Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime writer recommendation please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bobie

Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch series are very good, have read most of Tess Gerritsen and think there great and easy read,
    Reading Lisa Gardner at the moment, very gruesome but good reading,
    Laura Lipman is also very good, "What the Dead Know" is very good,
    A very good site for listings of books and reviews and where you can keep your own Library of books you have read for your own record is
    http://www.librarything.com/ should try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Without a doubt Raymond Chandler, if you havent picked up one of his yet i highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

Some one had said they did not like Alex Barclay but I quite liked Darkhouse and the follow up The Caller.
    Plus one on Kathy Reichs, Karin Slaughter and John Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 onzie

Ann Cleeves - esp the Shetland Quartet.

I love the idea of crime novels set in remote or unusual locations and where the cast of suspects and victims is pretty much locked down from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

:cool:
    Caros wrote: »
    Karin Slaughter, Chelsea Cain, Lisa Gardner, Tami Hoag, Chris Carter are my recco's.[/QUOT

LOVE LOVE LOVE Karin and Tami! :) They are 2 of my favourite writers ever. My last bf couldn't understand why I loved to read Karin Slaughter so much! I've read most of KS's books but not all of them, i kept telling him. I love the characters so much in her books, Jeffery Tolliver nom nom nom and Lena Adams. Tami is an amazing storyteller, even though she is not as graphic in her writing. Still Waters YAY! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

+ 1 on the recommendations for John Connolly and Karin Slaughter

I have enjoyed all their books and although you can read them as stand alone novels, I would still recommend that you start the Charlie Parker series (JC) and the Sara Linton series (KS) from book 1 and read them through. Very good reads and they will keep you busy for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭RichT

No one has mentioned The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

1. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

2. The Girl Who Played With Fire

3. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

Have read the first two and thoroughly enjoyed them. Am saving/teasing myself for the last book.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think they're appalling books :(

Well, the first was OK - slow and could see the end coming a mile off, but quite good to read. The second was just ridiculous. The third was awful - may as well have been called "all men are bastards". Not to mention the painful detail of brand names, coffee drinking and dinners.

I'm not a fan of Karin Slaughter; I've tried 3 or 4 now, but I think they're aimed at a female audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jensennhook

Edgar Wallace
    Agatha Christie
    Edgar Allan Poe Jr
    John Grisham
    Sydney Sheldon

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

OP here. I've just finished reading John Connolly - Every Dead Thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Couldn't put the book down. Let's just say my 5 month old baby has spent lots of time watching the Disney channel over the last couple of days :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

Ive read all Michael Connellys books, most of them really good. Recently I read RJ Ellory The Anniversary Man then A quiet belief in angels. Such different styles for one writer, amazing. Will have a few lined up for after Saints of Newyork, Brilliant. My all time favourite writer is Philip Margolin, read them all, never see them in book shops but all on amazon. Larsson, ya! :cool:, good but couldnt face the third one yet but will one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammet and Agatha Christie.

Just finished the new Michael Connelly book (The Drop) - pretty underwhelming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Eoin wrote: »
    Just finished the new Michael Connelly book (The Drop) - pretty underwhelming :(

Could not put that down. Read it in about 2 days

I was a bit disappointed for a Bosch book, but I think it was still an improvement over the Haller books.
    still - at least Bosch still has up to 5 years left with a badge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Reading RJ Ellorys Bad Signs at the moment. What a book. He is leagues ahead of other writers imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

The Kellerman family are excellent :)

Actually, I haven't read anything by Faye Kellerman but Jonathan Kellerman has long been a favourite crime author of mine and then along came Jesse Kellerman following in those footsteps. Jesse has 3 novels out, I'd say Jonathan has a few dozen at this stage!

(I'm a big fan of James Patterson too, but I prefer Kellerman and I don't think they've been mentioned yet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

The Kellerman family are excellent :)

Actually, I haven't read anything by Faye Kellerman but Jonathan Kellerman has long been a favourite crime author of mine and then along came Jesse Kellerman following in those footsteps. Jesse has 3 novels out, I'd say Jonathan has a few dozen at this stage!

