Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage thugs

Options
  • 07-09-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, Sorry if its wrong.

Just wondering what you would do :confused:

Today my sons bike was stolen while he was at training, He knows and so do other kids and parents know who took it. (he only has it 4 weeks, got it for his birthday :mad:)

We have being told to leave it and not approch the parents over it that they 'Are not to be messed with' one parent said.

Im just so annoyed that kids are ok to bring home a nearly new bike and the parents say nothing.

I know in the grand scheme of things it not important but im just P&ssed of that I work for the things I get for my son just for it to be taken like that.

Sorry for the rant :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would you not contact the Gardai?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 FiFiTeg

January wrote: »
    Would you not contact the Gardai?!

x 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

They know who owns the bike and know where we live!!

Garda knock on their door and then they come after my son for getting the garda involved :confused:

Would you risk that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Wait a while and break their windows some night, That way the thugs parents got to put their hands in their own pockets, Gardaí would have their hands tied on this, They cant just go there and ask for the bike back, If that family is as bad as people describe they will deny it anyway.

Just remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

charlemont wrote: »
    Wait a while and break their windows some night, That way the thugs parents got to put their hands in their own pockets,

Not something I would do.

• Advertisement

charlemont - constructive advice only, advocating violence will not be tolerated.

Justask wrote: »
    They know who owns the bike and know where we live!!

Garda knock on their door and then they come after my son for getting the garda involved :confused:

Would you risk that :confused:

Was there a serial number on the bike? Sometimes it's on the receipt, give it to the Garda, report the bike stolen and mention where it might be (I'm sure they're going to be riding it around, if you spot a Garda when you see it just tell them you think it's your bike).

I'd risk it, but only because I wouldn't want the little feckers to take the next thing my son gets that's new.

Was there a serial number on the bike? Sometimes it's on the receipt, give it to the Garda, report the bike stolen and mention where it might be (I'm sure they're going to be riding it around, if you spot a Garda when you see it just tell them you think it's your bike).

I'd risk it, but only because I wouldn't want the little feckers to take the next thing my son gets that's new.

Yea the receipt has the serial number.

Im on my own with my son and to be honest i'd be nervous about what they may do if the garda are involved. Im Just very very annoyed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Sorry to hear about this Justask.....
    One of my friends on FB lives in a rougher part of Galway and her lads bike was stolen while he was on it. He was only 9.:eek:

She's from the same (even rougher) area where we both grew up so drove down to the area where it was taken. She saw the bike, marched up, had some choice words and took it back....

Put it this way, they knew not to mess with her but this is not an option for everyone.

Looks like you may just have to go down the Garda route:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey OP, I know that its not easy when your a single mother but I'd still report this to the guards. If nothing else and they do nothing, its on record.

This may just be in my experience but I've found "rougher" familes are generally not too bad when it comes to kids stuff. I knew one family who I would be very nervous about but when one of their kids took a football on one of our neighbours, their dad came out and dragged the thief in by the scruff of the neck and gave the kid his ball back.

I know it may be a rough family but I would still do something. Doing nothing is basically waving a big flag saying "I don't complain when you take advantage"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

If you teach your son right from wrong & that actions have consequences then you have no choice but to report it to the gardai. You have to show your son that if a crime has been committed against him that he can go to the Gardai for help. I also agree with Redxiv' post.

Goodne wrote: »
    If you teach your son right from wrong & that actions have consequences then you have no choice but to report it to the gardai. You have to show your son that if a crime has been committed against him that he can go to the Gardai for help. I also agree with Redxiv' post.

My son is well aware of right and wrong and is also very aware that there are little thugs everywhere.

:)

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey OP, I know that its not easy when your a single mother but I'd still report this to the guards. If nothing else and they do nothing, its on record.

This may just be in my experience but I've found "rougher" familes are generally not too bad when it comes to kids stuff. I knew one family who I would be very nervous about but when one of their kids took a football on one of our neighbours, their dad came out and dragged the thief in by the scruff of the neck and gave the kid his ball back.

I know it may be a rough family but I would still do something. Doing nothing is basically waving a big flag saying "I don't complain when you take advantage"

Hi RedXIV, I gave a call into my local station and to let them know that my sons bike was taken and gave the area (not exact). Told them that im alone at home ande was not going to risk having my house my son my pets etc attacked because of reporting said brat. Thy said they understand and will have it on record .

I would not approach parents.

Im not a risk taker :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My younger brothers bike was stolen off him from some lads up the back of tallaght this is going back about 10 years now. So I jumped in the car and went off up after them. Found the little bollix cycling the bike on the opposite side of a fence but he seen me coming in the car. I pulled up jumped out and he dropped it an ran off with the other one. Ran after them but they hopped someones wall, amazingly this was one of the lads houses.

Rang the doorbell and told the Wagon that answered that there was 2 lads that hopped over her back wall.

"i dont know what your talking about"

"oh its like that then is it" "well you tell them two little cnuts" "if i catch them near my brother or the area again il string them up"

Never heard about it again and got the bike back.

These arseholes are chancers. Ring the guards and give them all the detail, you cant let idiots win other wise you'll be a walk over the rest of your life.

My son is well aware of right and wrong and is also very aware that there are little thugs everywhere.

:)
    sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that your son didn't just that to continue what you teach him you should follow through with the consequences of his bike being stolen & report it. I see from you next post that you did report it; I hope your son gets his bike back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NickiRose

Hi Justask. I really hope your son gets his bike back. I hate these people who get away with this abuse and use intimidation to frighten people, and they get away with it because they come for dis-advantaged families etc etc. Sick of it!!! Hope to hear things worked out for you and your son soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi RedXIV, I gave a call into my local station and to let them know that my sons bike was taken and gave the area (not exact). Told them that im alone at home ande was not going to risk having my house my son my pets etc attacked because of reporting said brat. Thy said they understand and will have it on record .

I would not approach parents.

Im not a risk taker :o

I totally understand and you will ultimately know best. And its very easy for me to preach away here as a 6ft4 ex bouncer about how you should deal with it :)

When I met my partner she was a single mother and I would have been far more hesitant to let her deal with something like this. But I like the odd scrap here and there :P

But as long as the guards know, that's the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

I'm glad you did report it Justask. The Guards mightn't get it back but for the reason in bold above, definitely the right decision.

Been on the receiving end of a bike been stolen myself and when I didnt get the guards involved, the same little blighters took its replacement as well.

These people wont stop unless they know there are consequences :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , that's really shocking.

I hope the Garda do call around and get that bike back , and the little sh*ts get prosecuted .

The little thugs need to learn right from wrong , it's obvious that their parents are not teaching them this .

As for your lad , if nothing happens , what will he now learn ?

Don't take the law into your own hands , but try to be brave and stand up to these bullies ! ( I know it's easier said than done from a key board far far away )

Good luck our thoughts are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Something similar happened to a friend of mine! Her sons bike was stolen and a few days later she was passed a young fella cycling it. She stops her car, goes over and says 'Fantastic, you found xxxx's bike and takes it and puts it in the boot of her car!' I thought it was quick thinking on her part. :)

• Advertisement

Hi Justask, I have been wondering did you ever get the bike back?

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi Justask, I have been wondering did you ever get the bike back?

No luck :(

He got a new one last week, I told him that if he earned money I would match it, He drove my family and friends mad :rolleyes:

ah I'm sorry you didn't get the bike back but I am delighted that your son got another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry to hear that.

Get a strong lock for the bike and just be more careful in future.

I can't outline what is the only "moral guidance" that the parents of these kids understand because I'll get an infraction.

Advertisement