Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk at "Talk Talk"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Guramoogah

575 jobs gone, just like that! Holy crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

That's me gone now it seems. I've been there since 2003. However my own personal circumstances aren't too bad (still living at home) but others have kids and mortgages, I really feel for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

jimbojazz wrote: »
    My sister works there. I was let go form my job 2 weeks ago and my brother also lost his job a while ago as well.

Lets face it this country and especially Waterford is banjaxed. Anybody with an opportunity to get work abroad grab it wth both hands and get the hell out of this dump.

We're all now paying for the destruction caused by others.

I for one will be left this country for good in the next few months.

I've had enough of this place.

While I respect the fact that you will be upset, calling our country a dump is unacceptable.

Waterford had an unhealthy amount of call centre jobs, which is really a bad sign as it is such a volatile industry. An announcement was always on the cards.

Best of luck to everyone out there. Many of you will re-skill. Many of you will re-locate. You will survive though - keep the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know a woman working there and shes a single parent and has recently bought her own home. For most people moving to england will not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Sad news alright. I'm sure nearly all of us will know somebody affected. AOL/Talk Talk was something of a right of passage for many of us. I worked there on two separate occasions in the past. I know when I graduated University and couldn't get a job anywhere I at least had one for 8 months. it was a contract job but paid a wage and I had a great time with the people out there. That being said we were contract staff and were unceremoniously let go at lunchtime one day. Just told not to show up tomorrow. Seems like the staff have gotten similar treatment today.

As for the 80 jobs that might be relocated to the UK, if any of you can get it, take it. Things are flying over here compared to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Economically it is a dump!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I'd say some of the senior directors knew something was up when they left earlier this year and set up their only call centre. Hopefully a few TalkTalk people can find a job there.

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhojkfgbgb/
    http://www.munster-express.ie/business/south-east-positioning-itself-as-national-call-centre-hub/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Max Powers wrote: »
    Waterford is really after getting hit worse than most. Its bad news for all at Talk Talk. Where is Paudie Coffey, Halligan, Deasy and others now, no doubt preparing some bull$hit article about Radon or how to express symapathy with the workers.

Write to Enda Kenny, the ministers around the south east and all those wasters we voted in.
    enda.kenny@finegael.ie

paudie.coffey@finegael.ie

philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie

John.Deasy@oir.ie
    ciara.conway@oir.ie

brendan.howlin@oireachtas.ie

Paudie, John, Enda & Phil are in Galway at a party conference (sound FFamiliar?? Really busy talking, having lunch and a few beers. In fairness they haven`t really done a whole lot for the 15,500 unemployed in Waterford so can we really expect them to do anythin for the lads in Talk Talk. My sister and her boyfriend work there. She is in tatters s they were supposed to be getting married in February.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

decies wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear this , Waterford politicians time to step up to the plate NOW!!!

Why would they start now!

Very sad news and my thoughts are with everyone who is affected, which with all the family members involved is well over 1,000 people surely. The equivalent of half of the employees from WIT or WRH (or Waterford Crystal in the good days) losing their job - an awfully big blow for the region (yet another one).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any students from WIT who work there, get in touch please. The college paper would like to hear from you.

Sorry to hear this, terrible blow for everyone involved and Waterford. Heard abouT it in town at lunchtime, didn't know it was a complete closure. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

hardybuck wrote: »
    While I respect the fact that you will be upset, calling our country a dump is unacceptable.

Waterford had an unhealthy amount of call centre jobs, which is really a bad sign as it is such a volatile industry. An announcement was always on the cards.

Best of luck to everyone out there. Many of you will re-skill. Many of you will re-locate. You will survive though - keep the heads up.

You really think I'm bothered that you find it unacceptable.

I'm glad that you're so confident that another 575 on top of the 450,000 already on the scrapheap will be able to acquire new skills etc - once they have new skills what will they do with them - zilch because there's nothing here for them

Get real - there's nothing out there

This country is finished for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

While there were some problems, everyone here figured we were fine for at least another year. In the last year we were given multiple projects for the company, fixed problems they ran into in other centres and became their best performing centre for a time.

Our "meeting" was a powerpoint presentation about how well they were doing and how call queues have decreased because we were doing so well. TalkTalk bought out some more broadband providers in the UK and as such had some new employees. My assumption is that they are giving our jobs to them.

They had to have had this planned for at least a month. Pisses me off that even at 11:55 today we, including managers, had no idea anything was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sully wrote: »
    Any students from WIT who work there, get in touch please. The college paper would like to hear from you.

