Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Oryx what do you think of the Kettlebells? I am hearing good things about it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Oryx what do you think of the Kettlebells? I am hearing good things about it so far.

They are excellent for strength, cardio and core. Just make sure you get some instruction rather than horsing in to them as it's easy to pick up an injury - esp with 16kg or heavier.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As pgibbo says, they are really good for strength etc. But youve got to learn proper technique, and not just from a youtube vid. Its your glutes that need to be working, rather than your arms. Its very easy to get injured if you are swinging 16-20kgs around with poor technique!

Also if you are buying your own bells, dont go for the 4.5kg ones in tesco, :) which are only useful as a paperweight. You wont make gains if the weights are too light.

For me, kbs give the best bang for your buck. I see very fast gains from using them, especially in a class situation where you tend to push more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    Last year, the very moment I exited the lake after the death plunge, I knew I could finally drop Tough Guy. :D Never intended to do it this year. If you want to, you can take over the TG mantle. That box is well and truly ticked, here!

Meh...I'm strictly a fair weather person...first sign of cold & rain and I'm done, never mind running around a water-based obstacle course, attired in a Borat mankini, in zero temps...I'll leave that to the real tough guys & gals.

Having said that, the W200 and the Tri an Mhi HIM were both character-builders this year...

I plan to do w200 next year if the timing fits. Even now I dread it :) I am doing the craic assault course this weekend. Just for fun, no ice and no electric shocks will be a nice change. :)

• Advertisement

Spent 40mins on the turbo last night, just plain old pedalling at moderate pace. Few half hearted core exercises afterwards.

6k run this morning. Nice old run, better than my last attempt on Saturday!

1600m in the pool this morning, 45 mins approx. Really enjoyed this swim. Took very few breaks, for the last while in the pool Ive been stopping every 100m or so. But today it felt good and I kept going. I tried a more twisting stroke, which might not have been faster, but it felt so much easier to swim that way. Though I might go back to the coached sessions and the coach will go 'what are you doing?' :)

Did a 10k run today, with a little bit of swimming and crawling in mud thrown in. Lost one of my tough guy gloves which I'm a bit sad about. :) but sure it was The Craic :)

Easy bike today. This is the last day of my unfocused 'off' time. And I woke up not wanting to go out at all so I kept it handy because I'll have enough pressure and training headaches in the next year.

No real after effects from yesterday, which is good. My only worry about doing the craic was that I would turn my ankle or something so it all worked out grand. It was nice to do something different and short, a bit of fun before everything gets serious.

Kettlebells. What the instructor described as a 'shock and awe' session. Dear god. Doubled up weights. Swings. Cleans. Snatches. Squats. Used 2 x 12 for most. Switched to one 16kg for some single arm stuff, and 2 x 8kg for a set that had kneeling with the weights extended above your head. :) Happy with it, as I'm beginning to get the strength needed to increase the weight. I'll get back to squatting 20kg x 10 reps yet!

• Advertisement

Ran this evening. 65 mins. Had a bad day in work and was a bit grr heading out but after ten minutes running in the misty rain I was beginning to destress. Turned into a nice run. Not sure of distance, but about 12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Niceone Oryx, really looking forward to tracking this log over the winter!

W200 fit in well lastyear for austria, but if the weather isn't good I'd drop it; its fairly close to the race (was my last 'big' weekend), and there were quite a few accidents on it as a result. In terms of training it was a great mental boost for me, but in retrospect it was a risky event to do so close to the A-race.

Must give this kettlebell stuff a go. I can barely pickup an 8kg weight; MCOSs pushup challenge lastyear nearly killed me and then I let it all go again just when I was making progress :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Must give this kettlebell stuff a go. I can barely pickup an 8kg weight; MCOSs pushup challenge lastyear nearly killed me and then I let it all go again just when I was making progress :D

That's shocking bad. Do you get someone else to lift your bike for you? :pac:

Keep meaning to ask you about the kettlebells actually Oryx, how do you find the workouts? I was going to do a course to use them as a rehab tool for work but would be interested in them as a S&C thing aswell. Crossfit is another thingy I want to try. So many things to do, so little time. :(

I love kettlebells. Ive said it already in this thread. :) The workouts I go to are short and sharp. Usually supersets, building each set with a new move till youre doing a combo of say, two arm swings, single arm swings, alternating, cleans, press, squats, snatch, kneel down. Followed by full getups, or some other floor stuff. (which is handy, all you want to do is lie on the floor after a hard set) Results come fast, Ive only gone for 3-4 weeks and already the weight I can do has increased. I hadnt done any for 6 - 8 months because of the time pressure of tri training, and my strength suffered. I think thats part of the reason I was slowing down coming to the end of the season, my core was gone all flabby. :) Its all coming back now, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Crossfit is another thingy I want to try. So many things to do, so little time. :(

If thinking of doing Crossfit, I'd have a look at the S&C WOD on the Crossfit Endurance site if you are doing endurance sports. It's targeted for endurance athletes. You'll find Crossfit and CFE use KBs quite a bit too.

Have you been to the Crossfit box in Dublin?

pgibbo wrote: »
    If thinking of doing Crossfit, I'd have a look at the S&C WOD on the Crossfit Endurance site if you are doing endurance sports. It's targeted for endurance athletes. You'll find Crossfit and CFE use KBs quite a bit too.

Have you been to the Crossfit box in Dublin?

Nope what's that?

I'm looking at these guys http://www.southdublinsc.ie/ for group S&C. Main reason I'm looking at it all is to help motivate me to slot it back into my routine than to learn to be honest.

I'm looking at these guys http://www.southdublinsc.ie/ for group S&C. Main reason I'm looking at it all is to help motivate me to slot it back into my routine than to learn to be honest.

That looks exactly like the sort of thing I've been looking for! 110euro a month still looks expensive, but not quite as scary as the 170 a month to join up with the crossfit gym in dublin. Have you heard any reviews of their setup?

That's shocking bad. Do you get someone else to lift your bike for you? :pac:

Oi! im sure there's something in the charter about not picking on the weak in here :pac:

Turbo. Short session, strictly speaking this ought to be a rest day. 45 mins warm up, single leg x 4 then just held it at 80 cad 130s Hr. Keeping it easy. :) next week I start the real sessions.

That looks exactly like the sort of thing I've been looking for! 110euro a month still looks expensive, but not quite as scary as the 170 a month to join up with the crossfit gym in dublin. Have you heard any reviews of their setup?

Nope, heard about them because they guy who set it up went to the same school as me (so obviously he's awesome, we all are), I've been following his progress on facebook over the last couple of months, some of the regulars on the fitness forum are familiar with Dave's setup so if they're not putting it down it's as good as any review.

The membership thing puts me off, I can't see myself going to enough classes to justify €110 a month - though for a regular it seems to be a much better offer than Crossfit Ireland and Crossfit Dublin...

Must try blag me a free intro class :) The specific team training group might be a good option if you could get a group of people with similar goals.

Oi! im sure there's something in the charter about not picking on the weak in here :pac:

So if you get a free intro, let me know, I'll go that night - that way I'll know I won't be the weakest one there! :)

• Advertisement

Didn't get up in time to swim today, and then couldn't get out to run. So did 40 mins of kettlebells and core work. Not a total loss, then.

Out the bed this morning at 6. 2k swim. 50 mins. And there was a time I wouldn't even be awake right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

MCOSs pushup challenge lastyear nearly killed me and then I let it all go again just when I was making progress :D

Tell me about it! I managed to get myself to a point where I could do 100 in one go and was generally very pleased with that. I got down for some push ups last week and registered a paltry 30 before my arms shook uncontrollably :rolleyes:

Ha ha Oryx welcome to the world of silly o clock training :D

So if you get a free intro, let me know, I'll go that night - that way I'll know I won't be the weakest one there! :)
    I tried that 100 pushup thingy. I cant remember but I only got to 30 or so. :p I gave it up as a bad job, my shoulders were wrecked from it.
    Ha ha Oryx welcome to the world of silly o clock training

I only do it so I get to feel smug for the rest of the day.

I tried that 100 pushup thingy. I cant remember but I only got to 30 or so. :p I gave it up as a bad job, my shoulders were wrecked from it.

I was going to try it aswell, was doing a lot of S&C work at the time and push ups were the last thing I wanted to do on top of the evil crap I had in my programme. Horrible sports massage on Tuesday should have taught me that I need so start again to prevent that pain but I've still done nothing. :D

Think I need to start the early morning swims - my gym doesn't open till 7 though. :rolleyes:

The pushup challenge clashed with high swim mileage, and thats my excuse for why my arms couldn't take it. :)

The pool I use opens at 6.45. (Takes a while to get to it.) And still the swim lane was packed when I got there just after it opened. We are not the only crazy folk around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Last year, the very moment I exited the lake after the death plunge, I knew I could finally drop Tough Guy. :D Never intended to do it this year. If you want to, you can take over the TG mantle. That box is well and truly ticked, here!

How would you rate "The Craic" in the end? Sounds like a piece of pi$$ for TG veteran?
    Also, how the atmosphere/numbers?

Izoard wrote: »
    How would you rate "The Craic" in the end? Sounds like a piece of pi$$ for TG veteran?
    Also, how the atmosphere/numbers?
    Tough guy is kinda out on its own. It would be hard to compare it with anything. They don't believe in health and safety. They just want to hurt you till you lie down and cry. This event was fun but really not at all similar to tg. It lacked that sadist touch.

Ran this morning. Which seemed like a grand idea looking out at the gentle mist. The mist turned into pelting rain as soon as I left the house though. It was like I had this big cloud following me around chucking buckets over me. Fun, in a weirdly warped way. Couldn't see with the water pouring down my face at some points maybe thats why it was a ridiculously slow run even though it felt fine? Just over an hour. :( Anyway. Good practice for the hard days to come. Just have to get my run speeds back to a decent level.

• Advertisement

Another icky misty damp day, so no bike. Too damn dangerous on the roads around here. Did turbo instead. 10 min w/u. Single leg, 6 each, 45on 15 off. Spin ups x 6 40 on 20 off. Then main set 15/12/10 min @ 135/145/155 hr. Cool down. 75 min total.

Straight off the bike and out the door for a run. 6k 34 mins. Legs were stiff after bike. But good total session all in all. Making the best of a shoite day.

Still have to decide whether to use my usual turbo bike for the coached sessions which start this week, or bring the giant which is a better fit but has really good tyres. Hmm.

Advertisement