Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Of Champions 4! (September 17th)

Options
  • 07-09-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

DoC; now with Internets! We'll be publishing our brackets on Challonge throughout the day, so all those with smart phones, you can look up the brackets as they happen.
    The tournaments will be run from 12.40pm till 20.40pm in the Exchange. Entry price will be as follows; 5 euro to go towards the exchange, with one entry to a single tournament costing 7 quid, entry to all tournaments costing 10.
    Prizes will be paid out with ratio to the total number of entrants based off the total prize pot. Thus, the bigger the tournament, the bigger the money.
    Tournament running order will be;
    SSFAE Teams to begin at 13.15. Once SSFAE is nearing its end stages, signups will close for MvC3, and it will begin on limited setups. Once MvC 3 is nearing its completion, BBCS2 will begin. Once BBCS2 is reaching its conclusion, 3S:OE and MK9 will both start, with 3S being exclusively on Xbox, and MK9 being PS3 exclusive. This running order is provisional, and subject to change
    We'll be running these brackets military; we'll be placing our main desk front and center for people to request their brackets, as well as having them published on challonge; anyone with a smart phone can help us out by telling people who they have to fight next. This also means, that, if you are called for a match, and fail to turn up in 1 to 2 minutes, you WILL be disqualified. We're being strict as all hell about this. If you are leaving the venue, inform a tournament admin or myself about it, so we can play other matches ahead of yours, before yours becomes a problem. If you are absent for longer than 5 minutes, you will be disqualified.
    If you have been PM'd about bringing kit in on the day, PLEASE ensure you turn up at 12.40. Anyone else who wants to turn up early is very welcome to, but keep in mind, you will be made help move heavy things around.

Tournament Rules and Format.

Format is as follows; All tournaments are double elimination. Each match will consist of 3 games with each game beings best of 3 rounds, except for MvC3, which will be best of 3 games. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played.
    Players who placed in top 8 in the prior DoC will be seeded accordingly. All others will be randomly seeded.

1. Gill is banned. All other characters are useable, but if you require DLC characters, please make that known prior to your match.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set. In MvC3, orders of characters may be changed, but assists may not.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed. (Though it will be pretty damn hype.)

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No white track suits please. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

voa wrote:
    8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed. (Though it will be pretty damn hype.)
    Does this only count if it's the final round of a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Does this only count if it's the final round of a fight?

Hence the GAME ending in a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

really looking forward to this!
    fighter tourny virgin :eek:

voa, that u say when signup for mvc3 end,when do the sign ups for the other games end?
    not to sure what i might dip my toe into besides playing in the mk,
    gettin to jabber over some mk matches will be fun 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

really looking forward to this!
    fighter tourny virgin :eek:

voa, that u say when signup for mvc3 end,when do the sign ups for the other games end?
    not to sure what i might dip my toe into besides playing in the mk,

Play everything!

Unless you're committed to doing all the commentary for MK, then just play everything except 3S.

Everyone will enter everything, so the chances of coming across someone who has equally no idea what they're doing is very high.

I think I made it through 4 levels of the last MK tournament before I came up against an opponent who knew the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I look forward to working with you sir.

• Advertisement

Voa wrote: »
    The tournaments will be run from 12.40pm till 20.40pm

Is that how long you expect the tournament to actually run Voa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

voa, that u say when signup for mvc3 end,when do the sign ups for the other games end?)
    Signups for tournaments close during the final rounds of the prior tournament. But, you can sign up for all tournaments at once if you so chose, you're not going to be forced back into a queue every time.

Signups for tournaments close during the final rounds of the prior tournament. But, you can sign up for all tournaments at once if you so chose, you're not going to be forced back into a queue every time.

thanks man :)
    and i know this prop said alot but thanks to you and whoever else in involved with putting these things on, it must be hell of alot of stress and take up alot of your time to get everything sorted,
    so thanks for making it so i can play mk not just sittin in my bedroom :p

Nah Voa doesn't do stress, but BOURKE NEEDS TO BE ON A CONSOLE THE SECOND ONE IS FREE!!!!!!!

:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

snip
    Quality off the mike and on the mike start to that match!

Sairus wrote: »
    Quality off the mike and on the mike start to that match!

That's one of the best all-around FG videos ever! Voa, Doyler and Doyler on mics is classic.

