Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating oil consumption

• 07-09-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I recently got my heating system upgraded, my old system used to heat the rads and hot water together when the boiler was on.

But now I have the heating, and the water on seperate controls, I was wondering if I have them both on at the same time are they using the same amount of oil, as if I'd only had one of them turned on

Hope this makes sense :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Pud27 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if I have them both on at the same time are they using the same amount of oil, as if I'd only had one of them turned on

Hope this makes sense :rolleyes:

No. You know the old phrase "you get nothing for nothing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

nice try though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Pud27

Ah it was worth a try :o

Just thought because it was "upgraded"
    Find it strange that it essentially now use more oil than the old system, as the old one when the heating was turned on it heated the water.. :confused:

Might be a cold winter in my house!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

In an old thermal energy demanding system the new set-up (boiler heating DHW and CH seperatly) could indeed lead to an increased fuel consumption.
    Get a heating engineer in to check this set-up.

The problem arises when the boiler-output (kW) produces more energy than the heatexchanger in the DHW system can take.
    The majority of Irish DHW systems is laid out in this manner. Idiotic but subsidised.

To get an efficient system the boiler's minimum output has to match the heatexchanger's capacity.

Advertisement