Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's rights in student accommodation

Options
  • 07-09-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Bit of a back-ground story - I live in student-built accommodation. 4 bed house, sharing with 3 other girls.

Got a knock on the door about twenty minutes ago informing us that an auctioneer would be here in half an hour to photograph the house, and could we give the place a 'quick tidy up'.

Surely half an hour's notice is a bit short? :confused: Needless to say the other housemates didn't agree with this, and basically did a runner into town for a few hours :pac:.

Now, I've tidied up my own bedroom, threw a few dirty plates into the sink and left it at that.

What I was wondering was, does the landlord have the right to come in and photograph the house without all the tenants present? Was he within his rights to give us a hurried warning before the auctioneer arrives?

TL/DR: Can a landlord and auctioneer photograph student house without proper notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

No they have to give you proper notice 24 hours min and even at that it is short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What sort of clean up did he expect in 30 mins. LOL.

I've have just said no, and asked could he reschedule it. Assuming it didn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BlueNemo wrote: »
    I live in student-built accommodation.
    Do you mean purpose-built student accommodation?

One important factor is whether you are tenant or licencees. Legally, many student apartment complexes, while configured as apartments / houses actually operate more like a hotel than a conventional rental. Hence they are strict on visitors and alcohol, have warden inspections, etc. If that is the case, an inspection probably isn't unreasonable. Photogrpahs would be quite unusual.

If it is a conventional rental, an inspection probably isn't unreasonable, provided at least 24 hours notice is given and that the timing suits. If the timing doesn't suit, 72 hours would be more reasonable. There would want to be a good reason for taking photos, e.g. there is a mantenance issue that needs addressing and photos are needed. Whole-room photos would likely be inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean purpose-built student accommodation?
    It's unlikely that an auctioneer would be coming to photograph some student halls. Especially given the state of most of them!

Anyway my experience as a student renting in both private and student villages is you tend to get treated like absolute crap by the landlords, particularly in the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Thanks for your advice guys, but in the end we never heard anymore about it!

Advertisement