Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Playpen: Colm!

Options
  • 07-09-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

Many moons ago a young fellow came to be asking for my assistance. He required a play pen intro. To my utmost pleasure I agreed to take on the task believing that such a thing would be easy to write about. However having hit writers block several times, this intro will lack the awesomeness that this guy deserves!

Some know him as "That guy from the boiler room" others know him as just plain Colm! Having raked in a grand total of 656 fans, it is obvious to say that this guy is one hell of a man!

His wide taste in music is known to many both near and far. He is often found posting in the "Soundtrack to you angst" spreading his love for music to all!

So I give to you the one and only Colm! :D

1z5kkrq.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Favourite album of all time?

If you could go to any gig who would you go to and why?

Was my intro up to the expectations?

Best moment of JC 2010?

Ideas for college?

Favourite kind of cereal?

How's it going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

M&S* wrote: »
    Favourite album of all time?
    Arcade Fire - Funeral. Pushed ahead of the rest because seeing the songs played live was such an awesome experience.

If you could go to any gig who would you go to and why?
    Obviously impossible, but I'd love to have been able to see Jimi Hendrix live. I should barely have to explain why. Insane amounts of skill, brilliant music.

Was my intro up to the expectations?
    Expected a bit more, but it's a good intro. I realise you probably didn't have much to write about me tbh.

Best moment of JC 2010?
    Going home from Maths Paper 2 quite early and immediately posting on Boards about how easy it was, getting quoted in the paper as a result and used this for bragging rights in the OT threads

Ideas for college?
    Physics & Astrophysics, Law (International), Computer Science, Mathematical Sciences... ugh, it's a long list. I'm 99% sure I'm going to UCC.

Favourite kind of cereal?
    Not really one for cereal. Like, I don't have a favourite. I have porridge every morning (a totally depressing breakfast) although it's awesome with maple syrup.
    I barely eat cereal, when I do, I don't eat it with milk. Am I strange for that?

How's it going?
    Grand. And yourself?
    np: explosions in the sky - your hand in mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Some know him as "That guy from the boiler room" others know him as just plain Colm!

*looks at Colm's location*

:eek: The boiler room in Clon?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Do you like pokemon?
    Have you ever seen toddlers and tiaras?
    What song are you listening to right now?
    Do ya like sports?
    What do you want to do when you leave school?
    Green or blue?
    When will I,when will I be famous?
    Would you rather no phone or no internet?

:eek: The boiler room in Clon?!

In September 2009 I combined my complete lack of shame with my complete lack of dancing ability and took to the dance floor of the Boiler Room Clonakilty.
    Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Every night since when I made my way back to that place, I was being followed and asked to repeat the display of total self-humiliation synchronised to dance beats. It went on for ages. Even though I'm long past the Boiler Room, the dance goes on.
    Y1WVy.jpg
    (that guy was seriously annoying)
    It deprived my early teenage years of the chance to get the shift as my total infamy and self-embarrassment repulsed all members of the opposite sex. Even the most truly unattractive of us stand more of a chance than me.
    But I think that I've somehow bettered the lives of others, by giving them something to laugh at, or by adding a small bit more madness to the fairly mediocre world of underage events... as you can see from this. https://www.facebook.com/pages/That-guy-from-the-boiler-room
    8wGtj.jpg
    656 fans.

I've since taken over that facebook page which I use to publish my DJ mixes from time to time.

But that's how I got my name. It's one of the various names I've got for myself.

Do you like pokemon?
    gold & silver 4 lyf
    Have you ever seen toddlers and tiaras?
    I've heard of it, and I don't think I want to.
    What song are you listening to right now?

Do ya like sports?
    Play a bitta rugby, watch a bitta other sports
    What do you want to do when you leave school?
    Be something. Don't have a clue what. I might be halfway through UCC (where I'll more than likely end up) still not knowing what to do
    Green or blue?
    Green
    When will I,when will I be famous?
    soon.
    Would you rather no phone or no internet?
    No phone. I remember when I got my phone and was like "whoa, the battery in this is awesome", then realised that was because I wasn't using it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Favourite DJ?

Favourite songwriter?

Favourite piece of technology at the moment?

