Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    D'ya know, one of the main things that will push me on come the 1st will be knowing the likes of you may be tracking progress online. I cant quit, Dory's watching!! :p

Still 12 days to go though, lots to do yet!

Tracking your progress online?? Shoot, I'm having your spilts sent to my phone AND tracking you online!!! :D

(only 11 days and 14 hours left!)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kettlebells. My last session before D day. Tough set but you recover quickly from it. And I am still in my regular routine as part of the taper.

I meant to go out on the bike this morning to do a hill set but Oh lord was I tired. Motivation was low but a turbo set was easier to coax myself into so I did that instead. A pretty pathetic show particularly when the bike is what needs attention most. But anyway. 50 mins of trundling.

Swam this evening (pool). The club sharks were there but thankfully they were chatting more than swimming so they didn't show me up too much. An enjoyable if clumsy 3k.

Yet another morning when my brain refused to wake up when my body did. I think the tiredness Ive been ignoring for the past few weeks has suddenly mugged me all at once. Finally pulled myself out of bed at twenty to seven and got out the door for a 45 min run. I ran the same route as Wednesday, but considerably slower, so the tiredness was not my imagination. Nothing else on the cards for today, so hopefully an easy day today will be enough to get my mojo working again. That, and a big long comfy sleep from about 8pm tonight.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Yet another morning when my brain refused to wake up when my body did. I think the tiredness Ive been ignoring for the past few weeks has suddenly mugged me all at once. Finally pulled myself out of bed at twenty to seven and got out the door for a 45 min run. I ran the same route as Wednesday, but considerably slower, so the tiredness was not my imagination. Nothing else on the cards for today, so hopefully an easy day today will be enough to get my mojo working again. That, and a big long comfy sleep from about 8pm tonight.... :)

Just wondering if you are trying to do too much at this point?

You want to be at the start line chomping at the bit, feeling like you have done nothing for the previous 10 days or so...

No question, that extra rest now will benefit you more than struggling through a run or turbo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oryx stick up what you had planned to do for the remainder of this week and next. I agree with Izo main focus is to be bursting with energy at the start line and not feeling tired and lethargic.
    Less volume and more race pace intensity would be my advice especially in taper.

Thanks Lads. You know the way it is. Common sense is telling you to rest, but irrational fear is telling you to get everything done. I have the added problem that work is busy, and home life is hectic. Its not helping. Last week (1st of taper) I did 11.5 hours out of a planned 12.75. This week has 10 hours planned of which Ive done 5.25

Plan for the next ten days:
    Tomorrow: turbo/bike one hour
    Sat: Run one hour
    Sun: Two hour bike, 30 min run off bike, easy swim
    Mon: Sea swim
    Tues: Probably turbo before the bike gets packed
    Weds: Swim
    Thurs: Run (travel day)
    Fri and Saturday will be nothing except a short bike ride to check the bike out, and maybe a 20 min run to loosen the legs. C'est tout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Oryx, nearly there now.

I'd suggest putting the turbo away now. You have done enough early mornings on it and turbo during taper is just a chore. Instead take your bike outside for those sessions (regardless of conditions) and spend time visualising a bike 15m in front of you that you cannot get too close to or it will be drafting, passing the aid station and sticking your hand out for a bottle, taking in the crowds at points, how smooth the roads feel in comparison to the sh!t you are cycling on. How warm the air feels in comparison to the sh!t you had to train in back home.... The session will fly by and you will energise your mojo. Trust me :)

Sleep is energy back. Every hour you get above your norm is more energy back. Sleep is your best friend for the next 10 days.

A JB said, the work is done. Its just about shorter sessions with IM paced intensity to sharpen the saw. No more.

Thanks Lads. You know the way it is. Common sense is telling you to rest, but irrational fear is telling you to get everything done. I have the added problem that work is busy, and home life is hectic. Its not helping. Last week (1st of taper) I did 11.5 hours out of a planned 12.75. This week has 10 hours planned of which Ive done 5.25

Fri and Saturday will be nothing except a short bike ride to check the bike out, and maybe a 20 min run to loosen the legs. C'est tout.

Looks OK, although the Sunday session might be a bit of a stretch.

However, any of these sessions should be binned if you are feeling lethargic.
    Aside from the mental reassurance of "I should be doing something...", these will not really impact your race day at this stage.

Thanks for the input. I think I needed to hear it from someone else even though I knew it anyway. I knew this weeks work level was doable, and I'm just surprised to feel so lousy today and yesterday.

