Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk at "Talk Talk"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Limerick man but gutted for the people of Waterford.

People in Limerick can relate to it in a way as Dell made approx 2,000 people redundant in the Mid West two years ago.

Its had an absolutely devastating effect to the region and to be honest Limerick, like Waterford, is a city on its knees

The only silver lining was that the ex Dell workers got a grant for the EU of about 9K each (pro-rata) to re-train, not a handout, exclusively for training purposes. This has allowed a lot of them re-skill and get jobs else where..... I hope something similar is in the pipeline for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

dayshah wrote: »
    If they had a strong union they could threaten to frustrate the exit unless they got a decent redundancy.

I think this is a terrible blow for Waterford. For every job there is probably 2 or 3 spin off jobs in pubs and shops and so on.

I understand people are upset. But I'm really pissed off with people calling Waterford and Ireland a dump. If they don't like the place they can either try fix it or leave. We can't keep blaming 'the politicians' for everything if we are the ones that elect them. Ireland is going through a tough time, but I'd far rather be here than in North England or Eastern Germany.

Do you understand what you are talking about?

Militant unions have done nothing for us but caused job loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Yes of course, large companies have shut down in Ireland and moved to places like India because of the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Limerick man but gutted for the people of Waterford.

People in Limerick can relate to it in a way as Dell made approx 2,000 people redundant in the Mid West two years ago.

Its had an absolutely devastating effect to the region and to be honest Limerick, like Waterford, is a city on its knees

The only silver lining was that the ex Dell workers got a grant for the EU of about 9K each (pro-rata) to re-train, not a handout, exclusively for training purposes. This has allowed a lot of them re-skill and get jobs else where..... I hope something similar is in the pipeline for Waterford

Yeah for some reason both Limerick and Waterford always seem to get the sh1tty end of the stick when it comes to government.

Galway seems to be successive governments' favourite child. What's in the water up there that they seem to have a job announcement every two weeks? It proves that with political will over a long time, they can boost a place. Pity they wouldn't start doing that for Waterford :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just watched the 9 O'Clock news. Heartbreaking stuff. I genuinely feel awful for everyone out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

How exactly?

There seems no other 'cause' at the heart of these big closures than the greed of shareholders / proprietors who seized opportunities to relocate and, presumably, continue to profit. Either way their mobility was hardly threatened by unions.

Anyway, most of us were sold on the idea that unionisation acted as a disincentive to foreign investment - which flew just fine as long as incomes continued to climb throughout the boom years. Although I'm sure Bruton will be back on track next week blaming some other brach of powerless labourers for stunting growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Luckily I decided to go to college this year. Was there full time for the last 2 years. I went to drop in my college timetable for part time hours but got told by RTE instead of my employer that my jobs was gone. Since talktalk took over AOL, the whole place has being a f*cking joke!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Anyone see Halligan on the news spoofing away. FFS is this the best that our political representatives can muster up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Partizan wrote: »
    Anyone see Halligan on the news spoofing away. FFS is this the best that our political representatives can muster up?
    Could have been worse. It might have been some useless FFer waffling away about taking hard decisions. It is absolutely depressing to see so many people losing jobs here. It is like the 1980s all over again.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

jmcc wrote: »
    Could have been worse. It might have been some useless FFer waffling away about taking hard decisions.

Regards...jmcc

Not as bad as Ciara Conway's press release

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1315413363232937.html

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Partizan wrote: »
    Not as bad as Ciara Conway's press release

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1315413363232937.html

:rolleyes:

Im going to go ahead and just paste it up there cos it might give some people who are a bit down a laugh...not a lift..a laugh
    Labour T.D. for Waterford, Ciara Conway has said that today's job losses at Talk Talk in Waterford are a huge blow to the South East region.

"This is a dark day for Waterford, and I want to offer my sincere sympathies to the workers at Talk Talk and their families," said Deputy Conway.

"I will be sitting down with my Government colleagues, and our Cabinet Ministers to discuss how we can make job creation in Waterford and the South East a priority.

"For too long the South East has been ignored, and jobs have been allowed haemorrhage from the region.
    "That's not good enough, and it's time for a change. Waterford is a huge population centre, with excellent facilities for any company, and a well educated workforce - and we need to use that to our advantage
    I dont even know where to start with that statement, shocking on so many levels.