Ableton, Serato or Traktor?

flyswatter wrote: »
    Favourite DJ?
    best live- The Twelves. (yeah, it's a duo)2 hour essential mix if you haven't heard their greatness
    best on record- DJ Shadow (endtroducing era)
    best producers- probably Justice based solely on their first album and Planisphere EP

Favourite songwriter?
    To be honest, don't have one

Favourite piece of technology at the moment?
    Right now? My 2nd monitor (recently upgraded). Love it. It changes the way I work with my computer :L

Ableton, Serato or Traktor?
    I've never used Serato, and have minimal experience with both Traktor and Ableton (I DJ live with VirtualDJ despite its faults; that said I've actually downloaded pirate copies of both Traktor and Ableton and am installing them now as I look to moving my DJing forward a bit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ideas for college?
    Physics & Astrophysics, Law (International), Computer Science, Mathematical Sciences... ugh, it's a long list. I'm 99% sure I'm going to UCC.

I'm gonna butt in with some advice here. If you're planning to do physics in college then DO NOT go to UCC. I had so many frustrating and soul-destroying experiences with that department and that course over four years. It pretty much broke me. And it wasn't from laziness or lack of trying on my part.

Seriously, if you want to do physics, look into other colleges and study it somewhere else.

The maths department in UCC are (in general) quite good though. It's certainly not the worst place to do a maths degree, although Trinity has the best reputation when it comes to maths in Ireland. UCC itself is a fantastic place, though (as with all universities) some courses are taught a lot better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Good lad for liking DJ Shadow.

Favourite DJ Shadow song?

I'm gonna butt in with some advice here. If you're planning to do physics in college then DO NOT got to UCC. I had so many frustrating and soul-destroying experiences with that department and that course over four years. It pretty much broke me. And it wasn't from laziness or lack of trying on my part.

Seriously, if you want to do physics, look into other colleges and study it somewhere else.

The maths department in UCC are (in general) quite good though. It's certainly not the worst place to do a maths degree, although Trinity has the best reputation when it comes to maths in Ireland.
    The problem is that I'm kind of restricted to UCC due to accommodation reasons. My parents won't complain if I go to Trinity or elsewhere but are very insistent that I go to Cork as they have a house near the college which they've been using throughout my three brothers' studies at UCC.
    I'll definitely take what you've said about the Physics department into account, however, and consider studying elsewhere if I'm still set on Physics in two years time.

Favourite DJ Shadow song?

although Endtroducing and Psyence Fiction are both absolutely brilliant records

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Colm! wrote: »
    In September 2009 I combined my complete lack of shame with my complete lack of dancing ability and took to the dance floor of the Boiler Room Clonakilty.

:pac::pac: That's gas! I remember my boiler room days... What a laugh it was :D I avoided dancing if at all possible for the exact reason that people might find my sense of movement comical, make a facebook (/bebo..!) page about it and end up having 656 fans :P:P

But then songs like this came on... How could I not dance to such musical gold!!

Sorry, on with the questions!!

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Favourite 90s boy band?

Do you prefer to write in blue pen or black pen, or another colour?

Xbox or playstation, or eh... Wii? Or Atari Jaguar?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Sup braah?

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
    a human person

Favourite 90s boy band?
    that one that made music

Do you prefer to write in blue pen or black pen, or another colour?
    Blue. On another note, why do they even bother with green pens? They're practically useless

Xbox or playstation, or eh... Wii? Or Atari Jaguar?! :P
    PC (via Steam).
    marko93 wrote: »
    Sup braah?
    Chillin' brah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Sup?

Business or History?

Any interest in JC Results 2k11? (they're the biggest thing in my life right now, they overspill everywhere :p)

TY - yay or nay?

Facebook or Twitter?

Oasis or Blur?

Muse or Radiohead?

deise or soccy?

Slow Show or Fast Show?

Colm! or Colm?

5th year students 2011-2012 vs. JC 2010?

Annoying questions or the most annoying questions?

I bid thee adieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Are you a cat or dog person?

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

What's the most outrageous piece of clothing you've ever worn, excluding fancy dress etc?

Do you dress up for Halloween?

What's your favourite holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Is it possible to lie without saying a word??

Why isnt milk, evaporated, a gas???

Do you ask enough questions or settle for what you know??

