Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary school options in Naas

Options
  • 07-09-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi

Little one is starting school new year and we're new enough to the area.
    What are the options and peoples opinions on each one?
    Know most of them are single sex and some are a feeder to certain secondary schools.
    Ideally we'd be more in favour of mixed as her little brother would be starting a year later but then again the reputation of the school would also count...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Ballycane school is pretty good and it's mixed. It stops at 2nd class and then the guys usually go to the Brothers and the girls to the Mercy Convent beside the church. All have good repuatations. St.Davids across from Maxol down near the Dublin road is mixed too as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Anyone know much about the one in pipers hill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

I don't know about the Educate Together school there but I do know the Gaelscoil has / had a four year waiting list and a requirement they attend the Niornra attached to the school for a year before hand. Those that did and were registered got spaces after those with family in the area. 3rd then was all others. We registered the daughter a few days after she was born. That was nearly three years ago and if off to the playschool soon but the Gaelscoil does get excellient reviews from speaking to some parents who have children there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I don't know about the Educate Together school there but I do know the Gaelscoil has / had a four year waiting list and a requirement they attend the Niornra attached to the school for a year before hand. Those that did and were registered got spaces after those with family in the area. 3rd then was all others.

Please, nobody be put off approaching the Gael Scoil by this post! Absolutely NONE of it is true.

There is not, and never has been, any such thing as a waiting list for the Gael Scoil. Like a lot of other schools out there, they operate a system where a meeting is held each January for those interested in sending their children the following September. The application form is given out at this meeting only, so it must be attended. Yes, you can contact the school to be on the mailing list for the meeting, but when you join this mailing list is of no consequence.

Like all other schools, there is a points system to gain entry IF they are over subscribed. A point is awarded for various things, such as a sibling already in the school, living in Naas, attending a naíonra, and your childs age. It is absolutely not mandatory to attend a naíonra. Neither of my children did. If you feel you may be weak on some of the other points (maybe your child will be very young and you don't live in Naas) you should certainly consider the naíonra to strengthen your chances.

HOWEVER, PLEASE NOTE, this points system would only come in to action if they were over subscribed. The school (which is wonderful by the way) is still gaining in reputation, and struggled to get the numbers it required last year, so it is important that people are not put off even applying with inaccurate information.

I can't recommend the school highly enough, and it is getting better year on year as they settle into their fantastic new building. OP, private message me if you have any specific questions. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

What's the newest school up beside the GAA pitch like?
    Is it a feeder school for any secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pipers Hill is a secondary school. Only open about 2-3 yrs and is where I will be sending my 2 boys. Pipers Hill is a feeder school for all schools from Naas and surrounding areas. Check their website for the priorities for enrollment.

Both my boys go to Scoil Bhride on the Sallins Rd next to the GAA. One is in 5th and the other in 3rd. My boy in 5th has been in the school since the first yr it was opened. Its a mixed school and by all accounts I have no problems with it. They have great facilities, plenty after school clubs and is beside the GAA that they have the use of for matches and after school GAA training.
    The school is also in the middle of an extension to get some extra classrooms and will have an all weather pitch aswell as part of the work. Due for completion some time next yr.
    I think St. Davids is a Protestant school. Ballycane is also mixed but as mentioned once they pass 2nd class they will move onto Corbans Boys or the Convent.
    If you have kids of differents sexes, the mixed school is usually better for most people. I have no problem recommending Scoil Bhride. Gael Scoil also has a new school up beside Pipers Hill.

A lot can depend on what part of the town you live aswell. We are within walking distance of Scoil Bhride so its another plus for it

Advertisement