Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy hygine

Options
  • 07-09-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

My son is 15 weeks old an uncircumcised. When should we start cleaning behind his foreskin? I'm guessing it won't be for a while yet but when should we start considering it?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Evil Phil wrote: »
    My son is 15 weeks old an uncircumcised. When should we start cleaning behind his foreskin? I'm guessing it won't be for a while yet but when should we start considering it?

It's likely his foreskin won't retract if you were to try. I was told that by the time it needs to be done he'll be able to do it himself, around puberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I was told by my GP to leave it alone as the foreskin doesn't retract until they are older and forcing it will cause injury or UTIs. It'll look after itself once you bath him regularly (we only do once a week bath nights with sponge washes in between). Around the age of 5 or 6 they can be shown how to clean it themselves, rinsing with water only (soap etc can cause irritation).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

My doc told me not to pull it back to wash, it will hurt and you could cause damage. Some boys have tight foreskins but they will stretch/loosen as they grow. I would only be concernced if he has a discharge or bad smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Really not a good idea to do this as it will cause baby pain & also open to infection just leave willy alone clean around the area with a wipe but that's it ;) Boys are much easier to clean than girls there's no front to back on a boy just quick and easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement