Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaining a third language exemption during gap year

• 07-09-2011 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what possible ways could someone I know get an exemption for a third language over the course of the next 12 months so that they could attend a university next year.

They were strongly recommended not to do a third language in first year of secondary school due to requiring some remedial hours due to certain learning difficulties (hand eye co-ordination, I think?) but never got a formal exemption at the time.

I would assume it's quite possible to teach yourself enough over 12 months to pass ordinary level french, but would they have to enroll somewhere immediately? Are there places which provide this service alone?
    Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are they in LC at the moment?
    They could sit their LC, get the points they need, spend the next year learning French (easily doable), sit the LC exam in French, and then go to college in September using the points gained and the French pass.

...if I understand your question correctly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are they in LC at the moment?
    They could sit their LC, get the points they need, spend the next year learning French (easily doable), sit the LC exam in French, and then go to college in September using the points gained and the French pass.

...if I understand your question correctly...
    he just finished his leaving cert. That was kinda what I was thinking could be done this year but wouldn't be too sure if he'd have the work ethic by himself to learn up to a passable level so was thinking there might be alternatives.

Reason he didn't do french was because the school told him not to so that he could have hours to do resource learning for a coordination problem he had, maybe this makes it possible for him to get a belated exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Excuse me if I'm being ignorant but how does hand eye coordination affect your education? I'm baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, take a look at this link, it shows you information on gettting a third language exemption if you scroll down. This is the main part that is relevent for you (the person you know). http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

"Students with specific learning difficulties affecting language acquisition (dyslexia) may apply for exemption from the Third Language requirement. To apply for an exemption, it is necessary to send in a completed Exemption Application Form and other relevant material." and there's a link for an application form. You need to have a completed recent educational assement carried out though (a Psychologist's report. By recent I mean maximuim two years ago. It also isn't just dyslexia that you can apply for it, I applied with dyspraxia (co-ordination difficult and it's a learning difficulty) and was successful.

That's taken from the National University of Ireland's website and AdamD sometimes when you have co-ordination difficulties it causes taking things down off the board to be very difficult, griping a pencil, taking the infromation down correctly. Low muscle tone also usually comes with co-ordination difficulties which means that you can be in pain alot due to a heavy bag etc.

These are just some of things associated with it and all of the above have impairments on learning. Since I don't know the learning difficulty specifically I can't tell you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Just in case you don't know, you don't need a third language to do any science/engineering degrees in universities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

And you don't need a third language for Trinity.

Irish will do for all courses. (Except for language courses where there are specific course requirements).

Advertisement