Sorry to hear this, terrible blow for everyone involved and Waterford. Heard abouT it in town at lunchtime, didn't know it was a complete closure. :(

This is going to hit students hard. AOL put me through 4 years of college in WIT. If I had lost my job, I would have had to quit college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Talk Talk released their statement to the media..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0907/talktalk_statement.html

shower of w*nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

So sorry to hear about the job losses, guys. I worked in the Sligo call centre for a couple of years a few years back. Can't say I'd miss the job itself, but it's a hard knock for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Max Powers wrote: »
    Waterford is really after getting hit worse than most. Its bad news for all at Talk Talk. Where is Paudie Coffey, Halligan, Deasy and others now, no doubt preparing some bull$hit article about Radon or how to express symapathy with the workers.

Write to Enda Kenny, the ministers around the south east and all those wasters we voted in.
    enda.kenny@finegael.ie

paudie.coffey@finegael.ie

philip.hogan@oireachtas.ie

John.Deasy@oir.ie
    ciara.conway@oir.ie

brendan.howlin@oireachtas.ie

Don't forget to point out to them it was a FG minister who moved the Director of the IDA S.E out of Waterford during the last rainbow Govt, and we have never recovered from that move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13156156

This is not aimed at the staff but for it to get to the extreme of closure well the manglement in that place must have been nothing but tragic.

I'm over the water and few if any of my friends who are with talktalk have anything good to say about them.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    You really think I'm bothered that you find it unacceptable.

I'm glad that you're so confident that another 575 on top of the 450,000 already on the scrapheap will be able to acquire new skills etc - once they have new skills what will they do with them - zilch because there's nothing here for them

Get real - there's nothing out there

This country is finished for a long time

No, I didn't think that you'd be bothered. I've asserted my opinion on it though. You'd probably get chased down the street for that attitude in the U.S or somewhere though!

I came out of college and found work. So have did the vast majority of my fellow classmates. None of my siblings or extended family lost jobs. We're all extremely fortunate so far, but you make your own luck sometimes. I have many friends who have emigrated, most of them from Waterford.

I've huge sympathy for people who are struggling, but people must keep some hope and keep trying. I don't accept that there is nothing out there.

decies wrote: »
    Economically it is a dump!!!!

Can't really argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This will decimate the night life in Waterford. The workforce there were very young, they'll find it very hard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

No, I didn't think that you'd be bothered. I've asserted my opinion on it though. You'd probably get chased down the street for that attitude in the U.S or somewhere though!

I came out of college and found work. So have did the vast majority of my fellow classmates. None of my siblings or extended family lost jobs. We're all extremely fortunate so far, but you make your own luck sometimes. I have many friends who have emigrated, most of them from Waterford.

I've huge sympathy for people who are struggling, but people must keep some hope and keep trying. I don't accept that there is nothing out there.

I don't think a lecture is going to help.

The fact is that a lot of people have just lost their jobs and have only 30 days to prepare for the next one. People have every right to be fearful and angry.

My condolences to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Sorry to hear the news, being in the business myself and seeing lots of Irish centers close or reduce significantly in size recently is a huge blow.

The IDA have been working hard in the recent years to make Waterford attractive for call center business like free office space for 12 months and heavy financial incentive's for each seat. The issue is that Ireland with its high costs even with the good incentives have not been attractive to to UK call center business for the past 4 years. Without factoring India and alike a UK employee is far cheaper than an Irish one recently.

I don't think a lecture is going to help.

The fact is that a lot of people have just lost their jobs and have only 30 days to prepare for the next one. People have every right to be fearful and angry.

My condolences to them.

Agreed, didn't intend going down that road. I was hoping to encourage people not to give up hope completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

its going to decimate more than the nightlife, a young work force is more likely to spend money in the town, things like this will affect waterford on every front.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

I think this video is kinda fitting really. Am absolutely shocked and sickened.... almost 4 years in the place, and now we're all just cast aside without a care in the world :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Agreed, didn't intend going down that road. I was hoping to encourage people not to give up hope completely.
    Do the CWU have members there? Or do Talk Talk not entertain them? I know that the union ran a fairly strong campaign against Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I should have elaborated. A major blow to the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Sorry to hear whats happened guys. I know places like talk talk have a young workforce most of whom are in college. Hopefully you all can make some good out of this and move forward in your lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

From Talk Talk's statement they seem to be blaming the Euro currency for helping them make the decision to close down the office.

Yet more evidence that being in the Euro is not doing Ireland any good.

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    Do the CWU have members there? Or do Talk Talk not entertain them? I know that the union ran a fairly strong campaign against Vodafone

If you are asking me - I don't have a clue, but can't see Talk Talk paying any attention to the likes od the CWU. They are pulling out of Ireland, so they won't be bothered by unions in the slightest.

Advertisement