Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Road Construction Site Across from Apartments

Options
  • 07-09-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what they are building across from the apartments on the river road? Please tell me its not more apartments...it cant be :eek:......can it !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not new apartments, that area is zoned amenity and is part of the River Tolka Linear Park.
    I'm not sure what they are doing, hopefully not making it into anything like the area on the finglas side of Rathoath Road which is fine for humans but nearly devoid of wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

looks very much like it is going to be a road cutting off a large portion of the River road, quicker access to the junction at Tolka Vally road and Raoth road to join with the new bridge over the train tracks and canal at Reilly bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sklondon

This is from Dublin City Council

The construction of Cardiffsbridge Park started on site today for the engineering works contract. This contract will run for 6 months as of 26 August, the date of appointment of Wills Bros Contractors. It includes:

• Construction of a new shared cycle path/pedestrian footpath
    • Construction of a new pedestrian bridge
    • A new fishery enhancement scheme
    • 3 new wetlands to control pollution in the river and flooding
    • Installation of lighting and CCTV
    • New park entrances
    • New boundary treatment at Scribblestown Lane to control access

The project is being built in accordance with the planning permission received under Part 8 in 2007. Funding is from DCC levies and the National Transport Agency. This will bring the cycle route already constructed in 2010 at Tolka Valley Park from Finglas Road to Ratoath Road beyond to Ashtown. The works are being coordinated by Roads and Traffic Planning Department.

Following the successful completion of the engineering works contract, we will progress the softworks contract for the final grading and planting of the park. This will be co-ordinated by the Parks and Landscape Services Division. The park will then be opened to the public.

Maryann Harris

Senior Executive Parks Superintendent, Parks and Landscape Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are their any plans/maps of this. Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Had a look at this site today. it looks like its gonna be a great recreational area! Well played

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

There is about 6 weeks left to the completion date, how does it look, haven't been down that way for a while and with the boards up can't see much.
    Is the bridge built, is it opened up on the Finglas side?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Looks like more than 6 weeks work left there tbh

Past down that way from Ashtown to Ratoath road today, lot of work going on, can't see to much with all the boards up but they have gate posts built, the bridge looks nearly finished, light posts in place.
    It looks very strange with all the water in the middle of the site.
    When it's finished I hope the locals from Rathboune use it regularly or the locals from the other end will turn it into a no go/drinking area.

Wondering how things are looking on site after the new building and the bad weather today.
    It look's well advanced, the bridge look's finished and some of the pathway is down.
    Anyone got a view without getting too soaked.

Took a walk through it recently, looks good but there's a lot left to be done. It seems very bare, so much vegetation removed to be replaced by grass, I really hope they put in more trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Looks well great to see land that public couldnt normally access easily being used like this. Hope it doesnt become a rat run for scobies from the finglas end though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

All over the country there are projects like this. The only reason for them is for some local councillor or politician to be able to say look what I did for you when they are going for re-election.

Tens of millions being spent, how many hospital beds would this money keep open of extra Garda on the streets or some other better service to the community.

All over the country there are projects like this. The only reason for them is for some local councillor or politician to be able to say look what I did for you when they are going for re-election.

Tens of millions being spent, how many hospital beds would this money keep open of extra Garda on the streets or some other better service to the community.

Not so sure about that, this is part of a long-term plan by Fingal to improve amenities in the area. People need amenity areas as well as hospital beds, there's already more than enough of our tax money going to the health service as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

Gaspode wrote: »
    Not so sure about that, this is part of a long-term plan by Fingal to improve amenities in the area. People need amenity areas as well as hospital beds, there's already more than enough of our tax money going to the health service as it is!

I am not sure if you have children or not but can I ask a question?

Which would you prefer, being able to have an extra place to go for a walk (which will probably be destroyed by all the gougers in the area) or being able to take one of your children to a hospital and not have to wait for days for them to get a bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Which would you prefer, being able to have an extra place to go for a walk (which will probably be destroyed by all the gougers in the area) or being able to take one of your children to a hospital and not have to wait for days for them to get a bed?

A place to nakker drink:o

I'd like to answer but it's off-topic so I'd get in trouble!
    I am not a huge fan of having the park put in as it disturbed so much wildlife that might take many many years to return, if ever. However, certain parts of that land were being used as an open tiphead and an area for guys to race (probably stolen) motorbikes in. So the choice really was see an extra park developed, or allow it to become an eyesore. I think I'd prefer the former.

I think the point was that throwing that money at the HSE might not have resulted in extra places.

But it certainly true that unless its policed, how useful would this be.

Still plenty of heavy machianery working down towards the finglas end of the park, probbly drainage related as that is the part that gets the worst floding.

I havn't been in the park and to be honest probbly won't but any time I drive past from what I can see no one is using it.

Anyone use it or see others in it?

It's not officially open yet, so the gates are locked at either end. People still climb over the wall and walk it, as I have myself a few times. It's a long way from being complete, needs a lot of new planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Number_5

I dont think its fair to put forward a choice like this. I think we would all take good health care for our children over anything else in the world - that doesn't mean that we put every penny we have into healthcare - there has to be balance. IMO, the biggest problem with our health service lies in the poor management & the many many inneficencies in the system. Sometimes the answer is not as simple as more money.

Agree with you that the park will only be useful if it's maintained and not wrecked over time.

• Advertisement

That area used to always attract toruble. Has it improved in recent years.

Dont recall any trouble in that particular area tbh other than guys tearing up & down on motorbikes, but it's quiet these days anyway.

Passed down by it yesterday and it looks like the gates are locked, I thought it was open ages ago.
    The machianery is gone from what I could see it looks like it is finished.
    So what's the story, never seen a soul in the place and although the gates looked locked it's easy to get into.

It's not open yet as there is more work to be completed, but it's easy to hop over the wall and walk down through it. It's not bad, but very bare still. There were some information signs that the council put up around the place and these have been completely vandalised already. Doesn't bode well for the future!

The lads with the mini moto's and scramblers from up the road Finglas side will be in there like a light.
    Could turn into a very dodgy spot unfortunately.

Advertisement