Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime writer recommendation please

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I really didn't like The Genesis Secret I don't know what it was, I think Knox's style just isn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

meganj wrote: »
    I really didn't like The Genesis Secret I don't know what it was, I think Knox's style just isn't for me.

I liked it, but didnt like marks of Cain, not enough violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Really struggled to finish the Crucifix Killer. Worst rubbish ever. I like David Baldacci, Lee Child, Simon Kernick, John Le Carre, Robert Goddard, Richard North Patterson

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭argentum

I think they have been made into a tv series but I'm after reading the full series of books by Lynda La Plante featuring a detective call Anna Travis about 8 books in total and I have to say they were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Edgar Allen Poe - Murders in the Rue Morgue
    it's about language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I had a similar question, and was wondering what people would recommend.

I've very limited experience with Crime books, and have read a lot of books I didn't particularly like. I was wondering are there any authors that fit my description below?

Ones I have enjoyed were books by Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, Stieg Larsson and Hennik Menkell.
    Ones I didn't too much care for were John/ Michael Connolly, Jo Nesbo, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham, Ian Rankin, Neil Bateman.
    I would be interested in something that's well written and has interesting characters, or something humorous with good dialog like Leonard or Hiassen.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

fjon wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I had a similar question, and was wondering what people would recommend.

I've very limited experience with Crime books, and have read a lot of books I didn't particularly like. I was wondering are there any authors that fit my description below?

Ones I have enjoyed were books by Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, Stieg Larsson and Hennik Menkell.
    Ones I didn't too much care for were John/ Michael Connolly, Jo Nesbo, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham, Ian Rankin, Neil Bateman.
    I would be interested in something that's well written and has interesting characters, or something humorous with good dialog like Leonard or Hiassen.

Any thoughts?

An author I cant recommend highly enough is George P Pelecanos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

dinorebel wrote: »
    An author I cant recommend highly enough is George P Pelecanos.

Thanks - any particular book I should start off with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

fjon wrote: »
    Thanks - any particular book I should start off with?
    Pick the 1st you see although he does have a slight chronological slant in some stories they all stand alone pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

James Ellroy and David Peace are excellent. Another book I loved was Winterland by Irish author Alan Glynn, well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Peter James "Dead" series are excellent. This is the first book and theres about 6 more. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Simple-Ds-Roy-Grace/dp/0330546015/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote is a mind blowingly good crime novel. Although a self-styled "non-fiction" (although Capote does employ some licence) novel as it documents real events, it is unbelievably well written and captivating. It simply has to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Yavahnna

It is not like a thriller, but it belongs to the crime fiction genre, it's The Search for M by Doron Rabinovici. He uses an unusuall way to write crime fiction, it's not the traditional structure.Basically this book plays with you, since it's based in the identity issues in Vienna during the post-war times, how the second generation of survivors of the Holocaust and WWII deal with this past tormenting their parents and grandparents. It's a very interesting and entertaining book, written on episodes. But I recommend a pen and paper to make a small map while you read to you can understand the identities of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I've read quite a few Kathy Reichs and while they were quite good, I found that the more of her books I read, the more predictable they became.
    Just finished The Leopard by Jo Nesbo and I loved it! So many twists in it that I ended up staying up til around 4 am this morning to finish it!
    I'm dying to get my hands on more of his stuff.

Advertisement