Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yeah. The only limits are self-imposed.

Speaking of limits, it was bucketing down at 6 this morning so my planned long bike was shelved. Did just under two hours on the turbo instead. Sweat buckets. Of course the weather had cleared by the time I was done...

Then I headed down to the beach to join the ow club for a swim. It was very rough with an onshore breeze. That don't stop these guys though (make note Kurt :) ) 2k in total going down the beach and back again. The down section took twice as long as the back. Very heavy going in big waves, but I do love swimming in those conditions. Its like a fairground ride. :) We had a seal keep us company all the way, probably wondering what we were up to invading his living room. I was slow compared to most but was told my stroke is good I just need to work more. I'm 'too relaxed' :) Story of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dammit! Why can't our little lake have a seal that I could swim with!! ;)
    Doesn't sound like you're still in recovery with all this training going on. :)

Recovery schmuvery. I'm doing what I feel able for. I'll rest when I'm old and grey. Maybe.

This morning I reminded myself that I'm supposed to be doing a marathon plan, with a 14 mile lsr. It was fine with an emphasis on the 's'. (Just slightly less than the winning time for the whole marathon yesterday!) A damp muggy day made it sweaty but nice. I didn't bring any water or gels but its good for your head to know you can run without that stuff.

Yesterday was one of those days when I just shouldn't have got up. Fed up and ridiculously tired all day, not a hope of doing anything training wise. But after a rocky start this morning things perked up and after work I managed a pool swim at least. No mega distance today, more work on my kick and technique.

1400m of drills, drills, drills. At the end of the session I tried to see if I could do tumble turns. And well, I can't. I can do the loveliest somersaults but I missed the wall completely every time. I gave up after a few minutes as the women in the aqua aerobics class were beginning to stare and the lifeguard was getting edgy. I must get someone to actually show me the trick sometime.

• Advertisement

How's your block start coming along? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How's your block start coming along? ;)
    Unless I go pro (or do the norseman) I won't ever need it :)

Speed work today. I hate this session. I have the route figured out now though. Couple of minutes warm up, then half mile (just over actually) sprints out and back along the same route with 90 seconds rest between sprints. Did 6 of these. Slowest was the second one, when I was facing into the wind for the first time, but all intervals were within 3.20 - 3.30. Slow, but I'll get there.

I have now exceeded all my sbr totals from last year. And its only August. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »

Excellent work. Think I've trebled my swim already :eek: Not sure about the bike, I wouldn't even want to check, think my bike has cobwebs on it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What do you attribute this to? Early-morning training? Sticking to the plan? Looking so hot in a trisuit that you enter loads of races? Some other reason?

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What do you attribute this to? Early-morning training? Sticking to the plan? Looking so hot in a trisuit that you enter loads of races? Some other reason?
    I attribute it to my attempt to outrun letcherous durty auld triathletes that I happen on from time to time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I attribute it to my attempt to outrun letcherous durty auld triathletes that I happen on from time to time.....

:DTouche! That's the reason we always enter the last swim wave...;)

Seriously though, I'm impressed with all your very early morning training. Have you always been doing this?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    :DTouche! That's the reason we always enter the last swim wave...;)

Seriously though, I'm impressed with all your very early morning training. Have you always been doing this?
    No. Four years ago, in fact even two years ago, half eight was early for me to get up. I was ALWAYS late for work.

This year I had to get training done. Getting up stupidly early was the only way I could find the extra time I needed. You do get used to it very quickly, and you get to feel smug for the rest of the day, which is a bonus.

My early morning mojo has yet to come back since IM though, I drag myself out of the bed on the days I have to meet someone for training, otherwise when on my own I tend to start later than planned. :p

I am tired. A few sessions I wanted to do were on this morning so I decided to try and fit 3 back to back. First, at 8am, was a xc run which was murder. 45 mins of hills and sand dunes with a non wetsuit dip in the sea afterwards. Straight onto the bike for what was supposed to be a 20k hard spin. All well and good till I missed a turnoff and got totally lost. I ended up 15 miles from where I wanted to be (bloody signs. Can't trust em) and my short hard sprint turned into a 60k slog in the rain. I had promised myself a proper swim afterwards and even though the club session was long over, I went in anyway with a kind lifeguard keeping an eye. This was a hard swim. Very choppy and hard to sight. It seemed slow going out but I thought I'd get a break on the way back cos it was so tough. But no. Going back was like swimming in an endless pool. All work and no progress. Was exhausted by the end. No idea on distance but 50 mins or so.

So, like I said. I'm tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm tired reading it! Always harder to swim after a run, let alone a run-bike workout!

After my 'reverse triathlon' on Sunday, I was wrecked yesterday and had to shelve my scheduled lsr. (supposed to do 17 miles according to the plan). Because I'm doing DCT this weekend, that left today as the last realistic day to try and get any long run done and still have a few days to recover for the weekend.

So at 5.30 my alarm went off. It was still dark. I took a leisurely breakfast as it got bright, and got a few chores done, and headed out at 6.15 when there was enough daylight not to get creamed by traffic on the main road. I wore a flashing armstrap anyway, Ive had a few near misses already this year on early runs. I think drivers are still half asleep at that hour. Or they just hate people who run at 6am.

The route was chronically hilly, but varied so it helps with boredom. So just me and beat fm, enjoying the dull and misty morning. But at least no rain. I only had two hours to play with so I couldnt get the full 17 miles done. Did 14.5 before the clock called me home. But better than staying in bed. Almost.

My alarm went off at 6am so I could go for a run. I didn't get up and go out but I stayed awake(ish). Promising that one day I might be able to run at crazy hours again.

Baby steps.

My alarm went off at 6am so I could go for a run. I didn't get up and go out but I stayed awake(ish). Promising that one day I might be able to run at crazy hours again.

Baby steps.
    I find that if you make yourself stand up, you have some chance of actually waking enough to move and do stuff. But I have been so sleepy some mornings Ive put my porridge in a mug or stuck it in the fridge to nuke it. :p

So, next time, stand up. Baby steps. :)

I think I got up to kick the dog out of the room and went back to bed thinking ''great, another hour before I have to get up''

Swam tonight. 1100m, mostly drills. It was meh. Legs are tired from running.

And now I have a conundrum to dwell on tonight.. Do I add another mad race to my schedule and cock up my marathon plan or do I not? Ah well. Maybe I won't have to decide.. :)

• Advertisement

What kind of race are you thinking of adding? Cuz if it has mud in it, Griffin wants to watch. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What kind of race are you thinking of adding? Cuz if it has mud in it, Griffin wants to watch. ;)
    I noticed that. But I think youre meant to be there too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I noticed that. But I think youre meant to be there too. :)

Eehh, I'm not fussy.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Eehh, I'm not fussy.
    I did the mud thing. It got EVERYWHERE. I have pics, but it'll cost ya. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ba Ba Black Sheep has Oryx any wool, yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.

A cryptic clue;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

hmmmmmmm, might you be stepping over me in a pool of my own body fluids ????

Ive just spent the last 20 mins at my pc reading the LS thread and last years race briefing, while drumming my fingers on the desk and going hmmmmmmmmm.

It would mean camping in my van as well. JB, youre a menace. :)

*thinks some more*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did the mud thing. It got EVERYWHERE. I have pics, but it'll cost ya. :)

Name your price, I'll open the bidding with an offer of a partially eaten energy bar and some out of date gels ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Name your price, I'll open the bidding with an offer of a partially eaten energy bar and some out of date gels ;)
    You had me at hello.

• Advertisement

I'm not photo-shopped in those pics, am i? ;)

Advertisement