Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What board (AMD) will support 1600Mhz ram

Options
  • 07-09-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Not sure about this but, by deafult most AMD mobos only support 1333Mhz max mem. I'm having few issues with this.

So, are there any AMD boards which will support 1600Mhz. For a decent price 60-80 euro.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

kahf1_02 wrote: »
    Not sure about this but, by deafult most AMD mobos only support 1333Mhz max mem. I'm having few issues with this.

So, are there any AMD boards which will support 1600Mhz. For a decent price 60-80 euro.

What problems are you having? Even if 1600 isn't supported you can just overclock the RAM using the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 markeymic

I need a new laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭kahf1_02

The problem is compatitbilty. The mobo will support 1800Mhz. When overclocked. I'm not overclocking though. The mobo is mid-range, there' will be voltage issues if I overclock.

Could you recommend any AM3 mobo, which supports 1600Mhz be default :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what type of motherboard do you have?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

markeymic wrote: »
    I need a new laptop

That's nice.
    kahf1_02 wrote: »
    The problem is compatitbilty. The mobo will support 1800Mhz. When overclocked. I'm not overclocking though. The mobo is mid-range, there' will be voltage issues if I overclock.

Not if you keep it modest and don't overvolt the CPU, which is where most of the extra heat and power issues come from. And you could also OC the mobo to a speed that can run the DDR3 at full speed but reduce the CPU multiplier so its not actually OCd much if at all ;)
    Could you recommend any AM3 mobo, which supports 1600Mhz be default :)

AFAIK no current-gen mobos natively support anything faster than 1333MHz - only the next-gen chipsets do it universally. Llano is the first (up to 1833MHz IIRC).

That said, some high-end mobos support XMP, but you usually have to do some digging in the mobo to switch it on and even then its not perfect. LGA1155 can be set to run fast DDR3 manually without OCing AFAIK, but again, only via BIOS tweaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭kahf1_02

Not if you keep it modest and don't overvolt the CPU, which is where most of the extra heat and power issues come from. And you could also OC the mobo to a speed that can run the DDR3 at full speed but reduce the CPU multiplier so its not actually OCd much if at all ;)

I would love to do this. But the mobo doesn't have options in the BIOS for overclocking. It's an ASUS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is it a Dell or HP? Any other desktop will have OC options hidden somewhere...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

At worst you can just pop in the 1600 RAM and have it run at 1333. The loss in performance won't even be noticable. Theres not much point buying a new mobo just for a kit of RAM.

Advertisement