Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Construction in Celbridge

Options
  • 07-09-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what they are building behind the rememberence graveyard and beside the colourtrend paint factory. It looks like it will have a road entrance near the traffic lights at tesco's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's a LIDL or ALDI. Not sure which.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Lidl going in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Must be a lidl as there's an aldi just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

It is Lidl. The plans were passed a while ago.
    On a personal level, I'm glad it is going up there. Was a bit of a pain to have to get the car to go all the way to Leixlip. Now I can walk saving money and the environment ;)

All that is now needed is a new bridge over the Liffey, a swimming pool and a cinema - strictly in this order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Yep Lidl

My personal feelings about building where it is are almost unprintable

Right on top of the Famine Graveyard , the workhouse , and of course another road coming onto the Maynooth Road just what we need....... NOT

Of course there is no where else they could put it !

Kildare County Council are obviously totally stupid/blind !

This is the same council that refused the Cinema because of traffic and suggested it should be in the centre of the village somewhere.

Heads up a*rses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pigck29

Italia wrote: »

All that is now needed is a new bridge over the Liffey, a swimming pool and a cinema - strictly in this order.

I want a swimming pool!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Site is of quite sizeable historic significance. Is a real pity to be honest. But it's all done now, yay for capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I can appreciate that the entrance is maybe situated in an unfortunate place, but I thought that only the area where the memorial is situated is significant.
    What is (or was) significant about the back? All I ever saw there was weeds and a delapidated building.
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Site is of quite sizeable historic significance. Is a real pity to be honest. But it's all done now, yay for capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Celbridge Life

I think you're right Italia, the Lidl shop wont be detrimental from the site where it is situated, I just hope it wont look to garish or detract from the memorial grounds. What's annoying a few people I've spoken with is that a Cinema was refused permission on exactly the same road albeit further up towards the link road. KCC cited 'traffic' issues as one of the main problems despite a 350 space car park included in the cinema plans. Yet when Mr lidl turns up it's 'yeah go ahead, beside the memorial grounds? no problem, 100 metres away from an already busy junction and an existing 24hr tescos? Sure, why not!' Something doesn't add up (unless of course certain envelopes do add up).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Italia wrote: »
    I can appreciate that the entrance is maybe situated in an unfortunate place, but I thought that only the area where the memorial is situated is significant.
    What is (or was) significant about the back? All I ever saw there was weeds and a delapidated building.

The site has never been researced, the problem is that no-one is sure what the significance of the area is, of course we all all know the paint factory was the workhouse and the site of the memorial is the site of the graveyard connected to the workhouse. The problem is that the graveyard site predates the famine and nobody has ever explored the real extent of the graveyard and the burials during the famine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I would guess if Lidl dug up any human remains they kept quiet about it. I don't think there is an archaeologist on site to oversee the excavations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Joe Public wrote: »
    I would guess if Lidl dug up any human remains they kept quiet about it. I don't think there is an archaeologist on site to oversee the excavations.

That is truly shocking , they are building next a known famine grave yard and a work house , and were not required to do a full archaeological survey !?

Is response to Italia , I have no idea what the significance is of that area , but it does not take a Professor of Archaeology to work out that are must have been used in some form or other , anyway it detracts from the area for sure . ( I also think what the paint company has built is pretty shocking too )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭RayCon

Opening Nov 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The proposed sign for the entrance to the new Lidl store on the Maynooth
    Rd has been refused. The proposed sign was to be 7m high and illuminated.

The main reasons are:-
    1) The proximity to the Workhouse Graveyard that is a listed heritage site
    2) Not in keeping with the Kildare County Development Plan 2011 that
    actively discourages such types of signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I drove into Celbridge at the weekend for the first time since moving jobs last year.

I saw where they're building and I have to say.. it looks poxy.

Advertisement