My main thoughts are these,
    Christ she would of been better to say nothing at all.
    I really wish I could unread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Like I said to a friend of mine working there, use whatever money they give you to buy a plane ticket. Thats the best option if you dont have house, kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jayus i feel for all those people who lost there jobs today, cant imagine going in and being told youre job is gone. It must be gut wrenching.

Im in a part time job in the city and i have no right to complain about hours etc. I have a job its a small one compared to theses peoples but A JOB A JOB.

Hope the Government, along with Waterford TD's and Waterford City and County Concils get off there arses and do something about it.

This may be off topic but one thing that pisses me off is people out there who have 2 or 3 different jobs and theres people out there with no jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Amazing statement alright from Ciara Conway. She's only getting around to discussing jobs for Waterford now. "It's time for a change" - I suppose before today we had close to full employment in Waterford did we?!!! Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

letsbet wrote: »
    Amazing statement alright from Ciara Conway. She's only getting around to discussing jobs for Waterford now. "It's time for a change" - I suppose before today we had close to full employment in Waterford did we?!!! Incredible!

Oh yeah, the thousands of other job losses were fine but these 575 tipped it over the edge. Now is the time for action - not 1, 2, 5 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Sad to say she is cute though....... I would.

Vote for a cute lass in a picture rather than FF,the country will be sorted.

Had a call from an unrecognised number tonight,good bloke I haven't seen for years asking is England ok. Shift yer arse I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Worked there for years, I can only echo what everybody else who worked there has said. When it was AOL my attitude was "well Ive got a dead end Job, but they treat me well, the people are cool and the perks make up for the average pay ... Im gonna bust my arse for these guys", as soon as Talk Talk took over, you were just a number. I used to kinda enjoy going to work when it was AOL, Ive dreaded it every day more and more since Talk Talk took over, the only good thing that came out of todays news is that Ill never have to take orders from those f**kin c**ts again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Yeah for some reason both Limerick and Waterford always seem to get the sh1tty end of the stick when it comes to government.

Galway seems to be successive governments' favourite child. What's in the water up there that they seem to have a job announcement every two weeks? It proves that with political will over a long time, they can boost a place. Pity they wouldn't start doing that for Waterford :mad:

One of the common things that Both Limerick and Waterford have in common is a large Social Housing & Working Class population vis a vis Galway.

The Large parties of FF & FG know this and realise that this demographic generally do not vote FG or FG so have no interest in throwing money at either City, but rather just get the crumbs from what ever is left over after the other 3 (Dublin, Cork, Galway) have had their feast.

How many more reports do we need to tell us what we already know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

In fairness to them the decision to close TalkTalk in Wateford has nothing to do with them, and this news has only just broke in the last couple of hours. What do you think they can do? Save the jobs?

You missed the point completely, e-mail them put pressure on them saying they wont be getting your vote again unless something concrete is done to tackle the crisis in Waterford and the South East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Absolutely gutted for everyone at talk talk. And i know it's only a small thing but I am a talk talk phone customer and I am cancelling my account with them today as a gesture of my support for the employees.

Couldn't stand to be a customer of a company that treats my fellow Waterfordians with such contempt!

And I hear that Talk Talk is owned by Digiweb which is owned by a Waterford man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

scout353 wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted for everyone at talk talk. And i know it's only a small thing but I am a talk talk phone customer and I am cancelling my account with them today as a gesture of my support for the employees.

Couldn't stand to be a customer of a company that treats my fellow Waterfordians with such contempt!

And I hear that Talk Talk is owned by Digiweb which is owned by a Waterford man!

I believe Talk Talk is actually owned by The Carphone Warehouse or vice versa,

Digiweb used Talk Talk to handle their Customer Service calls AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kanoe wrote: »

If only this could happen, we could declare independence and do what the IOM and Channel Islands do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think it's time for something drastic. This government need to throw away the "governing by numbers" book and start some 4th dimensional thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Bards wrote: »
    I believe Talk Talk is actually owned by The Carphone Warehouse or vice versa,

Digiweb used Talk Talk to handle their Customer Service calls AFAIK

I got a letter from them earlier this year when the company changed hands and my TalkTalk bill now says Digiweb which is Irish owned and the CEO is Colm Piercy who is from Tramore. AFAIK he started the company!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digiweb

Digiweb acquired Talk Talk Ireland in Apr 2010!

