Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test in Finglas

• 07-09-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just got the date for my test in Finglas, Dublin - 30th of September. I can already feel the nerves coming on..

Anybody have any particular tips concerning that spot? My instructor will take me round in Finglas to check the tricky spots before the test, so I'm mostly worried about the testers themselves and their personalities and such. I can see that Finglas has one of the lowest pass rates in Ireland, so I'm looking for anything that might improve my chances (Beside actually knowing how to drive correctly and so forth.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Ow, come on, nobody's taken/tried to take the test in Finglas? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

I done my c test in finglas,i found the tester to be very straight forward.I don't believe in all this stuff about how the tester was out to get me.Don't stress about it and leave your driving do the talking.The routes around finglas are fairly standard.I am doing my e+c test on the 22nd september there,and all the lessons(routes) i was brought on around there i didn't find to difficult in an artic.The traffic is usually heavy around there which does slow up the test which is also good.
    All i can say is don't stress and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

timogen wrote: »
    I done my c test in finglas,i found the tester to be very straight forward.I don't believe in all this stuff about how the tester was out to get me.Don't stress about it and leave your driving do the talking.The routes around finglas are fairly standard.I am doing my e+c test on the 22nd september there,and all the lessons(routes) i was brought on around there i didn't find to difficult in an artic.The traffic is usually heavy around there which does slow up the test which is also good.
    All i can say is don't stress and good luck.

Fair play Timogen, I have the C Licence myself. Was gonna go for the Artic but my instructor retired so I put it on the long finger. How you finding the tail swing? I also hear the reverse is a bi*ch!

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Fair play Timogen, I have the C Licence myself. Was gonna go for the Artic but my instructor retired so I put it on the long finger. How you finding the tail swing? I also hear the reverse is a bi*ch!
    To be really honest faith+1 i love it,lessons are going great and the instructor is top notch.But the 2555 merc v8 makes it seem so easy.
    I am lucky enough that at 37 to have drove a wide range of large vehicles already from 40ton artic dumpers to 360hp fendt's with 3 axle trailors, so reversing is not an issue thank god.
    I am actually finding the artic easier than the rigid,I thought the size would be an issue but it isn't.Maybe it's the "L" plates on something that size motorist do tend to give you a wide birth which helps as well.
    Funds were the only thing that held me back from doing it before.I have two more lessons before my test and i am even looking forward to them,nerves of the test haven't set in yet but i'm sure they are on there way.
    But i would say definetly go for it,and feel free to pm me i still have all the books and dvds.

To be really honest faith+1 i love it,lessons are going great and the instructor is top notch.But the 2555 merc v8 makes it seem so easy.
    I am lucky enough that at 37 to have drove a wide range of large vehicles already from 40ton artic dumpers to 360hp fendt's with 3 axle trailors, so reversing is not an issue thank god.
    I am actually finding the artic easier than the rigid,I thought the size would be an issue but it isn't.Maybe it's the "L" plates on something that size motorist do tend to give you a wide birth which helps as well.
    Funds were the only thing that held me back from doing it before.I have two more lessons before my test and i am even looking forward to them,nerves of the test haven't set in yet but i'm sure they are on there way.
    But i would say definetly go for it,and feel free to pm me i still have all the books and dvds.

Is that model a semi-Automatic by any chance? I drove a Semi Auto Rigid when I was starting out. The instructor was telling me how easier to was to drive them and it counts as a Manual transmission on my licence yada yada yada. It was just as well I thought the instructor was a moron and went to another instuctor because I then found out that 90-95% of trucks on Irish roads are 4 over 4.

Had I passed the test with a semi transmission I think I'd be rightfully screwed. Are you looking for a career as a long distance driver? My mate passed his Artic test earlier in the year and he can't get work because he hasn't got the experience, Minimum of 2 years. Which begs the old question " How can I get the Job without the experience and how can I get the experince without the Job"

• Advertisement

Is that model a semi-Automatic by any chance? I drove a Semi Auto Rigid when I was starting out. The instructor was telling me how easier to was to drive them and it counts as a Manual transmission on my licence yada yada yada. It was just as well I thought the instructor was a moron and went to another instuctor because I then found out that 90-95% of trucks on Irish roads are 4 over 4.

