Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk at "Talk Talk"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's not the IDA's fault in my opinion. It's the fault of successive Government's in Ireland who have forced the state to become overly dependant on foreign investment into Ireland who have absolutely no loyalties to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

There live in Waterford rte news. Ah god poor cat crying there :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 FiFiTeg

frightening stuff for the employees. have 3 friends working there and they were not expecting this.. sad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

FiFiTeg wrote: »
    frightening stuff for the employees. have 3 friends working there and they were not expecting this.. sad times :(

That was hard to watch, feel terrible for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

madforit88 wrote: »
    And with also the possibility of another 150 jobs going from Rigney Dolphin a call center based just up the road form AOL what is this government going to do. They where very quick to announce that the Solas is talking over from the Corrupt FAS i haven't seen or heard of anything from them in the first 6 weeks since they launched. We need answer's and the government are not giving any. They where very quick to state that they where going to bring jobs to this country but all that is heard is job losses and the Odd 20 jobs hear or there 20 jobs isnt going to get us out of the hole that were in.
    madness11 wrote: »
    its more like to 220 jobs in rigneydolphin.And they are gone by the end of the year

Lads where are ye pulling those figures out of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

Both Myself and my Partner work there, this is just an awful blow, no idea what we are going to do now, the company made 50 million in pure profit last year just goes to show how a company makes a recession worse by looking after there own back pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madness11

Figures include there staff in dublin on meteor also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

words cant describe whats happening to waterford. agree with the overdependance on the foreign investment. one way to help this is to look into the stupid rule where self employed cant claim unemployment if things go wrong. why would anyone set up an irish company when u get a kick in the ass if it goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Apparently I was on D'news being interviewed. I think I was one of the few people not crying. Was pretty bad outside the front door earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are there any other tele call centers operating there that might take some of these people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

are there any other tele call centers operating there that might take some of these people?

Nope, unfortunately not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Apparently I was on D'news being interviewed. I think I was one of the few people not crying. Was pretty bad outside the front door earlier.

Were you the one planning on running home to do your CVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Were you the one planning on running home to do your CVs?
    That'd be me. I think I laughed a bit too much for someone who just lost their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 madforit88

kensutz wrote: »
    madforit88 wrote: »
    And with also the possibility of another 150 jobs going from Rigney Dolphin a call center based just up the road form AOL what is this government going to do. They where very quick to announce that the Solas is talking over from the Corrupt FAS i haven't seen or heard of anything from them in the first 6 weeks since they launched. We need answer's and the government are not giving any. They where very quick to state that they where going to bring jobs to this country but all that is heard is job losses and the Odd 20 jobs hear or there 20 jobs isnt going to get us out of the hole that were in.
    madness11 wrote: »
    its more like to 220 jobs in rigneydolphin.And they are gone by the end of the year

Lads where are ye pulling those figures out of?[/Quote

With over 150 people working for meteor in rignydolphin it is possible that all those jobs could be lost if the company don't find other areas to employ these people 220 is a bit much if I say so myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Sad day for Waterford with all them job loss,s.Theres just no end to bad news these days,
    Wishing all the workers there the very best of luck in finding some thing else,

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Very bad news for Waterford, there needs to be some form of job creation in Waterford but who knows where we are going to be at the end of this.
    Another 550 workers onto thhe scrap heap with jobs in sight, come the budget we'll have Moan Burton telling us its a lifestyle choice for them, I depise what has happened to our country and dont know how or when we we will recover?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

Really sorry for anyone affected by this, really awful to hear about more job losses.

We where only told in Rigney Dolphin monday that the Meteor campagin is gone, so I guess I'll see some of you in the dole cue :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TheRealXenu

It is sad that so many have lost their jobs and will joining the near half a million already long term on the dole.

As sad as it is, from my own point of view, I worked for a long time in a call centre similar to talk talk, and not long after starting was depressed, finding it the most boring souless repeatitive sh!tty job possible(stand be correcte if theres worse then call centre work), I left and havent looked back, the dole isnt that much worse then what I earned and had put up with, Im told talk talk employees were paid less and treated sh!ttier wages.

Alot of talk about this country being a dump and bad government but we vote for pro globalist pro big business parties like FF and FG, so what do we expect?
    All they will offer is unionless conveyer belt crap low paying jobs that when they've milked a badly treated workforce enough they quickly pack their bags, leave everyone high and dry and move on to next area of suckers willing worn for nothing, be treated like dogs all have a job.

People wake up, when the greeks were put in same position as us they took to the streets, one of their chants was embarrassingly 'WE ARE NOT IRELAND'

Want payback and make radical difference, dont vote for populist parties(nearly all them)
    Dont work in unionless jobs(always garantee poor pay and working conditions)

And buycott talk talk, dont give them business, if with them now change provider, if enough do it will dent profits big time!

It is sad that so many have lost their jobs and will be joining the near half a million already long term on the dole.

As sad as it is though, from my own point of view, I worked for a long time in a call centre similar to talk talk, and not long after starting I was depressed, finding it the most boring souless repeatitive sh!tty job possible(stand be corrected if theres worse then call centre work), the thought of being stuck there for foreseeable furture was terrifying I left and havent looked back, the dole isnt that much worse then what I earned and had put up with, Im told talk talk employees were paid less and treated sh!ttier wages.

