Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk at "Talk Talk"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Exactly. And the more I think about it, the angrier I get about this whole thing. Politicians - not all of them, but certainly most of them - will use this to score cheap brownie points. They'll speak out against an almost invisible enemy, in the hope of getting a few likes on their facebook page or just to give the illusion that they're actually doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

It always shocks me when people turn to politicians to help them out of a tough spot. What the Talk Talk management did was to just follow the cheap labor trail to maximize corporate profits. That is what the boards of directors of all corporations demand or they change the management. It's just a bunch of suits manipulating numbers to keep their jobs. Be prepared for this to keep happening. Ireland was viewed as a great place to offshore....educated, English speaking workforce with low wages when compared to the USA. Those advantages have slowly waned and now the suits are looking elsewhere due to the economic environment we are all in globally.

Back to the politicians....what do you think THAT bunch of yahoos are going to do about this? Form committees, stand on a soapbox and make speeches, suk up to their constituents, all for one reason...to get reelected into their soft, easy jobs. They don't give a flying fcuk about the working stiff who has to pay the bills and feed the mouths around the table each night. They only care about getting elected to another term! They are a bunch of useless, non value adding pieces of flesh using up the fresh air of those working people who actually add value to this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just after watching the RTE news at 1. Talk Talk and the Waterford situation was mentioned twice, briefly in a report about the new Dail session in which it said the Waterford TD's would be raising the issue. The second was specifically about Talk Talk and a jobs fair that was held to try and get employment for some of the workers.

The interesting point is that the second part of this report gave a pretty scathing attack on successive governments and their attitude to Waterford. It showed a clip in 2001 of Mary Harney asking the IDA to give Waterford a higher profile and showed a policy document saying that there should be a University for the South-east as well as stating that 18000 jobs should have been created in that time. Well done Damo Tiernan for highlighting the issue and presenting it in the way he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have to say, all credit to Damien Tiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

chelloveks wrote: »
    It always shocks me when people turn to politicians to help them out of a tough spot. What the Talk Talk management did was to just follow the cheap labor trail to maximize corporate profits. That is what the boards of directors of all corporations demand or they change the management. It's just a bunch of suits manipulating numbers to keep their jobs. Be prepared for this to keep happening. Ireland was viewed as a great place to offshore....educated, English speaking workforce with low wages when compared to the USA. Those advantages have slowly waned and now the suits are looking elsewhere due to the economic environment we are all in globally.

Back to the politicians....what do you think THAT bunch of yahoos are going to do about this? Form committees, stand on a soapbox and make speeches, suk up to their constituents, all for one reason...to get reelected into their soft, easy jobs. They don't give a flying fcuk about the working stiff who has to pay the bills and feed the mouths around the table each night. They only care about getting elected to another term! They are a bunch of useless, non value adding pieces of flesh using up the fresh air of those working people who actually add value to this world.

To be fair you can't get much lower than what "talk talk" did in Waterford. Sure companies will leave if they can make higher profits elsewhere but a lot of companies will give plenty of notice and a fair or even generous redundancy. Intel for example go out of their way to avoid compulsory redundancies. Dell who were also lambasted when they closed their facilities at the treatment of their workers came nowhere close to what "talk talk" did here.

I agree with you on the issue of politicians the news piece from 2001 another poster refered to puts it into context.This is what we were led to expect and considereing what was delivered to other regions on the jobs front it was not an unreasonable expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

To be fair you can't get much lower than what "talk talk" did in Waterford. Sure companies will leave if they can make higher profits elsewhere but a lot of companies will give plenty of notice and a fair or even generous redundancy. Intel for example go out of their way to avoid compulsory redundancies. Dell who were also lambasted when they closed their facilities at the treatment of their workers came nowhere close to what "talk talk" did here.

I agree with you on the issue of politicians the news piece from 2001 another poster refered to puts it into context.This is what we were led to expect and considereing what was delivered to other regions on the jobs front it was not an unreasonable expectation.

Totally agree Fuzzy. Different companies will handle these issues in different manners and these pricks showed their true colors in telling the media before the employees. Despicable behavior for sure that shouldn't go unpunished if there is any way to punish them! The problem is that they get away with this sheet and even if they do it nicely there are still people out of work and in a very bad situation.

The politician piece proves my point, whethere here in the US or in Eire, they are a bunch of windbag slackers who never did an honest days work producing anythig of value in their lives. That was 10 years ago and what was done to hold them to the promises and proposals? Not a feckin thing and they just move on to their high paying consulting jobs when they are done in public office and continue to play with themselves. You can tell I have a bit of contempt for the lazy sheets. Lmao!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Hi.has anyone got a link to the Damien Tiernan report?
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Hi.has anyone got a link to the Damien Tiernan report?
    Thank you.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0914/media-3051569.html#

fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

People will have to realise that if they want something done they will have to do it for themselves.

Politicians just get in the way and charge us a fortune in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

AdMMM wrote: »
    I have to say, all credit to Damien Tiernan.

Hear hear. He's acting like a proper journalist, and not just a reporter. All too often, these guys do no research, and just parrot the press release of the day. Tiernan has gone and done some digging, and found the broken promises from 10 years ago.

He's gone up a mile in my estimation, I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Read an interesting article during the week which was saying the reason behind the governments (present and past) lack of interest in Waterford on the jobs front as well as other areas, stems all the way back to the formation of the state where Waterford was percieved by the rest of the country as being a pro British/Unionist area....Interesting theory which has some substance in my view.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Read an interesting article during the week which was saying the reason behind the governments (present and past) lack of interest in Waterford on the jobs front as well as other areas, stems all the way back to the formation of the state where Waterford was percieved by the rest of the country as being a pro British/Unionist area....Interesting theory which has some substance in my view.

What substance exactly?
    Its a conspiracy theory,

Have you a source for this article?

I've heard this whispered in the past, I have to admit!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Ah here. What article?

Just to depress you all a little further:
    No problem getting jobs into parts of the country that are well resourced and well promoted...

"1,124 people placed in job internships" http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0915/1224304143081.html?via=rel

"JobBridge shows are to take place in Galway, Cork and Limerick in coming weeks. Further information at www.jobbridge.ie"
    Wouldn't you think that if there was some sort of big South-East action plan, that they'd be coming to Waterford too? :mad:

Part of any plan for the South-East should be an upgrade of the runway at Waterford airport. I can't find the post now, but one poster on this forum lately mentioned that air links were a factor in one operation locating in Cork when they had been considering Waterford.

It would cost about €23 million according to the estimates I've seen - which is a drop in the ocean compared to the money we're throwing away on these bloody bondholders, and which we'll never see a return for.

Once it's built, let the airlines decide for themselves whether they want to serve the SE. If Lufthansa will serve Knock, there is no reason why Waterford can't attract comparable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Eh? That's nonsense. Waterford is about as Unionist as Gerry Adams. The IRA started in Munster, don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Perhaps back in the 1600's when there was an English King who loved to visit Waterford can't remember his name think it was John (I'm open to correction on the name and the dates). According to a teacher of mine Waterford was his favourite place after London and Bristol. There's a plaque to him in St. Francis Place at the back of City Square as far as I know. But surely by the time of the formation of the state Waterford was about as Pro British as anywhere else. I'm sure Dublin was considered the most Pro British place in the country considering it was the Pale and the great reception Queen Victoria received during her visit at the turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

fricatus wrote: »
    Just to depress you all a little further:
    No problem getting jobs into parts of the country that are well resourced and well promoted...

Wouldn't you think that if there was some sort of big South-East action plan, that they'd be coming to Waterford too? :mad:

Part of any plan for the South-East should be an upgrade of the runway at Waterford airport. I can't find the post now, but one poster on this forum lately mentioned that air links were a factor in one operation locating in Cork when they had been considering Waterford.

It would cost about €23 million according to the estimates I've seen - which is a drop in the ocean compared to the money we're throwing away on these bloody bondholders, and which we'll never see a return for.