When all is said and done, will you have said more than you've done???

Why do we close doors and windows to reduce noise, considering that sound travels better through solids?

What is true strength?

Whats the difference between living and existing???

Can we ever be sure that our perception of things is right – without consulting other people? If we do consult others, how are we to know whether theirs is true or if we’re both deluded?

No doubt, as you read these questions, you hear a voice in your head. What do deaf people hear when they read???

"It takes all types to make up society." Discuss, in no less than 500 words, and no more than 503.

Typing long, philosophical bull****ty replies to Screaminmidget and Chrome crashed and for some reason saved my answers to Slow Show. What
    Slow Show wrote: »
    Sup?

Business or History?
    Business :\

Any interest in JC Results 2k11? (they're the biggest thing in my life right now, they overspill everywhere :p)
    Why not, I've friends in JC 2k11 and I might actually end up DJing a results night disco. The places I go for to get experience :rolleyes:

TY - yay or nay?
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Facebook or Twitter?
    Facebook. As you can tell by the fact that my twitter account is nothing but cross-posts from my recently-abandoned Tumblr account...

Oasis or Blur?
    Blur.

Muse or Radiohead?
    Radiohead, although I can say I prefer some Muse albums to TKOL. Sorry, TKOL, you will never be the best radiohead album

deise or soccy?
    deisemonster

Slow Show or Fast Show?
    The National's Slow Show.

Colm! or Colm?
    Colm?!?

5th year students 2011-2012 vs. JC 2010?
    LC2k13

Annoying questions or the most annoying questions?
    tbf I spent ages trying to think of a 90s boyband for JamJamJamJam's question and couldn't so just plain annoying

I bid thee adieu.

Are you a cat or dog person?
    Dogs, easily, although our family once had a pet goat. It committed suicide by hanging itself. (full story avaliable on request)

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
    Downtown NYC, or quiet suburban Paris. Can't really speak enough french to survive the latter though

What's the most outrageous piece of clothing you've ever worn, excluding fancy dress etc?
    I've worn a fez to a few explicitly non-fancy dress things. It's a good conversation piece.

Do you dress up for Halloween?
    I'd love to, but Halloween in this town is a shockingly boring experience

What's your favourite holiday?
    I love the sense of family and community I get here around Christmas. It's amazing, even if the holiday means nothing to me religiously

Is it possible to lie without saying a word??
    I can type a lie and not say a word.

Why isnt milk, evaporated, a gas???
    Evaporate water out of milk - be left with strange concentrated milk compound, called "evaporated" as it was produced by partial evaporation [/guess]

Do you ask enough questions or settle for what you know??
    Which questions? What is enough? What do I know?

When all is said and done, will you have said more than you've done???
    How do I quantify what I've said and done to compare them? I can presume the answer to this question is impossible. By not having answered it (hence doing nothing), but having wasted a few words on it (hence saying more than I've done), I've said more than I've done, but that's not "all said and done", right?
    Oh, I give up.
    Yes.

Why do we close doors and windows to reduce noise, considering that sound travels better through solids?
    I'm guessing that the passing of sound from gas to solid to gas takes away a lot of its volume

What is true strength?
    There is no "true strength". One can be strong in will and still get the shit kicked out of them for not being physically strong enough to fight back

Whats the difference between living and existing???
    A corpse exists yet is not alive.
    To exist simply means to be.
    To live means to be alive, in other words, display the characteristics of living things.

Can we ever be sure that our perception of things is right – without consulting other people? If we do consult others, how are we to know whether theirs is true or if we’re both deluded?
    No, but I trust my perception. That said I should buy a pair of glasses
    I see things, react to them and the effects of my actions that I perceive make sense to me, so I trust my perception

No doubt, as you read these questions, you hear a voice in your head. What do deaf people hear when they read???
    If deaf from birth, nothing, seeing as they don't understand what sound or spoken language is at all.
    If deaf from an event, they may very well hear the same.

"It takes all types to make up society." Discuss, in no less than 500 words, and no more than 503.
    http://pastebin.com/LiCQMWxp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yesterday I was innocently flicking through my fb news feed, only to notice that one of my friends was now friends with someone whose name sounded oddly familiar. That person was, as it transpired, you. How do you feel about this disturbing collision of boards and real life?
    Opinions on St Angelas?
    Opinions on Pitchfork?
    Best things about Cork?
    Worst things about Cork?

