Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kettlebells today. Tired all day but this woke me up. Good set. Hard. Next time I get to do pullups after it too. So better practice. :)

Am following the q&a thread with mcos right now. Mostly its really informative and great reading. But its also slightly terrifying as hearing about his experience and level of commitment means the realisation of what I've taken on is sinking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Oryx wrote: »
    Am following the q&a thread with mcos right now. Mostly its really informative and great reading. But its also slightly terrifying as hearing about his experience and level of commitment means the realisation of what I've taken on is sinking in.

Hi Oryx - where can I find that thread?

I can't link to it cos I'm using my phone. Its called 'ARTist in the spotlight, this week shotgunmcos', in main A/R/T forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nope what's that?

I'm looking at these guys http://www.southdublinsc.ie/ for group S&C. Main reason I'm looking at it all is to help motivate me to slot it back into my routine than to learn to be honest.

Aplogies for the delayed response. I was away for a few days. Check this out. Not sure if the location suits or times, etc but have heard good reviews....I have no affiliation and don't even know the lads that run it. AFAIK, they post on the fitness forum too

First coached swim of the winter season tonight. Was nervous because I didn't know how broke up my technique had become or how much I had slowed. After a 750 warm up we had a 100m tt. Happy to do that @ 1.47 without feeling like dying by the end. Not so bad after all. Lots of technical work including one minute in the deep end, upright kicking with arms folded. Agony. Coach sure is on form this year. Gonna be a good term. :)

• Advertisement

A thing of beauty....

Just found this today, and am posting it here as a reminder of what to aspire to. Someday... someday.... :p

Did my first coached turbo session tonight. It hurt. It hurt a lot. :) And ten non stop minute long core exercises to finish. Wonderful. On the plus side, coaches are helpful and full of tips on everything from bike fit to how to drink on the bike. I can see vast improvement coming from this.

Another club session at 7am, swimming this time. It was good, I tend to push more with others around me. 1750m. 45 mins. I thought this would be hard after the turbo last night but it was ok. Wore a nose clip for the first time as the chlorine is giving me really bad sinus problems. It felt weird but really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Oryx, something about the vid clip, you just can't take your eyes off it, truly a thing of beauty!

Your coached turbo sessions you mentioned, is that with a group/club?

Your coached turbo sessions you mentioned, is that with a group/club?
    Its a new thing the tri club have set up with a local cyclist/pt/coach. He already coaches the local cycling club. I think with us he assumed a pretty good level of fitness because god, it was evil. Its the best way to turbo though because you definitely push much harder than you would on your own. He had us spinning faster than I would ever have tried in my own sessions. (He told us he maxed at 155 cad. Jesus. :D) His partner was there too, very helpful in giving a female perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Another icky misty damp day, so no bike. Too damn dangerous on the roads around here. Did turbo instead. 10 min w/u. Single leg, 6 each, 45on 15 off. Spin ups x 6 40 on 20 off. Then main set 15/12/10 min @ 135/145/155 hr. Cool down. 75 min total.
    Did my first coached turbo session tonight. It hurt. It hurt a lot. :) And ten non stop minute long core exercises to finish. Wonderful. On the plus side, coaches are helpful and full of tips on everything from bike fit to how to drink on the bike. I can see vast improvement coming from this.

Hi Oryx,

I might be on the same road as you this coming season so I'll be lurking around here a bit. Thought I might as well say 'Hi' and let you know that I'll be trying to pick up whatever tips I can! :)
    So, to start with, seeing as you're in Turbo mode, do you have any recommendations or links to good Turbo sessions. I'm fairly ignorant of various drills, workouts, etc apart from trawling online so any pointers greatfully received.

Red

Hi Red. Nice to know that someone else is along for the insanity of IM #1. :)

I dont know that I'm at all qualified to give you tips on turbo. I spent last year turboing alone, mostly using sets I got passed to me from someone in another club. Lots of technique, and hr intervals like you quoted above. To be honest, I probably didnt work hard enough, I didnt see enough of a difference. And the session I did last night, well, I felt like it was my first time using my damn quads. :) It was spinning, 1 min out of the saddle, 1 min recovery, then 2, 3, 4 mins, at high cadence, starting in small ring front, easiest gear rear, moving down a gear on each set. You could try it. Its painful if you do it right! W/u before, and we did another technique based set after that wasnt as difficult.

I will be updating here regularly as usual, and if you want a better run down on what a set was, just ask. And good luck with your own challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

A thing of beauty....

Just found this today, and am posting it here as a reminder of what to aspire to. Someday... someday.... :p

One of the best there's ever been. Shame he got the sh*t kicked out of the him during the Oz qualification race for the Beijing games.

Ran this morning. Sigh. I'm so slow its depressing. Yes, I was 5 mins faster than last weeks run/swim in the lashing rain. Yes, I did stop to stretch my calves. Yes, my quads are still trashed from Thursday. But god, 57 minutes to do 11k is PATHETIC.

Move your damn ass, Oryx.

Out on the bike today. Seems ages since I was out on the road. I'm being told that right now I should be base building so this was designed as a moderate ride. Did 48k with hr averaging 135 or so. Apart from a mad sprint to catch up with another cyclist and a few bad hills. Kept cad over 80.

I've just got a copy of the Black Book too, just to see what kind of training that recommends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ran this morning. Sigh. I'm so slow its depressing. Yes, I was 5 mins faster than last weeks run/swim in the lashing rain. Yes, I did stop to stretch my calves. Yes, my quads are still trashed from Thursday. But god, 57 minutes to do 11k is PATHETIC.

Move your damn ass, Oryx.

That's not a bad time. Sure it took me nearly that to do less than 10k yesterday.