(I'm a big fan of James Patterson too, but I prefer Jonathan Kellerman and I don't think he or his family have been mentioned yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

I've enjoyed the authours you have listed and have also greatly enjoyed John Connolly - http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/[/QUOTE]

I totally agree I love John Connolly's books. A new Irish crime writer I just came upon is Declan Hughes. Very promising what I have read of his so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Karin Slaughter, Karen Rose, James Patterson, Andrew Gross *He co-wrote with James P* Richard Montanari, Chris Carter, The Kellerman family, Michael and John Connolly, Mark Billingham, Val McDermid, Lee Child, Jeff Abbott, Alex Kava, Tana French, JD Robb and Jeffery Deaver are some of my favourite authors :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭argentum

David Baldacci
    stephen leather
    Jeffery Deaver
    Simon Kernick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Karen Rose is one of my faves at the moment: like that I love Karin Slaughter, Tess Gerritsen, Michael Connolly. I also really like Anne Holt: and I normally have an absolute aversion to translated books: I always think they lose something!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

Sorry for the long list :) but these would be my top crime/thriller authors that I'd recommend (I'm probably leaving out a good few that I can't remember at the moment). The first seven are probably my favourites, but only a slight cut above the rest.

Jeffrey Deaver
    Michael Harvey
    Linwood Barclay
    Denis Lehane
    Michael Connelly
    Harlan Coben
    John Connolly

Alex Barclay
    Brad Meltzer
    Mark Gimenez
    Jeff Lindsay
    Andrew Grant
    Joseph Teller
    Alex Kava
    Vince Flynn
    Anthony Zuiker
    PJ Tracy
    Linda Fairstein
    Andrew Gross
    Christopher Reich
    C.J. Box
    Lisa Scottoline
    Sean Black
    Gregg Hurrwitz
    Kathy Reichs
    Karin Slaughter
    Lee Child
    Jeff Abbott
    Jonathon Kellerman (and his wife Faye / son Jesse)
    Stephen White

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Christopher Brookmyre - Scottish writer. I suppose his emphasis is more on satire and humour and political comment but great crimre writing at the end of the day. I have read most of his stuff and he's brilliant.

I see on his website that he is getting a bit darker and more serious in his latest offerings.

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Karin slaughter dont like Patricia cornwell, Kathy Reich is ok.

Tania carver, cage of bones is fantastic as are her 2 previous books the creeper and the surrogate.

Linwood Barclay is ok as is Jeffery dever and Alex Barclay.

I liked Jo nesbos snowman, didn't like the redeamer.

Also Chris carter the writer of the crucifix killer. That was a good book.

Karin slaughter dont like Patricia cornwell, Kathy Reich is ok.

Tania carver, cage of bones is fantastic as are her 2 previous books the creeper and the surrogate.

Linwood Barclay is ok as is Jeffery dever and Alex Barclay.

I liked Jo nesbos snowman, didn't like the redeamer.

Also Chris carter the writer of the crucifix killer. That was a good book.

Crucifix Killer was one hell of a book :D couldnt put it down

He has another one out haven't read it yet but my mother loves it, I told her to get the crucifix killer but it was out if stock.

He has another one out haven't read it yet but my mother loves it, I told her to get the crucifix killer but it was out if stock.

That book is just as good, if you havent already read Alex Kava's: A Perfect Evil I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

doomed wrote: »
    Jo Nesbo - Top Notch Thrillers that will keep you reading till the small hours

Second (or third) this I absolutely love Jo Nesbo. Just preordered his new one today :D
    RichT wrote: »
    No one has mentioned The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.
    Eoin wrote: »
    I think they're appalling books :(

Well, the first was OK - slow and could see the end coming a mile off, but quite good to read. The second was just ridiculous. The third was awful - may as well have been called "all men are bastards". Not to mention the painful detail of brand names, coffee drinking and dinners.

I thought that a lot of that had to do with the tragedy surrounding their publication. I thought the first book was far more 'accomplished' then the other two, I would imagine that had Larsson not died subsequent to handing them in, a huge amount of editing would have gone in to all three books. I think it would have resulted in the two other books being broken up to reflect the plot/subplot dynamic in the earlier one, if you follow me.

Also regarding the 'all men are bastards' issue, I think this had less to do with 'all men are bastards' and addressing the high levels of violence against women that Larsson wrote a lot about in his journalistic endeavors.

That said I enjoyed the Millenium trilogy, but really only in that it opened my eyes to the kind of crime novel that I like, ultra violent, which probably says more about me then any of the authors :p

• Advertisement

meganj wrote: »
    doomed wrote: »

That said I enjoyed the Millenium trilogy, but really only in that it opened my eyes to the kind of crime novel that I like, ultra violent, which probably says more about me then any of the authors :p

If you like violence, tom Knox the genesis secret has a lot of torture, violence, and gore in it, but that's more towards the middle of the book. I really enjoyed it.

Advertisement