Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bacon shoulder with bone in

Options
  • 07-09-2011 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

Hi bought a Bacon shoulder joint with bone the last day, i've obviously cooked bacon and cabbage before but wondering how i should treat this joint, it is properly large being about 3 kilo. If i'm boiling it I presume I would have to add additional cooking time for bone compared to normal bacon.
    Anybody any experience with roasting/using a slow cooker (or any other ideas?)

Thanks (nothing really on google for bacon on the bone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

But if you Google 'cooking ham on bone time' this pops up as the first result... ;)

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1312/ham-cooking-times.asp

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Oops forgot to search for Ham :) suppose will just follow those after soaking for a period to reduce the saltyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Most modern ham and bacon isn't nearly as salty as of old so I find that soaking it isn't necessary anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread, but I have the exact same problem. My husband brought home a 3kg bon-in bacon shoulder :eek:

The cooking times on the linked site are all for baking the beast in the oven. Do I not have to boil it first? Or should I go for the cooking bag option?

I'm quite a keen cook but out of my depth with this one. I'm not Irish and have no experience with ham as a main meal. To be honest, I don't really like it either :o but something has to be done with it. Husband and sons will eat it happily and I guess I will have to invite a couple of people over, too.

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And again, a Google of 'boiling ham' brings up this page on the same site...

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--753/boiling-ham.asp

• Advertisement

Thanks, but my main question remains: Can you really bake it in the oven without boiling it first?
    Don't think I have a pot large enough. My huge pasta pot is not wide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks, but my main question remains: Can you really bake it in the oven without boiling it first?

Yes you can.
    It will be a bit saltier though so maybe best to soak it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

It's a joint of meat - so you're cooking it as if it was pork, beef or lamb. I don't know when I last boiled ham or bacon. It always goes into the oven. I generally find that ham and bacon is moister from cooking it in the oven.

Thanks! Will give it a go then. (And forbid certain people to do meat shopping.)

Advertisement