know homebase do a set of them, but you'll need a tool to crimp them once they're in the wall, iirc homebase sold them as a kit with the tool and all.

hollow_wall_anchor_lge.jpg

Vid of how they work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 al_1979

i recently hung some floating shelves into plasterboard using black and decker piranha (molly) screws from homebase. pack says they hold up to 15kg. cost under 5 euro & seems to work. after its inserted into the plaster you screw thru the screw which causes the back piece of the insert to crimp up and secure to the plaster. should think it would work. they have a big selection there possibly in lengths you're looking for & types for plasterboard/concrete etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dp639 wrote: »

My question is this, are there any 6+ inch rawplugs or similar idea that could go through my plasterboard and insulation and hit the concrete block, if so it would then be a job for life instead of waiting for the time to have to do it all again.

Thanks

Yes the are called frame fixings. Don't buy them in B&Q or woodies if you can help it, they are very cheap in the likes of chadwicks, You'll get a hand full of them for a few euro. They work very well for this sort of thing, I don't like putting curtain rails into plaster board either.

6" sounds very long, how big is the gap between your plaster board and the brick? Are you allowing like a 2" gap between the plaster board and brick then say 4" in the brick?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Great stuff, they look like the job I need for this. The gap between the plaster board and block is 4 inchs to allow for the 4 inches of insulation we have on the inside of the inside block.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Advertisement