Had I passed the test with a semi transmission I think I'd be rightfully screwed. Are you looking for a career as a long distance driver? My mate passed his Artic test earlier in the year and he can't get work because he hasn't got the experience, Minimum of 2 years. Which begs the old question " How can I get the Job without the experience and how can I get the experince without the Job"[/QUOTE
    Yes it's an eps gearbox, but the the driving of the lorry is still the same,i started driving rigids for a living in 2004 an fy hino 4 beside 4 a renault 4 beside 4,both with splitters in 2006 i was given a hino 700 which is also 4 beside 4, but also drove a 2007 man with 4 beside 4 you only use the clutch when starting off from a stop then use a button on the gear lever as the clutch,i also drove a 2006 merc rigid with the eps and that's how i got used to it,i also drove a 2006 scania which was the only one that had 4 over 4 .What i am getting at is lorries are about the same size the gearbox shouldn't be an issue like as you say you drove the 4 over 4 gearbox does that limit you to driving that type of lorry.I would doubt very much 90% of lorries in ireland are 4 over 4 the only lorry ive seen that gearbox in is scania which means 90%to 95% of lorries in ireland are scania, see were my doubt comes from.
    The getting work issue i do understand a catch 22 but what i did was get the employer to test me over a week at my expense and that worked.

Yes it's an eps gearbox, but the the driving of the lorry is still the same,i started driving rigids for a living in 2004 an fy hino 4 beside 4 a renault 4 beside 4,both with splitters in 2006 i was given a hino 700 which is also 4 beside 4, but also drove a 2007 man with 4 beside 4 you only use the clutch when starting off from a stop then use a button on the gear lever as the clutch,i also drove a 2006 merc rigid with the eps and that's how i got used to it,i also drove a 2006 scania which was the only one that had 4 over 4 .What i am getting at is lorries are about the same size the gearbox shouldn't be an issue like as you say you drove the 4 over 4 gearbox does that limit you to driving that type of lorry.I would doubt very much 90% of lorries in ireland are 4 over 4 the only lorry ive seen that gearbox in is scania which means 90%to 95% of lorries in ireland are scania, see were my doubt comes from.
    The getting work issue i do understand a catch 22 but what i did was get the employer to test me over a week at my expense and that worked.

No not at all. My point is that I'd recommend learning in a 4 over 4 as opposed to a semi auto. It's a lot easier to move from a manual to an auto than the other way down if you know what I mean. Anyway good look with your test and keep us up to date with how you get on.

No not at all. My point is that I'd recommend learning in a 4 over 4 as opposed to a semi auto. It's a lot easier to move from a manual to an auto than the other way down if you know what I mean. Anyway good look with your test and keep us up to date with how you get on.
    I think once people start on the road of truck driving they should familiarise themselves with all types of gearboxes and should go beyond just the instructors vehicles now while i drove the eps gearbox lorry as it was the one i was least used to, the driving school also had a scania that has a 4 beside 4.But i feel that while i have the gearbox's mastered and someone going for the c+e licence should be able to use varied gearboxes the eps is easy to use and i thought best for the test.When i started lessons for the rigid in 2004 it was in a volvo fh with a straight six and a complete pile of scrap.I do understand what your are saying about semi auto to manual but there is not much of a difference in them really you probably have to take more time with the eps.
    I will definately keep ye posted at least i don't have all that cpc crap to go through.

I will definately keep ye posted at least i don't have all that cpc crap to go through.

Don't get me started on the CPC!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Finglas is by far the biggest test centre in Ireland. You could get any one of a dozen examiners on the day of your test.So you can't really prepare for their personallity. If you can drive well enough, you will pass. It is that simple ( in theory ).
    Hi all,

I just got the date for my test in Finglas, Dublin - 30th of September. I can already feel the nerves coming on..

Anybody have any particular tips concerning that spot? My instructor will take me round in Finglas to check the tricky spots before the test, so I'm mostly worried about the testers themselves and their personalities and such. I can see that Finglas has one of the lowest pass rates in Ireland, so I'm looking for anything that might improve my chances (Beside actually knowing how to drive correctly and so forth.)

• Advertisement

Done it :) got a pass with only 2 grade 2's.:D
    I will post about how the test went when i get time tomorrow.

Advertisement