Colm! wrote: »
    Our family once had a pet goat. It committed suicide by hanging itself. (full story avaliable on request)

Yeah... I'm going to need the full story.

Yeah... I'm going to need the full story.

I used to live on a hill out by the outskirts of this town when I was younger. We moved soon after I was born, but before we were born, the family had a famous pet goat.
    Famous, as in the goat did EVERYTHING with them. My brother had his confirmation photos taken with the goat. The family was a bit obsessed with them.
    The second obsession that my brothers had was with Lego. There was a room in the house filled with the most absolutely brilliant Lego city you'd ever see. Street lighting, timetabled trains, et cetera. It truly was a sight to behold and my brothers spent a lot of time in there.
    When they realised they could check on the goat and see if he was OK by looking out the window from this room, they never left. Days went by and the goat seemed to be doing fine. He was tied to a tree by a rope, and he was able to eat grass and so on.
    Each day my Dad would come home and ask how the goat was. They'd not have checked up on him, but they'd say he was fine seeing as they looked out the window.
    One day, my dad asked the same. "He's sitting down, dad." Now, my father didn't know what to make of this and he moved on.
    And then the next.. "Still sitting down.. in the same place.."
    This went on for a few days, when eventually they agreed that something was strange.
    So my brothers went out to check. The goat, with his arms outstretched, was found on the ground. It was concluded that the goat had walked around his tree several times to shorten the rope, then either jumped or tripped or something, and was left hanging with his arms outstretched.
    tl;dr my family's pet goat hanged itself due to loneliness.
    It was buried in our back garden along with a string of other pets, including a guinea pig that was buried in a french biscuit tin (they believe that they could have ****ed up the future of archaeology. If this is being read in the distant future, it's probably not what you think)

Namlub wrote: »
    Yesterday I was innocently flicking through my fb news feed, only to notice that one of my friends was now friends with someone whose name sounded oddly familiar. That person was, as it transpired, you. How do you feel about this disturbing collision of boards and real life?
    I'm 99% sure this isn't even the first time it's happened. But you living in Cork, you're bound to have a mutual friend (by the FB definition of "friend" anyway) or two of mine so it doesn't honestly shock me
    Opinions on St Angelas?
    Know a few people from St. Angelas via Irish College, they're all sound. So it's cool.
    Opinions on Pitchfork?
    Pitchfork is a great news site but I don't like their review style. At all.
    They've sure come a long way from "The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax." (I cringed while copy-pasting that) but I still think there's other sites to go to that better discuss the actual music.
    That and MBDTF is a great album but was in no way 10.0. No way.

Best things about Cork?
    Living in a ****ty town an hour away from the city, I like practically everything about Cork: there's actually stuff to do there. Here if I'm bored, all I really can do is hit up the internet. Up there, there are places to go. Meet up with friends, check out some stuff in town. That's something that's in every city, but it sure as hell means a lot.
    Kinda helps that Cork is a nice size of a place. You can walk everywhere.

Worst things about Cork?
    Worst thing overall? €15 return bus ticket for me to get there. ****s me over when I want to see friends up there.
    np: Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em

• Advertisement

*question-demanding bump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Do you feel that playpen thread lately are receiving less and less questions?

If yes, how do we solve this problem?

Can you play any instruments?

If you could choose any instrument to play what would it be?

Favourite season?

Do you follow any TV shows?

Favourite movie of 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Favourite type of Cat?

Cheese?

Dundalk?

Beggars?

Europe?

Gaeilge?

Deutsch?

NomNomNom?

Favourite type of Cat?
    Ones that won't give me toxoplasmosis

Cheese?
    I do like a nice Brie

Dundalk?
    That Dundalk

Beggars?
    Buskers

Europe?
    European Europe

Gaeilge?
    Munster Dialect ftw

Deutsch?
    NEIN

NomNomNom?
    OM nom nom. No trailing N.
    Do you feel that playpen thread lately are receiving less and less questions?
    Yeah. I don't post in many of them and not many are posting in mine.