Alot of talk about this country being a dump and bad government but we vote for pro globalist pro big business parties like FF and FG over and over, so what do we expect?
    All they will offer is unionless conveyer belt crap low paying jobs offered by profit driving greedy showers like talk talk, that when they've milked a badly treated workforce enough they quickly pack their bags, leave everyone high and dry and move on to next area of suckers willing work for nothing, be treated like dogs all have a job.

People wake up, when the greeks were put in same position as us they took to the streets, one of their chants was embarrassingly 'WE ARE NOT IRELAND' due fact we bend over and take it, thinking FG will make change

Want payback and make radical difference?
    Dont vote and put into power populist parties(nearly all them)

And boycott talk talk, dont give them business, if with them now change provider, if enough do it will dent profits big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

My heart goes out to all the workers and their families in Talk Talk. I was made redundant myself and know exactly how it feels.

My cousin who has been out of work for a while and just under a year ago got a job there and was getting back on his feet and now this.

So sad and also disgraceful as all 575 people should not have lost their jobs. Pure greed that is what it comes down to with Talk Talk. This is an easy way to pay off the Ofcom fine and max profits.

I was happy to see Chamber on the news saying it is time the Gov did something about the job situation here and that all parties should come together. We need more of this type of pressure and talk to start getting the issue to the forefront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

The contrast of the first two stories on the RTE website would really make you angry. The first is the devastating story of all the job losses, while the second outlines how consultants can take the last year off before they retire on full pay. The HSE then has to pay a locum to cover for them. As Alan Partridge would say - "This country! :rolleyes:"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0907/consultants.html

Hear eircoms call centre operator Capita sold its role on to some big Indian banking company, say thats bye bye to thousands of eircom related jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 9 madforit88

Hear eircoms call centre operator Capita sold its role on to some big Indian banking company, say thats bye bye to thousands of eircom related jobs

Yep got rid of local Irish conmpany's that provide ericom with this service for many years and also gave it to first choice solutions I think de name another multi national to come. into this country make huge profits and den leave with all there profits this goverment would want to get there finger out and provide jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭timefora_J

Talk talk sucked the soul out of that place. Since talk talk took over it's gone down hill big time.

AOL was some place to work there was always a great crack between all the lads in there no matter what, AOL were always big on moral.

I've been out there 8 years and most had an idea something was in the pipeline but this has shocked the **** out of me.

The goverment needs to step up and get this country moving again, they go on about how bad things are but do fuk all about trying to get people back to work or job creation.

All fuking talk, no action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sorry to hear the news today, life changing stuff for a lot of people. I hope the people affected can work something out to make a future for themselves.
    It must be awful having to contemplate massive upheaval like re-skilling, emigration or whatever. Best of luck to ye in your efforts to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

It is sad that so many have lost their jobs and will joining the near half a million already long term on the dole.

As sad as it is, from my own point of view, I worked for a long time in a call centre similar to talk talk, and not long after starting was depressed, finding it the most boring souless repeatitive sh!tty job possible(stand be correcte if theres worse then call centre work), I left and havent looked back, the dole isnt that much worse then what I earned and had put up with, Im told talk talk employees were paid less and treated sh!ttier wages.

Alot of talk about this country being a dump and bad government but we vote for pro globalist pro big business parties like FF and FG, so what do we expect?
    All they will offer is unionless conveyer belt crap low paying jobs that when they've milked a badly treated workforce enough they quickly pack their bags, leave everyone high and dry and move on to next area of suckers willing worn for nothing, be treated like dogs all have a job.

People wake up, when the greeks were put in same position as us they took to the streets, one of their chants was embarrassingly 'WE ARE NOT IRELAND'

Want payback and make radical difference, dont vote for populist parties(nearly all them)

And buycott talk talk, dont give them business, if with them now change provider, if enough do it will dent profits big time!
    I agree with most of the things you said. But one thing we can't bycot Talk Talk in Ireland as they don't have a broadband service here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you are asking me - I don't have a clue, but can't see Talk Talk paying any attention to the likes od the CWU. They are pulling out of Ireland, so they won't be bothered by unions in the slightest.

If they had a strong union they could threaten to frustrate the exit unless they got a decent redundancy.

I think this is a terrible blow for Waterford. For every job there is probably 2 or 3 spin off jobs in pubs and shops and so on.

I understand people are upset. But I'm really pissed off with people calling Waterford and Ireland a dump. If they don't like the place they can either try fix it or leave. We can't keep blaming 'the politicians' for everything if we are the ones that elect them. Ireland is going through a tough time, but I'd far rather be here than in North England or Eastern Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kavsmdf wrote: »
    I've been saying it for years that the country is fucked, and I'm glad I got out when I did. There's nothing here for anyone, get out while ye can lads, and see how long all the big pay checks our ministers get last when 90% of people here are on the dole.
    Clearly if you are talking about 90% of people being on the dole you are deluded.

It is not possible for something like that to happen so away with you and you populist rubbish.

For the record their are plenty of people doing extremely well for themselves in Ireland with little or no debt. Plenty of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Bluetonic wrote: »
    For the record their are plenty of people doing extremely well for themselves in Ireland with little or no debt. Plenty of people.

I am not one of those people, i do have a job but am swamped in debt, i have had to take a second job just to try keep my head above water, and hope to see some light at the end of the tunnel in 2012 at some stage, but with 3 years of tough budgets ahead im really starting to wonder if hanging around is wise?

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

No sign of that Sky call centre arriving then ?

Advertisement