Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RedB wrote: »
    11.5 and you know what they say ;):D

You've very small feet.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

RedB wrote: »
    11.5 and you know what they say ;):D
    Yup. A man with big feet has.......

....big shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm thinking more in terms of high heels and lipstick for the loser - and a pic posted!

Yeah.......ain't gonna happen.:)

As Oryx pointed out, the practicalities of getting a decent pair of high heels for the... <ahem>..... larger person are difficult. (or so I believe! :p)

RayCun wrote: »
    You'd really want to fix that by running some shorter distances so. Do a bit of fast running to make marathon pace feel easy :)
    Much as I hate it, this is the right advice. Today was a 3 mile run on the plan, so in an effort to get a bit of speed back I ran it as intervals. Out and back laps, roughly 800m on, 800m off. It hurt very badly. :) I realise I havent run at speed in years. Oh, how I've missed that need-to-puke feeling. 5.4k in 28mins which includes two complete gasping stops to recover. So. More of this kind of thing needed. God. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »
    Much as I hate it, this is the right advice. Today was a 3 mile run on the plan, so in an effort to get a bit of speed back I ran it as intervals. Out and back laps, roughly 800m on, 800m off. It hurt very badly. :) I realise I havent run at speed in years. Oh, how I've missed that need-to-puke feeling. 5.4k in 28mins which includes two complete gasping stops to recover. So. More of this kind of thing needed. God. :(

Speed work ain't fun at all, its so much easier to go long and "slow" !

I need a 5k race a week ago and was close to getting sick at 4k:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Yep, it is the right advice. Strides, Intervals, tempo runs, lactate threshold sessions, etc here we come. We have the endurance, we just need to up the pace.

I've found the hard part is matching the pacing to the required distance/duration without blowing up or undercooking it. It does get easier with a bit of practice and you'll learn your 'redline' pace for the various distances. Do you have the Daniels spreadsheet where you input your time over a known distance e.g. 10K or HM and it gives you pace guides for all distances incl those speed sessions? If you use that guide with a Garmin, its a good starting point for getting the pace right.

Did 17km easy myself except it wasn't easy. Very sluggish :o. My fitness has dropped like a stone and doesn't want to come back easy :rolleyes:

Should you be doing speed stuff 3 weeks after the IM? I'd have thought a month of recovery before doing any serious work? 12 weeks of marathon specific work is plenty, especially with the base you've got.

Well I was supposed to train for that mountain tri from about now. That would be harder than doing this. Today was short and sharp, and I feel fine having done it. I will be adjusting things and building into distance slower than the plan dictates. Honestly I'm just flying by the seat of my pants right now, doing what I feel able for.

I do know my distance paces Red, the trouble is I am no good for the shorter stuff right now. That has to be worked on. :)

Did a double today. Into the pool after work for a bit of a paddle. As I walked onto the deck I realised I hadn't decided on a plan and had no clue what I wanted to do. Not good - I need the motivation of a session. :) Picked up a few pool toys and borrowed some fins and set to doing drills. Lots of kicking drills with one, two and no fins. One arm, rotations, pb, all sorts of stuff. Took my time so it wasn't very productive but it was fun. Called a halt after an hour, not sure of distance but somewhere above 1600m.

• Advertisement

Well. It's been about a week. I can't remember what I've done since the 26th when I last posted, but I doubt it was all that interesting anyway. I've been doing a bit of s/b/r but nothing worth writing home about. So I didn't.

Bunclody is Sunday. Just the thought of a race is making me feel tired. Particularly since I'm in wave 3 but I doubt my time will be as predicted. I'm planning to sleep lots over he next two days and see if I manage to feel human by Sunday.

Well. It's been about a week. I can't remember what I've done since the 26th when I last posted, but I doubt it was all that interesting anyway. I've been doing a bit of s/b/r but nothing worth writing home about. So I didn't.

Bunclody is Sunday. Just the thought of a race is making me feel tired. Particularly since I'm in wave 3 but I doubt my time will be as predicted. I'm planning to sleep lots over he next two days and see if I manage to feel human by Sunday.

I can't believe a race shorter than a sprint has YOU feeling tired:p

I can't believe a race shorter than a sprint has YOU feeling tired:p
    Ah, I'm just not myself. My kids are sick so maybe I'm getting what they have, I dont know. And Im not really on sprint form these days. :)

Ah, I'm just not myself. My kids are sick so maybe I'm getting what they have, I dont know. And Im not really on sprint form these days. :)

And there's no soup to look forward to at the end.

The weather doesn't look great either:(

And there's no soup to look forward to at the end.

The weather doesn't look great either:(
    If its pelting rain me and the Giant are staying home. :p

If its pelting rain me and the Giant are staying home. :p

But then you won't get to meet 49 shades of grey !

But then you won't get to meet 49 shades of grey !
    Ya wot?

Ya wot?

Its my new bike's name:D

Please, I beg you, give the poor thing a better name! :)

I would also like a new bike, Ive been drooling over some for ages....

What I want.

What I am worthy of.

Please, I beg you, give the poor thing a better name! :)

I would also like a new bike, Ive been drooling over some for ages....

What I want.

What I am worthy of.

They used the 2nd one in a few dualthlons in dublin ! I get you could finish in IM on one of those !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Shorter than a sprint?? What are the distances? And my favorite bike I ever had was this......in purple. We always called it a banana bike...and I could stand on it and do all sorts of fun things on/with it as a kid. I'm not sure I can get clipless pedals though....but who knows?? ;)
    (and good luck this weekend :))

draft_lens17951091module152525826photo_1313761340retro-purple-bicycle.jpg

I never had a bike as a kid, which explains why I can't really ride one now. I'm the only person I know who pretty much had to learn to ride a bike as an adult. The shame :)

Its 500m/20k/5k so only the swim is a bit short.

No bike??? :( Gosh.....that was my mode of transporation as a kid before I could drive.

Good luck in the race - the distances sound fun - you may kill the field!!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    No bike??? :( Gosh.....that was my mode of transporation as a kid before I could drive.

Good luck in the race - the distances sound fun - you may kill the field!!! :D
    I most certainly won't but thank you!

Great stuff champ. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great stuff champ. :)

You wouldn't believe the lies I heard before the race RC, she's slow, she doesn't do sprints, she's not prepared, her bike is broke, she can't swim...

Total sandbagger! (But well done Oryx, richly deserved reward for the early morning training you've been doing)

I'm saying nothing till I see my finish time. :)

3rd lady:cool:

So does that mean you did in fact kill the field?? Congratulations. Well deserved dividends for all the work you've put into this. :)

• Advertisement

I'm saying nothing till I see my finish time. :)

Just as well I didn't go. Sounds like you'd have left me in your dust. :D

Advertisement