Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Oaks Hotel Portumna Destroyed

Options
  • 07-09-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

Huge fire there atm.

There'll be 30 jobs gone there I'd say, massive blow for the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0907/portumna.html
    One of the West of Ireland's best known hotels has been extensively damaged by fire.
    80 guests and staff were forced to leave the Shannon Oaks Hotel in Portumna, Co Galway, when the blaze broke out shortly after lunchtime.
    Fire-fighters from counties Galway and Tipperary fought to get the blaze under control.

A management spokesman said the hotel would remain closed for sometime, but that there was no threat to the 60 jobs.
    He said the damage was mainly confined to the kitchen area where the fire broke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I saw that about the jobs not being under threat, all the same that's 60 people out of work until it's rebuilt. It was recently taken over by the Maldron Group I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This is a pity, going by the pics it looks pretty bad.

You'd have to be concerned about its future

I regularly stop in there for lunch.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Hopefully they'll be up and running again soon enough and the staff back to work.

Advertisement