Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to take/put in you bottle

• 07-09-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

guys,

I dont understand this electrolytes business at all, I currently take water(with cordial) on my cycles. should I be looking at specific products aim at people that 'train'?

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Try and pick up a few sample packs to get an idea of what you might like. It's a good idea to have a carbohydrate drink with some electrolytes, but it depends on the type of training you have planned. Lots of people stay hydrated with just water and a bit of juice.

Don't be swayed by the marketing! Lucozade has never let me train longer at anything, just quicker at beating a hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In Ireland, in September, you'd have a hard time reaching the limits of fluid absorption.

A pinch or two of salt isn't a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lo salt > salt. I checked the filthy dioralite gear and it has potassium chloride + sodium chloride (table salt). Lo salt has both too, though not in exactly the same ratio, it's grand.

Electrolytes = salts basically. Sugary drink + salt = isotonic drink. Just helps speed of absorption, retention and replaces some of the salts you sweat out. Not an issue for most punters but when you're sweating like a pig on a hot summers day in the slaughterhouse (as I tend to), replacing lost salt can be a thing.

Sugar too. Sugar's good in your bottle IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

I used to get shocking bad headaches a few hours after returning home from a 4+ hr spin, especially on warmer days. Started to bring one of those Powerade ion+ drinks in my jersey and it helped. Use Nuun electrolyte tablets now, one in a bottle and a bottle of something else and find I don't get headaches anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I used to take two bottles of plain water. Just recently started taking one bottle of water, and one bottle of the SIS powder stuff. Have yet to notice the difference, but I assume it does some good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

skerry wrote: »
    I used to get shocking bad headaches a few hours after returning home from a 4+ hr spin, especially on warmer days. Started to bring one of those Powerade ion+ drinks in my jersey and it helped. Use Nuun electrolyte tablets now, one in a bottle and a bottle of something else and find I don't get headaches anymore.

+1 on nuun. Fab stuff. No carbs, just salts/electrolytes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Khannie wrote: »
    Sugar too. Sugar's good in your bottle IMO.
    Dentist told me the other day to stick to water, as we both suspect sipping sugary drinks regularly on the bike contributed to the 2 hours I spent with him on Monday (and 90 minutes the previous Monday). TBH I think when not racing 1+ hours water is fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    guys,

I dont understand this electrolytes business at all, I currently take water(with cordial) on my cycles. should I be looking at specific products aim at people that 'train'?

Any recommendations?

How much cycling are you doing at what intensity? What your drinking now is fine if your doing high intensity stuff then a different additive might be appropriate and help you move on from a fitness/preformace plateau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Rew wrote: »
    How much cycling are you doing at what intensity? What your drinking now is fine if your doing high intensity stuff then a different additive might be appropriate and help you move on from a fitness/preformace plateau.

I'm only doing about 01:30h, as hard as I can manage. But I'm looking to build on this, wanna aim towards doing some 100s or 200s next year.

Thanks to all for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I'm only doing about 01:30h, as hard as I can manage. But I'm looking to build on this, wanna aim towards doing some 100s or 200s next year.

This will keep you going...prob not best for evening spins though :)

www.usnireland.ie/acatalog/cyto-power-hp.html

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Dentist told me the other day to stick to water, as we both suspect sipping sugary drinks regularly on the bike contributed to the 2 hours I spent with him on Monday (and 90 minutes the previous Monday). TBH I think when not racing 1+ hours water is fine.

Isomaltulose/Palatinose.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/palatinose
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomaltulose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id say what you have with a dioralyte thrown in would be fine. You should try some of the recovery drinks out there I use a Science in Sport one and find it great for muscle recovery. Drank about 3 pints of it after Gaelforce West and I was out running and cycling the Monday after no problems.

Recently I got some High 5 4:1 (http://www.highfive.co.uk/energy_endurance_drinks/energy_source4_1.htm) which I found good for during long sessions.

I did a bit of reading leading up to Gaelforce and a lot of the carb and isotonic drinks are more important the longer your going for with the benefits being quantifiable at 2hours+ but obviously water is very important in any before during and after exercise.

Lumen wrote: »

Expensive enough. Looks good though. I particularly like this bit in that wikipedia page:
    isomaltulose can increase the amount of fat used as energy, thus enhancing performance endurance

Beasty wrote: »
    TBH I think when not racing 1+ hours water is fine.

Maybe if you've eaten some carbs just beforehand or on the bike. Otherwise you'll probably* be hitting glycogen depletion (and therefore reduced performance) an hour in.

*haven't done the numbers / may be rubbish

Khannie wrote: »
    Expensive enough.

Cheaper than dentistry!

Lumen wrote: »
    Cheaper than dentistry!

Hahaha. :D Less painful too. My dentist always tells me I'm a legend. Might add that stuff to my next order mind you.

Advertisement