So, as of now, thank you Don Fink for all your help to date, but we are done. :) The next few days Ill work by how I feel, and only that. Plans are great as long as you know when to ignore them. Ive read it here before but somehow missed the point when its this close to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

My coach gave me some fanstatsic advice, work is done and any work done now will not make a difference on race day however there is a lot you can do wrong which could fup up your race.
    Agree with MCOS stick the turbo away now and do any bike sessions out on the road, start the race visualisation and execution. I would continue to swim as normal and perhaps cut back the volume but keep the frequency there for next week. On Sunday i would probably cut back the bike to maybe an 1.5hour with just a 15min run off @ IM pace. Friday & Saturday on race week i would do a short bike and a short run (not as a brick) and throw in race pace efforts just to remind the legs what they are doing on Sunday.
    Work done and if you do not feel like doing a session bin it, we want this SBR hoochie fresh on the 1st for a stonking performance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

@ Oryx,

Again, I saw this and thought of you. No seriously, I read this last week and given what you are saying at the moment, you might be interested in reading this.

http://ironman.com/training/pro-training-tip-pre-race-mental-prep-with-heather-wurtele#axzz1y9O3D7mr

"Mother of two conquers her demons" lol. :)

Maybe we all should come up with a newspaper headline for you. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Maybe we all should come up with a newspaper headline for you. ;)
    Please. Dont. :p

So. Another day closer, and after 13 hours sleep last night I still feel like someone has let the wind out of me. Oh, how typical is this? Thing is, Ive had this happen before, coming up to big races. It seems a regular occurance to feel wrecked and ill just before a race. Is it nerves? Dont think so, Im not nervous. Is it fatigue? Well, why now? Or am I imagining it? Yup, I think Ill go with that one and imagine it away again... No training today. I'll get more sleep. And hope it will all be better in the morning.

Keep sleeping - you'll be fine.

With the wise words of my fellow boardsies ringing in my ears, I got out for an early run this morning. I kept the pace easy, and relaxed and enjoyed it. Felt a bit wobbly starting out, but as I got going I flicked through some radio stations on my phone, as I needed some companionship. Cue the first bars of Journey's 'Dont stop believing'. :) Funny as fk, I thought. Nothing like a bit of feelgood AOR to make you smile as you run at 7am.

As the pace was easy, I really enjoyed this, and got into that rhythm where you feel like you're running on the spot and the road is rolling beneath you. Just what I needed. Just shy of 11k in an hour.

A party last night meant a not so early start today. But it was only a two hour bike. Got around but have to say I didn't enjoy it. I feel like I'm just punching numbers now; I want to get this thing over and done. Ran for 15 mins off the bike wearing my heavy bike jacket. It was fine, which it ought to be considering what I've got to do this day week. :)

Yes, it's almost here now and sounds like you're ready to get this show on the road. Perfect.

It appears that I am a bit cellphone-challenged in that I have tried a few times to key in the IM athlete tracker phone number in my cell to send as a text but I don't think I know what I am doing with international numbers. If you have any guidance, please help. Looks like the number to key in is +43 (0) 676-800 96 19. I think I have to enter 011 first.....then do I just key in the numbers above without the "+" and "-"......and do I include the "0" without the "( )"???? :o:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Try 0043 instead of +43

And I'm wondering if I need the global option turned on as if I am traveling overseas. Still unsure about your "+" "-" "( )".....leave them out? (but the "0" in?)

Tried 0043 with the same result - no confirming text back. Thanks, though, for the suggestion.

I have no idea about all that. Sounds complicated. :)

No worries. I will call my cell provider tomorrow and get it sorted. I will move heaven and earth to get your updates. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

+43 (0) 676-800 96 19
    you gotta add 00 at the start and drop the (0) so its

00436768009619 plus add the bib number in the text message.

handangeo wrote: »
    +43 (0) 676-800 96 19
    you gotta add 00 at the start and drop the (0) so its

00436768009619 plus add the bib number in the text message.

Thanks...but still no confirming text back - I assume I should receive a confirming text back, right?

I'll call my cell provider...

But, handangeo, this begs the question: what is your bib number so we can track you too?? And is the other stud RedB?? Need that number as well, or is all this info on another thread that I have overlooked?? :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How's the head/body today Oryx. Taper madness treating you well? :D

Izoard described it well in handangeos log. A mixture of anticipation and panic today. Oh, and sleep. All I want to do is sleep. :) I was going to sea swim later but having spoken to a club mate he reckons a pool swim would be better. And I need to start packing.. And breaking down my bike.. Unsure what to do.. So yeah. All the usual taper stuff goin on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Dory Dory wrote: »
    But, handangeo, this begs the question: what is your bib number so we can track you too?? And is the other studpid eejit ever going to finish that run - RedB?? Need that number as well, or is all this info on another thread that I have overlooked?? :o

Fixed your post Dory ;)
    (bib no 1779 for what its worth but don't wait up, its going to be a looooong day :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Okay, so I've activated my cell phone global services starting today....and I've entered RedB's and Oryx's bib numbers in every way possible a multiple of times, and still I receive no confirming text back. So....either I am screwed (and unhappy), or I will be receiving an amazing number of repeat updates on their progress. :(:o

Any way.....more importantly....you guys are going to rock Austria!!! All you have to do is keep it together a few more days and then it's go time! :)

Advertisement