If yes, how do we solve this problem?
    To be honest I think we're just watching the activity go down as people go back to school, college etc. Playpen was almost dead a while ago for probably the same reason

Can you play any instruments?
    Know a few chords on the guitar, can play one or two things on the keyboard. Now focusing on the great digital world that is Ableton

If you could choose any instrument to play what would it be?
    Cello.

Favourite season?
    Winter. Love it.

Do you follow any TV shows?
    Not really. I watched the first four series of Skins back over the Easter break and that was really my last TV show.

Favourite movie of 2011?
    I've only seen two, hence The Inbetweeners wins. Screw this town and its cinemalessness.
    Best film I saw DURING 2010 is The Prestige. Good film but the ending is a bit of a mind****

"Writing is not the cause of misery, it is born of misery" - Michel de Montaigne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

So, like, what are you wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I'm really not sure why, but I feel I must ask a moustache-related question, or possibly questions!

Firstly, moustaches; yay or nay?

What's your favourite style of moustache?

How would/do you keep your moustache in such pristine, god-weepingly immaculate condition?

Who would win in a fight; Salvador Dali's moustache or Prince Michael of Kent's moustache?

Do you have any amusing moustache-related anecdotes?

Why do villains usually curl their moustaches when they're up to something sinister, what's going on there exactly?

In a dream, you are visited by a giant, sentient moustache which tells you about your future and warns you of the great evil known (in the whispers of the whiskered) as "Gillette". What does this suggest about the relationship between you and your mother?

If you could invite any five famous historical moustaches to attend a dinner party with you, which moustaches would you invite?

Do you believe that extra-terrestrial moustaches are really out there? Do you think we'll ever make contact and share grooming tips with them?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Opinions on this song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZB0jg-no8
    Not bad. That said, there is a time and place for that song, and should you play it at the wrong time or place, it shall have negative consequences

I'm really not sure why, but I feel I must ask a moustache-related question, or possibly questions!
    You moustache me a question...

Firstly, moustaches; yay or nay?
    Yay, should they be done correctly.

What's your favourite style of moustache?
    Fu Manchu

How would/do you keep your moustache in such pristine, god-weepingly immaculate condition?
    I sadly have not yet the ability to grow an excellent moustache.

Who would win in a fight; Salvador Dali's moustache or Prince Michael of Kent's moustache?
    The Dali moustache was clearly an innovator in its field but loses to the Michael of Kent moustache.

Do you have any amusing moustache-related anecdotes?
    My brother was at a World Beard and Moustache competition, he would. I sadly do not.

Why do villains usually curl their moustaches when they're up to something sinister, what's going on there exactly?
    Sitting at a computer with one hand at the general area of the face where my moustache would be, I'd say it just becomes a habit.

In a dream, you are visited by a giant, sentient moustache which tells you about your future and warns you of the great evil known (in the whispers of the whiskered) as "Gillette". What does this suggest about the relationship between you and your mother?
    It tells me that I should escape the boundraies placed upon me by my family life, embrace freedom and grow a moustache

If you could invite any five famous historical moustaches to attend a dinner party with you, which moustaches would you invite?
    Dali, Charlie Chaplin, Charlies Darwin, Santa Claus, and Frank Zappa

Do you believe that extra-terrestrial moustaches are really out there? Do you think we'll ever make contact and share grooming tips with them?
    ONE DAY.
    Namlub wrote: »
    So, like, what are you wearing?
    Green t-shirt. Tracksuit pants.

Hands down best goat story I've ever heard! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

What's your guilty pleasure TV?

Have you now or have you ever had a pen pal. If so, how did it go?

What's your favourite movie?

What do you eat your brie with?

Any quirks?

What was the weirdest moment you have ever experienced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I. Firstly, my usual questions:
    Any allergies?

Is a Jaffa Cake a biscuit or a cake?

Shaken or stirred?

Left or right?

Up or down?

To bee or not to bee?

The best of times or the worst of times?

II. Secondly, some new ones:
    Curtains or blinds?

Carpet or wooden floor

Paint or wallpapaer?

What colour is the room you're in right now?

Leftie or rightie?

Favourite pair of shoes?

What colour socks are you wearing?

Your opinion of socks and sandals.

What subjects did ya pick for 5th year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement