Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it madness to buy our first home now??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

professore wrote: »
    Yes it's 100% true. As a rule of thumb, 2 kids make it uneconomic for one partner to work unless they are on megabucks OR an obliging granny to do it for free. And creches don't do 2 for the price of 1 deals.

Yeah I can see that 2 x 800 a month makes it pointless alright for the average family.One would be a decision, but your right no point at all going to work with 2 unless wife is on 50k+ a year.

Still cant believe the idiots in charge raised the starting age of school to 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Squall19 wrote: »
    I gave you 26 reasons on the previous page which you've conveniently chosen to ignore.

I saw that as well :)

He's probably an estate agent:p

That would be the only reason he could believe his bull****.Blind faith if I ever saw it.

Wages are going down and taxes, energy and everything else are only going up.

Doesn't take a genius to see that its going to be a few very hard years for ous normal people.

I guess Donalg hasn't been affected by the USC:D

Everyone has been affected by the USC and if that's all you have to moan about you must be doing alright some people have had a lot more cuts than the USC now in all fairness.

What bull are u referring to by the way. How is saying that if you can get a mortgage and find a house you like and can afford you should buy bull****?

I think telling someone not to buy because house prices are decreasing is bull**** as its a personal choice at the end of the day. Losing out on ur dream home because a few scaremongering begrudging f###### tell you that you will be screwed if you buy now seems like bull to me now.

You might prefer to rent but that doesn't mean its a better option for someone with the ability to get a mortgage. Its just the Irish way though always give out about those in a better position than yourself try bring em down cause its not fair they can get something you can't.

And the only bull round here its obviously coming from you. I must be an estate agent yet I don't know bout the USC that's either stupid or bull. By that argument you must be a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

donalg1 wrote: »
    Ha it was selling houses to people that couldnt afford the repayments that got us into this mess

For the most part, they could afford the repayments when they took out the mortgage. It was the paycuts, higher taxes/unemployment that made the mortgage impossible

Can you join the dot's and see that your argument that if they can afford the mortgage now they should then take out the mortgage is utter crap and fraught with risk given whats in store

Has anyone considered the risk of having a € mortgage when talk of € breakup is rife at the moment, or is Bertie's excuse "nobody told me" sufficient to discount this risk also

Villa05 wrote: »
    Ha it was selling houses to people that couldnt afford the repayments that got us into this mess

For the most part, they could afford the repayments when they took out the mortgage. It was the paycuts, higher taxes/unemployment that made the mortgage impossible

Can you join the dot's and see that your argument that if they can afford the mortgage now they should then take out the mortgage is utter crap and fraught with risk given whats in store

Has anyone considered the risk of having a € mortgage when talk of € breakup is rife at the moment, or is Bertie's excuse "nobody told me" sufficient to discount this risk also

Yeah I can join the dots thanks but granted most people could afford the mortgage when they took it out. My point is that banks lending criteria have been tightened immensely so that if those that now can't afford their mortgages had applied today instead of a couple of years ago they wouldn't get it now.

Those that can get mortgages are the ones in permanent positions with full job security so are pretty safe in the knowledge that they will be afford the mortgage comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

I think telling someone not to buy because house prices are decreasing is bull**** as its a personal choice at the end of the day.

Its a personal choice to throw money away;) OK:D

House prices are going down, you will spare money by renting.

THE END

btw your tone is very aggressive :pac:

• Advertisement

Squall19 wrote: »
    Its a personal choice to throw money away;) OK:D

House prices are going down, you will spare money by renting.

THE END

btw your tone is very aggressive :pac:

no its a personal choice to take out a mortgage, if you think thats throwing money away i assume you think renting is also throwing money away then.

Rent isnt exactly cheap at the minute either now dont forget, i know plenty of people paying rent that is equivalent to a lot of other peoples mortgage repayments.

I suppose the main difference between renting and paying a mortgage is that you actually have something to show for all that money spent on housing at the end of your life.

Oh and btw my tone follows your tone, if its possible to even have a tone in text:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And if you are willing to spend fifty thousand quid to own a year or two earlier, WHY?
    Maybe because in two years they'll be 23 years until retirement, and unable to get a 25 year mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

the_syco wrote: »
    Maybe because in two years they'll be 23 years until retirement, and unable to get a 25 year mortgage?

But the increased deposit and envisaged price drops should reduce the term required?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Surely then get a 20 year mortgage assuming the additional repayments < €50k.

Zamboni wrote: »

But the increased deposit and envisaged price drops should reduce the term required?

What about the envisaged interest rate increases and lower trs rates

• Advertisement

The interest rates will effect everybody not on a tracker even those on fixed term will eventually have to deal with them.
    I don't think the TRS being reduced will hold a candle to price drops.

The interest rates will effect everybody not on a tracker even those on fixed term will eventually have to deal with them.
    I don't think the TRS being reduced will hold a candle to price drops.

I mean interest rates will most likely be higher next year than now I didn't say anything about it not affecting everybody as this is obvious.

Trs on 200k at 25% is approximately 200 quid per month whereas at 15% its approximately 120 so 80 quid per month is a big difference IMHO and that's a guaranteed increase unlike the interest rates as this is speculation as is a decrease in this houses eventual purchase price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

This argument seems to have run its course, as the last two pages of posts are between posters who just aren't speaking each other's language!

Trs on 200k at 25% is approximately 200 quid per month whereas at 15% its approximately 120 so 80 quid per month is a big difference IMHO and that's a guaranteed increase unlike the interest rates as this is speculation as is a decrease in this houses eventual purchase price

You are comparing the cost of the differences in TRS drops.
    I am saying that this comparison will be insignificant in relation to the purchase price if property keeps falling i.e. if you are buying a house because you want to avail of TRS before it gets reduced, you are doing it wrong.

I mean interest rates will most likely be higher next year than now I didn't say anything about it not affecting everybody as this is obvious.

I can't believe you're just re-posting your garbage from yesterday when it's already been refuted several times, which you just ignore.

Seriously don't think the lift goes to the top floor here mate. Re-read the past 4 pages of this thread carefully.

You are comparing the cost of the differences in TRS drops.
    I am saying that this comparison will be insignificant in relation to the purchase price if property keeps falling i.e. if you are buying a house because you want to avail of TRS before it gets reduced, you are doing it wrong.

My point is the only guarantee is that trs rates will drop whereas there is no guarantee that the house the op is looking at currently will drop in price.

I can't believe you're just re-posting your garbage from yesterday when it's already been refuted several times, which you just ignore.

Seriously don't think the lift goes to the top floor here mate. Re-read the past 4 pages of this thread carefully.

Again you reply with nonsense that has nothing to do with the questions asked by the op. Just talking bull won't help the op so gtfo boinkmaster

Again you reply with nonsense that has nothing to do with the questions asked by the op. Just talking bull won't help the op so gtfo boinkmaster

How is it nonsense I used basic mathematics to prove you wrong, with illustrative figures. I also posted 26 reasons why property prices would decline further. You ignored this completely just dismissing them as 'speculative'.

Explain how things such as rising emigration or unemployment is speculative?

Go through each of these 26 reasons and contradict each one - go on:

A) Income taxes will rise substantially for everybody
    B) Significant Property taxes will be introduced for owners
    C) Significant Indirect tax increases- VAT/Excise
    D) Interest relief for investors will be further reduced from current 75%
    E) Rent Allowance will be decreased by some material percentage
    F) Personal Insolvencies will increase when the law is changed in their favour
    G) Continued downward wage pressures-or no pay increases at least till 2015
    H) As competition in Banking is reduced then mortgage margins will rise
    I) Emigration will continue by current and future potential homeowners
    J) NAMA releasing finished properties onto the market mopping up demand
    K) ECB raising interest rates to normal levels once Europe crises recovers, ie by 1%-3%
    L) Property owners/investors in tight financial straits will be forced to sell
    M) People realise that property in Ireland is still expensive vs other countries
    N) More builders are put into receivership and properties are sold at large discounts - don't forget there are 300,000 empty properties
    O) Rising fuel prices decrease disposable income and discourage commuting
    P) The Croke Park agreement falls apart and public sector pay falls
    Q) Unemployment rises and
    R) Loss of economic sovereignty
    T) Deflation or very low inflation causes debt to have to be repaid in full rather than inflated away at lenders expense.
    U) Stiffer regulation forces banks to provide mortgages with more caution
    V) Interbank lending to Irish Banks does not return to pre-crisis levels and the Banks have to price margins very conservatively-A given
    W) Building costs decline further as NERA is disbanded and new build houses can be profitably sold for less.
    X) Development land has plummeted so land costs can lead to further downward pressure on prices of future developments.
    Y) Commercial rents continue to decline and contagion negative pressures apply to residential rents leading to lower property asking prices
    Z) Contrarily the current booming birth rate will provide demand in 25 years time-for subsidised housing at the least

How is it nonsense I used basic mathematics to prove you wrong, with illustrative figures. I also posted 26 reasons why property prices would decline further. You ignored this completely just dismissing them as 'speculative'.

Explain how things such as rising emigration or unemployment is speculative?

Go through each of these 26 reasons and contradict each one - go on:

A) Income taxes will rise substantially for everybody
    B) Significant Property taxes will be introduced for owners
    C) Significant Indirect tax increases- VAT/Excise
    D) Interest relief for investors will be further reduced from current 75%
    E) Rent Allowance will be decreased by some material percentage
    F) Personal Insolvencies will increase when the law is changed in their favour
    G) Continued downward wage pressures-or no pay increases at least till 2015
    H) As competition in Banking is reduced then mortgage margins will rise
    I) Emigration will continue by current and future potential homeowners
    J) NAMA releasing finished properties onto the market mopping up demand
    K) ECB raising interest rates to normal levels once Europe crises recovers, ie by 1%-3%
    L) Property owners/investors in tight financial straits will be forced to sell
    M) People realise that property in Ireland is still expensive vs other countries
    N) More builders are put into receivership and properties are sold at large discounts - don't forget there are 300,000 empty properties
    O) Rising fuel prices decrease disposable income and discourage commuting
    P) The Croke Park agreement falls apart and public sector pay falls
    Q) Unemployment rises and
    R) Loss of economic sovereignty
    T) Deflation or very low inflation causes debt to have to be repaid in full rather than inflated away at lenders expense.
    U) Stiffer regulation forces banks to provide mortgages with more caution
    V) Interbank lending to Irish Banks does not return to pre-crisis levels and the Banks have to price margins very conservatively-A given
    W) Building costs decline further as NERA is disbanded and new build houses can be profitably sold for less.
    X) Development land has plummeted so land costs can lead to further downward pressure on prices of future developments.
    Y) Commercial rents continue to decline and contagion negative pressures apply to residential rents leading to lower property asking prices
    Z) Contrarily the current booming birth rate will provide demand in 25 years time-for subsidised housing at the least

I honestly can't be bothered boinkmaster I stopped taking you seriously when you resorted to giving abuse that to me shows a level of maturity that's not worth my while paying any attention to.

Tell me how many people will become unemployed by this time next year and how many people will have emigrated and if you get it right then ill accept its not speculative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fuff

What about if someone is buying somewhere small and buying it outright, ie no mortgage? Is it still a massive mistake to avoid paying rent the next few years if you're not saddled with a mortgage for the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

fuff wrote: »
    What about if someone is buying somewhere small and buying it outright, ie no mortgage? Is it still a massive mistake to avoid paying rent the next few years if you're not saddled with a mortgage for the property?

Depends by how much the prices fall. It's not AS massive a mistake certainly, but if the prices do go into another large decline, you might be better off saving the money, drawing the interest on that, waiting for prices to fall further, and then buying later

Like if prices fall by 40% from now, and you are spending 12 grand a year on rent, when you could have bought for 200 grand, you'd have saved considerable amounts of cash. But this would be all money that you own anyway, not as bad as taking a loan for something you can't ditch for 25 years without crystallising the loss. Just a poor investment rather than a millstone of debt, at worst.

I honestly can't be bothered boinkmaster I stopped taking you seriously when you resorted to giving abuse that to me shows a level of maturity that's not worth my while paying any attention to.

Tell me how many people will become unemployed by this time next year and how many people will have emigrated and if you get it right then ill accept its not speculative.

It's not that you can't be bothered it's because you cannot.

And did i give an estimate of quantities? No - just the simple fact that they are rising, yet you don't seem to accept this?

It's not that you can't be bothered it's because you cannot.

And did i give an estimate of quantities? No - just the simple fact that they are rising, yet you don't seem to accept this?