Digiweb Group has acquired the TalkTalk telephony and broadband subsidiary of the TalkTalk Telecom Group PLC in Ireland and Belgium, adding to the Groups growing customer base.
    TalkTalk customers will soon benefit from additional savings to their telephony and broadband accounts in addition to upgraded and expanded services as Digiweb are committed to reinvigorating the TalkTalk product range. Already delivering value on bundles and international calls, the upgraded services will introduce savings of up to 40% compared to Eircom, Vodafone and other operators for national, UK, and mobile calls.
    Up to 20 additional staff will be hired to support the new offerings and services to customers. The company has begun recruitment in the areas of customer care, systems development, and finance.
    Colm Piercy, Group CEO, commented “We are excited by the opportunity to serve TalkTalk customers and further enhance the services and savings they receive from us. We will continue to seek selective consolidation opportunities in the telecoms market to extract synergies and deliver value for our customers and the Digiweb Group”.
    Three acquisitions have now been successfully completed by Digiweb Group in recent months, having acquired Smart Telecom in December and Internet Ireland in January. The company has moved swiftly to assimilate prior acquisitions, with all material integration, restructuring and efficiency stages now completed. Both Smart Telecom and Internet Ireland are now stable and cash-positive contributors to the Group. The TalkTalk brand will be retained through 2010.
    While the terms of the transaction cannot be released, the Group now services 102,000 broadband and telephony customers in Ireland, UK and Belgium, with consolidated annual revenues in excess of €50m and in excess of €10m net operating profits.
    About TalkTalk Ireland
    The Carphone Warehouse Group PLC acquired Vartec in 2004 and Tele2 Ireland in 2005 and merged the two businesses to form TalkTalk Ireland. The Carphone Warehouse Group PLC subsequently demerged and the TalkTalk Ireland business was a subsidiary of the TalkTalk Telecom Group PLC.

http://media.digiweb.ie/pr/2010/04/30/digiweb-acquires-talktalk-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

ALMOST 600 call centre workers are losing their jobs because their work can be done for a tenth of the cost in Asia.
    Stunned employees were in tears as they left the Talk Talk building in Waterford last night, after being told they face the dole in 30 days.
    Their work will be switched to the Philippines and India, where customer service agents earn less than €2,400 a year. Staff in the Waterford centre, which employs 575 people, have been earning up to €30,000 a year doing the same job.
    Yesterday's announcement takes redundancies in the city to more than 2,000 in the past three years, creating the worst unemployment blackspot in the country.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/talk-talk-600-jobs-go-to-asia-where-wages-are-90-pc-lower-2870610.html

Does anyone know the unemployment rate in Waterford?
    Boooourns wrote: »
    Yes of course, large companies have shut down in Ireland and moved to places like India because of the unions.

Let's not talk about the docker strike which blacklisted this city and gave it a terrible reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

From Talk Talk's statement they seem to be blaming the Euro currency for helping them make the decision to close down the office.

Yet more evidence that being in the Euro is not doing Ireland any good.

It would be more evidence of that if that in fact was the reason they were pulling out. The currency excuse is complete BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The currency excuse is complete BS.

Its certainly a huge factor for UK operation, I have a UK desk that we carry the currency risk on. Some months we make and some we lose, we are talking over €100k a month at times for 50 seats so multiply that by 10 and that could be the exposure. So if you were a UK organization which had centers in UK and Ireland currency risk will factor heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/talk-talk-600-jobs-go-to-asia-where-wages-are-90-pc-lower-2870610.html

Does anyone know the unemployment rate in Waterford?

Let's not talk about the docker strike which blacklisted this city and gave it a terrible reputation.

At the end of the day, it is a business they are running and if they can cut costs, they will do it.

However, while these place provide cheap labour, the language barriers make for angry customers which in turn, means less business in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

decies wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear this , Waterford politicians time to step up to the plate NOW!!!
    Politicians can't create jobs. Entrepreneurs do.

Ireland suffers from a lack of entrepreneurs, not a lack of politicians. And it doesn't help that all of our capital for a decade or more was pumped into property development, building unproductive assets that create no wealth and no work when the final brick is laid.

Property development was money for old rope - why would an entrepreneur try starting the next Google or Amazon or CRH when he could stick up a bunch of shoebox flats and double his money? And of course the banks lost/never had the people with the skillset to decide what non-property ventures to loan to.

The basic point: politicians do not and cannot create jobs.

Advertisement