Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Sales and Repairs

Options
  • 07-09-2011 4:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

To anyone who maybe interested. It is my aim to set up a unit in the Eyre Square Shopping Centre or as close to the City Centre as possible in Galway. The idea is to set up within a high footfall area, preferably within the Shopping Centre or Shop street and offer such services as IT sales and repairs with potential to provide Business to Business services also.

My view would be to expand the business within 5 years and potentially buy out any other investor/s or even recaptialise depending on the ablity to meet demand. On a side note, I will be heavily involved in the day to day operations running the unit on a skeleton crew until business is viable and allows for the hiring of other staff members.

I have only begun to plan, so any who maybe interested even in the planning process can PM me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What exactly are you looking for? Advice, employees or investors?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Forgive me for not outlining what I am looking for. Advice would be great, but I would like at least 1-2 investors if is determined that the business is viable by all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

If you are fixing computers make sure there is parking nearby. Can't imagine that people would like carrying their computers far from their car.

Foot fall/passing trade, competition, rent and rates. Find out those 4 things first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Dont do it, is my advice. Its a razor thin margin business and with the way things are its generally cheaper to replace than to repair.

If you are thinking of brick and mortar IT sales, it should be obvious why there will be problems.

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote: »
    its generally cheaper to replace than to repair.

Have to disagree with you there. For the early 2000s up to about 2007, credit on tap in Currys, PC world & other retail outlets meant people could go in and buy a laptop any day of the week. With that credit now unattainable, it means people have no choice but to get their machines repaired. If you can get the right suppliers, you can make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Dont do it, is my advice. Its a razor thin margin business and with the way things are its generally cheaper to replace than to repair.

If you are thinking of brick and mortar IT sales, it should be obvious why there will be problems.

I had a big long anecdotal story written but deleted it, as It had no figures.

Suffice to say that I personally find a lot of people are increasingly moving towards fixing rather than replacing. A lot can be done to a laptop for €80 - €150 versus at least €399 for a new one....

Naturally Id suggest that the OP does their research - perhaps along the lines of the 4'ps and as another person stated footfall.

As someone else stated accessibility is important. There are three local shops doing IT repair. When randomly picking one a few years ago in order to purchase an urgent accessory, I just picked the one with easy, free on street parking - vs the other two which were in busy streets impossible to park near.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

As another poster said, a lot more people are fixing their PCs and laptops now compared to say 3 or 4 years ago as they just don't have the money to buy a new one any more.

As for the footfall, well I'd definitely look at a location with high footfall and decent parking. More and more people have laptops as they don't have the room or don't want the bulk of a PC taking up space in their place, so that will help if you're somewhere central. Another option is to offer a collection/delivery service.

So collect from someone's house in the evenings and drop back in the evenings. Saves them having to take time off work which will also appeal.

Tox

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Those are quite good considerations to take into account, such as convinence and access. I was thinking of collection and delivery of machines for repair which is a really good point and carrying around even a laptop can be an issue for some.

Advertisement