Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk at "Talk Talk"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Usually staff can see these kind of things coming but that doesn't appear to be the case here. I genuinely hope yee all get sorted ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Guys, am so sorry to hear that... :(

Did this news just come out of the blue? My friend is working there years and she never mentioned that anything like this was coming down the line.

Everybody knew it was a sinking ship. I left there 6 months ago. Alot of the lads left around the same time. We asked about the future of the call centre in last year's all hands meeting and they wouldn't give us a direct answer. It was clear to anyone with half a brain at that point that the call centre would close.

longshanks wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that news folks. Will ye be offered redundancy or just shown the door?

Redundancy is required by law. So yes, they will get redundancy. The question is whether it will be statutory or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Did this news just come out of the blue?

A few people on my facebook/twitter feeds are saying that the first they heard of it was on the radio. Bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madness11

Always the same In the telecommunications industry.the company I work for recently lost one of its biggest contracts.Our bosses all knew well and said nothing only for everyone to find out on the 6 O Clock news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dlofnep wrote: »
    Redundancy is required by law. So yes, they will get redundancy. The question is whether it will be statutory or more.

If the company is still profitable they won't be able to claim inability to pay so I think they'll have to offer something. Labour Court usually goes with 4 weeks plus statutory. Won't be worth a whole lot to most people out there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Awful news, and a genuinly huge blow for the city. Hope all affected find something else soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Everybody knew it was a sinking ship. I left there 6 months ago. Alot of the lads left around the same time. We asked about the future of the call centre in last year's all hands meeting and they wouldn't give us a direct answer. It was clear to anyone with half a brain at that point that the call centre would close.

I was just asking because, like I said, my friend has been there for 6 years and we often talk about the place (as I used to work there myself) and she never mentioned there was in any sort of trouble coming.

Usually, she'd be pretty clued up, but this genuinely seems to have taken most people by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

We all saw it coming.

Anyone with half a brain could.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Really sad to hear spent 6 years there and everyone there were really dedicated and a great group of people to work with. Hopefully they can sort something out and get someone else in instead of em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

sorry to hear this and extra disapointed for friends working there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnie1985

Dreadful news. Best of luck in the future to those who are affected. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I'm so sorry for all the folks who have lost there jobs in TalkTalk, I worked there a few years ago when I was in college, always a great bunch of people in there and one of the best call centers around.

Chin up lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

My wife works there and the first she heard about it was on the news. Bad form. Anyway she's devastated. Another body blow for Waterford.

I was just asking because, like I said, my friend has been there for 6 years and we often talk about the place (as I used to work there myself) and she never mentioned there was in any sort of trouble coming.

Usually, she'd be pretty clued up, but this genuinely seems to have taken most people by surprise.

Well, I worked there for 8 years and I saw it coming a year ago. I think we all did - It was just a matter of 'when'.

I mean obviously this notice came out of the blue. People probably weren't expecting it to be this soon - But anyone who worked there in the past year could see it was going downhill. Supervisors under pressure to get more out of the workers, workers being stretched beyond what they could handle... The whole environment was just miserable. I dreaded going in there to work everyday.

I've seen alot of changes in there over the years, but it was always a decent and fair place to work. But since TalkTalk bought it out - it just went to absolute shít. The treated the staff like dogs. Look at what they did to Pronet.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Sorry to hear the news guys:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Talk Talk/AOL helped put many of my friends and relatives through college and without it they wouldnt have had the same opportunities. Huge blow to waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

There'll be nothing left on the Estate! Twas bad enough before this bombshell, it'll be a ghostown :( . Have a few friends that work there. Bad form out of so called "management". From listening to friends AOL were never really an employee focused place to work.

Good luck to you all xx here's hoping you'll find a job out there x

• Registered Users Posts: 37 daisyholeR

At least we got to leave work early although I doubt it was to allow us to "reflect" as they said... more like they wanted us gone before RTE arrived with the cameras :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

My sister works there. I was let go form my job 2 weeks ago and my brother also lost his job a while ago as well.

Lets face it this country and especially Waterford is banjaxed. Anybody with an opportunity to get work abroad grab it wth both hands and get the hell out of this dump.

We're all now paying for the destruction caused by others.

I for one will be left this country for good in the next few months.

I've had enough of this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 madforit88

so talk talk gone by october and rigney dolphin after losing there contract with meteor with possibly 150 gone by end of november. Look on the bright side no problem with parking after christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Very sorry to hear this , Waterford politicians time to step up to the plate NOW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Jeez really sorry to hear this and my heart goes out to anyone affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Does anyone have the live register rates for Waterford by any chance? It must be sky high at this point.

15614 as per post below:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70596382

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

I'm so sorry to everyone in Talk Talk affected today, I know some people working there and my heart goes out to them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

sorry to hear the bad news. its really cr*p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Waterford is really after getting hit worse than most. Its bad news for all at Talk Talk. Where is Paudie Coffey, Halligan, Deasy and others now, no doubt preparing some bull$hit article about Radon or how to express symapathy with the workers.

Write to Enda Kenny, the ministers around the south east and all those wasters we voted in.
    enda.kenny@finegael.ie

paudie.coffey@finegael.ie

philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie

John.Deasy@oir.ie
    ciara.conway@oir.ie

brendan.howlin@oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

decies wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear this , Waterford politicians time to step up to the plate NOW!!!
    Exactly but 3 of them are in the county and probably don't give a hoot as long as it's not Dungarvan, and those 3 are in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Well, I worked there for 8 years and I saw it coming a year ago. I think we all did - It was just a matter of 'when'.

I mean obviously this notice came out of the blue. People probably weren't expecting it to be this soon - But anyone who worked there in the past year could see it was going downhill. Supervisors under pressure to get more out of the workers, workers being stretched beyond what they could handle... The whole environment was just miserable. I dreaded going in there to work everyday.

I've seen alot of changes in there over the years, but it was always a decent and fair place to work. But since TalkTalk bought it out - it just went to absolute shít. The treated the staff like dogs. Look at what they did to Pronet.

Have to agree 100% with ya the place went to crap everyone got messed about n it showed they didnt care about the staff, so glad i got out when i did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Max Powers wrote: »
    Waterford is really after getting hit worse than most. Its bad news for all at Talk Talk. Where is Paudie Coffey, Halligan, Deasy and others now, no doubt preparing some bull$hit article about Radon or how to express symapathy with the workers.

Write to Enda Kenny, the ministers around the south east and all those wasters we voted in.
    enda.kenny@finegael.ie

paudie.coffey@finegael.ie

philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie

John.Deasy@oir.ie
    ciara.conway@oir.ie

brendan.howlin@oireachtas.ie
    In fairness to them the decision to close TalkTalk in Wateford has nothing to do with them, and this news has only just broke in the last couple of hours. What do you think they can do? Save the jobs?

Advertisement