Once it's built, let the airlines decide for themselves whether they want to serve the SE. If Lufthansa will serve Knock, there is no reason why Waterford can't attract comparable business.

Cork IT recently developed a course in cloud computing. Maybe if WIT do something similar you might get some jobs in the field here.

Cabaal wrote: »
    What substance exactly?
    Its a conspiracy theory,

Article in either the Hearld or The Independent also the News and Star touch on it in that "Phoneix" column. Its no conspiracy theory the evidence is there to see :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Article in either the Hearld or The Independent also the News and Star touch on it in that "Phoneix" column. Its no conspiracy theory the evidence is there to see :mad:

I'm assuming the evidence you refer to is the job losses, investment etc in the Waterford region, thing is this doesn't prove the conspiracy theory that "lack of interest in Waterford on the jobs front as well as other areas, stems all the way back to the formation of the state where Waterford was percieved by the rest of the country as being a pro British/Unionist area"

You could create any crazy theory and apply it to the job issues and say the lack of jobs etc proves your theory.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm assuming the evidence you refer to is the job losses, investment etc in the Waterford region, thing is this doesn't prove the conspiracy theory that "lack of interest in Waterford on the jobs front as well as other areas, stems all the way back to the formation of the state where Waterford was percieved by the rest of the country as being a pro British/Unionist area"

You could create any crazy theory and apply it to the job issues and say the lack of jobs etc proves your theory.

Lets forget about conspiracy theory's for a second and look at the facts. Major decisions about this and every town are made by the powers that be in Dublin and you cant say that our percieved pro Britishness by some of those in power are not determining at least some of the decisions made in this town i.e Job Investment? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I have seen a lot of Man United jerseys around lately, that must mean we support the Brit's teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

there is an element of truth about this.

Hence why Dev downgraded/closed De La Salle Teacher Training College (University) shortly after the founding of this Republic and turned it into the 2nd Level education establishment that we know today

Anyone name another University level college that was downgraded since the foundation of the State?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Bards wrote: »
    there is an element of truth about this.

Hence why Dev downgraded/closed De La Salle Teacher Training College (University) shortly after the founding of this Republic and turned it into the 2nd Level education establishment that we know today

Anyone name another University level college that was downgraded since the foundation of the State?

Dev did not come to power until 1932. DLS in its previous guise never had university status. True it was downgraded but that was a Church decision not State. The DLS order simply moved their teacher training operations from Waterford to their HQ in Castletown, Co. Laois where the training commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Partizan wrote: »
    Dev did not come to power until 1932. DLS in its previous guise never had university status. True it was downgraded but that was a Church decision not State. The DLS order simply moved their teacher training operations from Waterford to their HQ in Castletown, Co. Laois where the training commenced.

Extract from http://www.delasallewaterford.com/brwat.htm

in May 1939 the government decided that one Training College would be adequate to provide training for all the young men in the country. St. Patrick’s, Drumcondra was to remain open and De La Salle College was to close. Brother Philip Healy appealed to the Taoiseach, Mr. Eamon de Valera, to keep the College open but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

fricatus wrote: »
    Have you a source for this article?

I've heard this whispered in the past, I have to admit!

The rumours I've heard is that Waterford had too much of a union mentality???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Bards wrote: »
    Extract from http://www.delasallewaterford.com/brwat.htm

in May 1939 the government decided that one Training College would be adequate to provide training for all the young men in the country. St. Patrick’s, Drumcondra was to remain open and De La Salle College was to close. Brother Philip Healy appealed to the Taoiseach, Mr. Eamon de Valera, to keep the College open but to no avail.

But in the end, the upper echelons of the Church and State called the shots.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The rumours I've heard is that Waterford had too much of a union mentality???

This is also what I've heard for years, this "threat" of strikes is a massive off-put for company's when it comes to investing in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd believe that. Theres a strike/protest/workers party meeting nearly every week here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I've met people from Kilkenny/Mayo/Cork/Kerry/Donegal who brag where they're from and say great things about their county. Never met anyone from Waterford who does that.

Advertisement