Yeah they are rising now but you can only speculate that they will continue to rise for the next few years, that's the point you keep missing or ignoring.

And it is because I'm not bothered I could edit your points for you by putting maybe or this could happen but who knows if it will and I could do that after about 24 points and it would apply perfectly as the majorityare speculation.

Next you will be advising people not to buy a house as a meteor could hit it and then you'd be screwed.(could happen but who knows)

Yeah they are rising now but you can only speculate that they will continue to rise for the next few years, that's the point you keep missing or ignoring.

And it is because I'm not bothered I could edit your points for you by putting maybe or this could happen but who knows if it will and I could do that after about 24 points and it would apply perfectly as the majorityare speculation.

Next you will be advising people not to buy a house as a meteor could hit it and then you'd be screwed.(could happen but who knows)

You're a 'tard.

/ thread

You're a 'tard.

/ thread

Again with the abuse good lad yourself, see my above post relating to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

fuff wrote: »

I still see that as a mistake. Perhaps not as grave a mistake as saddling yourself to the hilt with a mortgage but a mistake nonetheless. Even assuming you will be dwelling in the property for a long time to come there is an is an opportunity cost attached to the notional price drop if one is to assume the price of such properties will drop more per annum than the annual rent over the next few years.

I don't particularly see how the size of the property is of any major significance in the debate. Certainly on the face of it, I think its fair to assume that the annual rent is going to be relative to the size and location of the property anyway, regardless of how out of whack rent yields are. It follows on that the balance of probability dictates that although you may not loose as much in monetary terms the likelyhood is you will loose as much in percentage terms. Also if buying a smaller property I would advise that you think well ahead. Having kids for example might be an absolute no no at the moment and you may not envisage changing your mind on this. However, your outlook can quickly change, biological clock ticking and whatnot.

Also I reckon that in general that those in such a position and who are savvy enough to have saved from earnings up until now and who would be in a position to buy outright or with a small loan will be savvy enough to see that house prices are only going south for the foreseeable future, hence will hold off. May well be a different matter if savings are derived from lottery winnings, inheritance or other such windfalls

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You're a 'tard.

/ thread

1 day ban for low level personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

As I mentioned before, the Irish GDP is currently funded by export of Pharmaceutical products... Just do some research and see that this is the "only" industry currently keeping Ireland afloat. Of course there is some IT companies like Intel/hp etc also contributing to this.

Then also do your research and see the Pfizer bought Wyeth, Merck and Schering Plough merged...prob the 4 largest companies in Ireland becoming 2. These companies are all in the process of downsizing. Also as I mentioned these companies have not had major new drugs on the market in recent years. Their patents will soon be up which will mean any Indian or Chinese company can produce these drugs for 4 times cheaper then in Ireland!!!

I am an unemployed Chemist and hell if I cannot find a job in the one thing which is heavily invested in Ireland with these Research/Technology/Pharma companies they keep talking about in the news...then I know there is a major storm ahead. My parents were talking to a guy the other week who had a PhD in Nanotechnology...and he was working in a coffee shop and selling up because even he couldnt find a job (remember the one area that Ireland is investing in)!!!!

Quite frankly Australia or Canada is looking much more appealing. Who is going to be left in Ireland to work in the Pharma or IT industry???

I would consider myself the average Irish person...good university qualification, at the age to be looking for property. However why should I spend my life paying taxes for other peoples mistakes when I have such a good education that means I can make it anywhere in the World??? Many Irish people must think the same, many young Irish people must think...to hell with this!!! Already all my cousins below the age of 30 have left for US, Canada and Australia...they wont be buying anything on the Irish property market. It's quite easy for us to just walk away and leave...why?
    Ireland is sinking

I can assure you that this is the reality...and it is the reality of many Irish people under the age of 30. The only speculation involved is that it "might" get better...the reality is that it is not getting better or easier unless you decide to get out of the Irish sinking ship

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

You're a 'tard.

/ thread

It's funny how one post can ruin the credibility of your previous well thought out posts. Then again, I don't know your age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

It's funny how one post can ruin the credibility of your previous well thought out posts. Then again, I don't know your age.

It's also funny how nobody was able to contradict one of the 26 A-Z points that Theboinkmaster posted.

Advertisement