Also notice me playing 80% of the first match with the wrong button config without realising, and immediately playing worse once that was corrected.

Like a pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

"YOU'RE TELLING ME THIS NOW!!!"

Voa to Nutrient

"DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE TIME FOR THIS???"

Voa to Hippy who asked him to help move tables afterwards

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    "YOU'RE TELLING ME THIS NOW!!!"

Voa to Nutrient

Which reminds me.
    If you have a copy of the games being played, feel free to bring them along. Be sure they're marked in some way, or they will magically sprout legs and walk off with someone else.

1. Gill is banned. All other characters are useable, but if you require DLC characters, please make that known prior to your match.

what about kratos and freddy?
    also kratos stage which makes the screen shake at random times?

what about kratos and freddy?
    also kratos stage which makes the screen shake at random times?

Kratos is a PS3 exclusive, so I believe that by tournament standard he's banned? I have no clue on Freddy.
    Does it have any effect other than being really annoying (the stage shake I mean)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Kratos banned. I don't believe there is any reason for Freddy to be banned. AFAIK he was banned in one tournament but the reasoning was down to the fact that he had only just come out. So no reason for anyone else to follow suit.

Kratos stage is just a stage. No reason to have a rule one way or the other, other then common sense stage rules.

Orim wrote: »
    Kratos banned. I don't believe there is any reason for Freddy to be banned. AFAIK he was banned in one tournament but the reasoning was down to the fact that he had only just come out. So no reason for anyone else to follow suit.

Kratos stage is just a stage. No reason to have a rule one way or the other, other then common sense stage rules.

on freddy, two big reasons why is projectiles randomly but alot go through him with him taking no damage and the fact his combos dont have damage scaling

on the kratos stage, ye know it just a stage so thats why thought id ask, it banned at every major but aint a huge deal although....
    picture this,finals,game winning juggle combo, the stage shakes for no reason,you drop it then lose.would u be mad?

on freddy, two big reasons why is projectiles randomly but alot go through him with him taking no damage and the fact his combos dont have damage scaling

on the kratos stage, ye know it just a stage so thats why thought id ask, it banned at every major but aint a huge deal although....
    picture this,finals,game winning juggle combo, the stage shakes for no reason,you drop it then lose.would u be mad?

But does the stage actually affect the combo or is it just a visual thing? If it's just visual then I see no need to explicitly ban it.

If it someone tries to pick you can object and if it comes up after a random select, then it can be rejected if both players are okay with that.

Freddy does sound pretty ban worthy from what you're saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I believe the rule is "If a character is strong, he's allowed, if he's game breaking he isn't". It sounds like a mechanic is broken for Freddy.

What's the usual rule?

Orim wrote: »
    But does the stage actually affect the combo or is it just a visual thing? If it's just visual then I see no need to explicitly ban it.

If it someone tries to pick you can object and if it comes up after a random select, then it can be rejected if both players are okay with that.

Freddy does sound pretty ban worthy from what you're saying.

just visual,
    applying the "game breaking rule" to that is, doesnt break the game so i see your point of not puttin a outright ban on it

the way you suggested if both players agree not to play seem very fair also

yea freddy a mess,
    alot the dlc are in some shape or form,
    but not in a game breakin way,just in a badly designed way
    like skarlets 19% throw when she was 1st out
    or kenshi tag infin loop
    or rain and his 84% 3bar corner combo

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Bumping cause this is halfway down the second page and it's in 2 days. Also, I'll be there.

I'm definitely there as well.

Actually I'll need a team mate for AE!

I won't be there. :(

Have to go to Wexford and babysit.

i shall be there also,
    drawing myself a map from the google street view link so hopefully be able to find the place :rolleyes:

i shall be there also,
    drawing myself a map from the google street view link so hopefully be able to find the place :rolleyes:

I'll text you my number dude. I live nearby, so give me a call if you get lost.

I won't be there. :(

Have to go to Wexford and babysit.

Or you have to bring a child to a tournament so he can get a sponsorship deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Darachnid

I'll be recording bands in a pub on Sat. Pity, I'd love to go. Good luck guys and see if you can get some good ssfiv recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 7nationsoldier

does anyone have a pad converter for ps3 to xbox? if so can you bring it?

Advertisement