Good spin today, been dying to get out for a long spin before the weather gets too woeful but it's so windy. :eek:

What's the Black Book? Tri book?

Its a cycling training manual by a guy called Pete read. Have heard it mentioned so many times I thought I'd have a look.

Ran this morning. Nice run 6k 32min. Kettlebells tonight. Hard non stop session. Whats wrong with all the coaches this week? They're all on a pain mission... Did pullups afterwards. Just a few to start, my puny arms need to build up.

I went browsing running techiques to help me figure out what to focus on :) and came up with the attached which might be of interest to you http://www.catherinamckiernan.com/Documents/CHIRUNNING%20REMINDERS.pdf

Swim session. Low on distance. Lots of technical stuff on kicking and stroke length. Had real problems with breath during the kicking sets. Not sure why, perhaps its getting used to the nose clip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can I ask why you wear a nose clip? (apologies if it's been asked / explained before)

I've developed a severe sinus problem from either the water or the chlorine. Without a nose clip I would be sneezing and so blocked up I wouldn't be able to sleep. Lasts for about a day after every swim. Started wearing a clip last week and it cures the problem.

Turbo session. Stuff I've not done before, lots of time out of the saddle. Wore a hrm and kept an eye on the rate. Its a really hard set and as I want more base work right now I don't want to be wrecking myself. Plenty of time for that. So I'm trying to balance it a bit. I'm probably wrong, cos what do I know about it? But I'm getting a lot of conflicting information and trying to figure whats best to do.

Core set afterward. Both that and the bike felt way easier than last week.

Swim this morning. Lots of people from the club turned up so the lane was crowded. Managed to get 1550m done in spite of being tapped on the heel all the time as I'm one of the slowest. Better than nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oryx on the turbo work i am not sure how many bike sessions you are scheduling in a week but ideally keep one for some form of intensity and the rest as base work for now.
    It may feel too early doing intensity work but you will see overall improvments if one session a week is focussed on some threshold/interval type workout, as long as its structured properly.

At the moment its this turbo set and one base ride pw, but I have to fit in another or I'm wasting my time. I'm getting confused because of the low season instruction to 'keep it all basework'. Yet this turbo set is killer. 100-120 rpm out of the saddle for up to 6 minutes. Couldnt maintain that in a blue fit. If I try my hr goes to 165/170. I tried to keep it close to 155 max last night. I can see where its beneficial tho, but as I said above Im getting conflicting opinions. And Im a numpty so I cant gauge it myself because of my lack of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

At the moment its this turbo set and one base ride pw, but I have to fit in another or I'm wasting my time. I'm getting confused because of the low season instruction to 'keep it all basework'. Yet this turbo set is killer. 100-120 rpm out of the saddle for up to 6 minutes. Couldnt maintain that in a blue fit. If I try my hr goes to 165/170. I tried to keep it close to 155 max last night. I can see where its beneficial tho, but as I said above Im getting conflicting opinions. And Im a numpty so I cant gauge it myself because of my lack of experience.

Oryx if you want to increase your power on the bike then now is the time to do it. No harm in some intensity for that purpose. Power is harder to develop than endurance. The intensity during the IM phase after the sring is to work on stanmina and race pace efforts, not to develop power. Its like doing your kettle bells. Great to boost your strength now and over the winter but youwill more than likely lay off them when the volume and intensity of IM training kicks in. Your key session at this stage should be addressing your weakness. If its power then its the hard turbo, if its endurance then its the long ride.

Thanks for the advice guys. You know the saying 'just like riding a bike'? Well its not as bloody simple as it looks. :)

Your key session at this stage should be addressing your weakness. If its power then its the hard turbo, if its endurance then its the long ride.

MCOS / JB - What if everything is weak? :o
    In an IM event is the endurance the first thing to conquer before concentrating on power?
    Can you bring them along together over an extended period i.e. one week concentrate on power sessions, the next concentrate on endurance.
    Also how do you factor in the 3 elements into key sessions :confused: Space them out over the week or stagger them over a longer period?
    (Apologies for jumping in here Oryx)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

RedB wrote: »
    MCOS / JB - What if everything is weak? :o
    In an IM event is the endurance the first thing to conquer before concentrating on power?
    Can you bring them along together over an extended period i.e. one week concentrate on power sessions, the next concentrate on endurance.
    Also how do you factor in the 3 elements into key sessions :confused: Space them out over the week or stagger them over a longer period?
    (Apologies for jumping in here Oryx)

It depends a lot of things. If its your first IM and you just want to get around, I'd advocate a focus on endurance. If you have a time in mind as you 2 do then you have to consider some metrics as you will have target set out to hit your 12:30-12:45.

Ideally you want to remain within 75% of your FTP (max hourly average output) to still have the legs to be in with a chance to execute your run target. If you are not working with power then its good to test with HR and find some values to work with. Zones for instance.

Can you bring them both along. Probably, but to a point of diminishing return. At some point you will be close to maxing out your turbo sessions and the sessions will leave you tired. The endurance rides are going to get longer too needing more recovery.

Without a doubt your key session is the long bike. Get used to doing it within your zones too as belting off with a group and hanging on for racing at the end is not doing much for your IM.

There is no urgency to build anything with the IM journey either. Its a good bet that both of your will be out on the course on your own for 6 hours - theres a clue for you ;)

So you already have a long bike, long run and longer swim set pencilled in. Bike intervals and technical swim set next and your week is looking full already. Scatter a few shorter runs and another swim/bike and a rest day and you are doing well already :)

You will see that Fink doesn't have any intensity in his bikes until peak phase. That programme is simply about building the volume and is grand to get you raround in 12.5 hours.

What I alluded to in my earlier post was, if you feel strength is a limiter, address it early.

Advertisement