Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Units used

Options
  • 07-09-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    Can anyone help?

I have started to monitor the units of electricity I use every day, due to a huge increase in my ESB bill.

I have a small semi detached house, with your usual appliances excluding a dishwasher.

I have stopped using my immersion, I boil kettles of water now to was h the dishes.

I am using 17 units on average of electricity a day.

I know my information is vague but can anyone tell me if this is right?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's €2.72 / day or €82 / month. It sounds like a lot of electricity. Does your new monitor show when these units are being used?

What sort of loads / equipment have you got in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MaryFMOR

I have your typical household appliances. I have measured my fridge freezer and it is working efficiently (according to the ESB calculator). A 40 degree wash uses .37 of a unit again measured. My kettle uses one unit seeing as I'm using it to wash my dishes. The tumble drier used 1 unit again measured.

My ESB bill surged (by 100euro) in Aug 10 when the ESB installed a new digital meter but they have assured me that they do not give inaccurate readings.

I cannot get them out to check it :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Do you have any electrical heaters in your house?

Do you have an electric hob and/or instantaneous shower (such as a Triton) that you use for long periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MaryFMOR

Hi 2011
    No I have no electric heaters in my house.

I have an electric hob.

I have a triton shower that is used at least once a day for 12 mins, max 3 times a day.

This however is not (I think) an explanation for my units.

The other morning my meter went up by 4 units, all that was being used in the house was the electric kettle, the hob for 6 mins (to boil my child's egg) and the computer (my husband was home). I just feel that this was a very high increase for such little usage.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your old meter might possibly have been under reading, especially if it was an old one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement