Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it madness to buy our first home now??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

donalg1 wrote: »
    No matter what I show you you will still come back with the above bull. Oh its not in Dublin so nobody will live there!!!!! Whatever its a bargain end of story booooo ya

then post a link and let others here decide. You won't because you lied. This is my last post on the matter. Either you provide a link or your lying and no value exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

clearly...

Please reread my post - i was only giving my experience. I did not state anywhere in my post that this was the case for everyone.

Please reread mine. I never said you did.

Thought I would post some stuff about it. This is from the Daily Mail (Yes I know, I know).
    They found those whose families moved were more likely to perform badly in school and have behavioural problems. The disruption also led to them being less happy in later life, have fewer friends and even die younger. The problems were greater among those who are naturally shyer. The researchers tested the relationship between the number of childhood moves and well being in a sample of 7,108 adults, who were followed for ten years. Dr Shigehiro Oishi, a psychology professor at the University of Virginia, who led the study, said: 'Moving a lot makes it difficult for people to maintain long-term close relationships. 'Previously the long-term effects of moving during childhood on well-being in adulthood have been overlooked by researchers.' The study found that the more times a child moved, the more likely they were to report lower life satisfaction and well-being, irrespective of age, gender and education.

This is from Trauma and Loss Journal 2003
    Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in children can also be triggered by a traumatic move. A key component involved may indeed be a feeling of powerlessness, and an absence of a sense of safety. (Steele and Raider 2002). When families must move because of a traumatic situation, the adults often are ill equipped to respond to the child’s emotional needs. Oftentimes, parents underestimate their children’s feelings (Bruce, 2003). Leonard Jason, psychology professor at De Paul University, states, “Most parents are pretty insensitive. They don’t understand the child’s point of view.” Because the parents may be undergoing their own stress related to the move, many issues evolve; the child may feel powerless, alone, fearful, angry and afraid to ask for help, or share their feelings, for fear of worrying the adults in their lives even more. If they see their parents crying, arguing, or simply stressing over the basic inconveniences associated with moving, they may interpret their parent’s behavior as being their fault. This is especially true with younger children.

And this is an excerpt from a research paper from Princton which sumarises a lot of the research:
    Numerous studies have examined the consequences of moving during childhood on
    educational attainment and achievement, occupational attainment, and family formation in the early adult years (Astone and McLanahan 1994; Coleman 1988; Hagan, MacMillan, and Wheaton 1996; Haveman, Wolfe, and Spaulding 1991; Pribesh and Downey 1999; Teachman, Paasch, and Carver 1996, 1997; Tucker, Marx, and Long 1998). In summary, these studies have reached several conclusions: (1) moving frequently during childhood is associated with higher rates of high school dropout and decreased occupational attainment during the early adult years, (2) residential mobility is associated with an increased probability of behavioral problems and has a detrimental effect on children’s progress in school, and (3) the effects of residential mobility are very sensitive to model specification and the inclusion of controls for family stability, poverty,and other risk factors that are associated with both residential instability and poor outcomes later
    in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

For the record my own personal opinion is that the majority of houses are still overpriced given

* number of cuts will be required in the next couple of budgets to close the deficit which will impact on take home pay
    * Banks lending less and having stricter criteria to get a loan
    * mortgage interest relief is being phased out
    * high level of unemployment in the country.

certainly there may be the odd bargain to be found but Donal has yet to prove they exist and I've not seen any so far (based on asking price some selling prices may actually be considered a bargain but we've no way of knowing the selling price of places)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's about children moving due to trauma. Wth has that got to do with children moving because their parents have bought a new house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No matter what I show you you will still come back with the above bull. Oh its not in Dublin so nobody will live there!!!!! Whatever its a bargain end of story booooo ya

then post a link and let others here decide. You won't because you lied. This is my last post on the matter. Either you provide a link or your lying and no value exists.

Seriously really seriously!!!! I gave you the estate agent. Tell u wat give me ur address ill call over and type it into ur PC for ya. So shut up saying I lied and learn to read genius. Hopefully it is ur last post cause u know nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

<- Donal a reminder of what you've said... do you accept that your post is false and you were basically lying and no such place exists?

It's true. I read in some newspaper and news website about it. Buy one get one free. 3 sets, one for 100k amd other two for 120k.

Don't look at listed prices. Most EA have to put them. They will say them selfs about it's sctual lower price. The current house I got deposit down, was droped 33% of it's original price. Every single property I checked was lower priced then listed.

There are bargains. If you just flip in daft.ie then moan that there are no bargains, then you are doing it wrong. Those who actuolly buying property now can tel you different story.

iguana wrote: »
    That's about children moving due to trauma. Wth has that got to do with children moving because their parents have bought a new house?

I posted initially in response to frequent moving in rented accomodation rather than moving due to buying a home which I would assume (but cannot back up) is less traumatic. The second one only was about a traumatic reason to move (eg eviction). The other 2 refer to moving in general. Please feel free to ignore the second one if you wish and have this one instead:

Facts for Families (1999) indicate that studies show that, “children who move frequently are more likely to have problems at school.” The Orlando Sentinel, reports that “Students who change schools often are more likely to fall behind in reading, because they miss lessons in the march from school to school.” They further indicate that, “As many as one in three students in Central Florida switches schools during the year,” according to the most recent data available. (January 8, 2003). Florida is not alone in statistics such as these. Greg Lindberg, who compiled the data involving schools states, “What does seem to be quite clear is that moving really negatively affects the attendance, which profoundly affects the test scores

<- Donal a reminder of what you've said... do you accept that your post is false and you were basically lying and no such place exists?

It's true. I read in some newspaper and news website about it. Buy one get one free. 3 sets, one for 100k amd other two for 120k.

Don't look at listed prices. Most EA have to put them. They will say them selfs about it's sctual lower price. The current house I got deposit down, was droped 33% of it's original price. Every single property I checked was lower priced then listed.

There are bargains. If you just flip in daft.ie then moan that there are no bargains, then you are doing it wrong. Those who actuolly buying property now can tel you different story.

So now you admit there are bargains seriously make up your mind

donalg claimed those house are in Kilkenny. They aren't, they are in the arsé end of Donegal. And under no circumstances will high density, titchy 3 bed-semis, with shoebox sized gardens in rural Donegal be worth €50k long-term. They are most certainly not bargains under any definition of the word bargain.

Decent sized, well built 3 bed semis, with good gardens on mature estates in a good area of Kilkenny city for €50k may qualify as bargains.

donalg claimed those house are in Kilkenny. They aren't, they are in the arsé end of Donegal. And under no circumstances will high density, titchy 3 bed-semis, with shoebox sized gardens in rural Donegal be worth €50k long-term. They are most certainly not bargains under any definition of the word bargain.

Decent sized, well built 3 bed semis, with good gardens on mature estates in a good area of Kilkenny city for €50k may qualify as bargains.

So a 3 bed semi d for 50k isn't a bargain then regardless of location

• Advertisement

huh? i said that there are bargians.... and i admited it again..... what are you on about?

i could not remember the place where those houses were, but ty for telling where. i told about the actuoll thing, that it is real. buy one get one free... sorry if i missleaded someone and thank you for correction.

beeno67 wrote: »
    I posted initially in response to frequent moving in rented accomodation rather than moving due to buying a home which I would assume (but cannot back up) is less traumatic. The second one only was about a traumatic reason to move (eg eviction). The other 2 refer to moving in general. Please feel free to ignore the second one if you wish and have this one instead:

Facts for Families (1999) indicate that studies show that, “children who move frequently are more likely to have problems at school.” The Orlando Sentinel, reports that “Students who change schools often are more likely to fall behind in reading, because they miss lessons in the march from school to school.” They further indicate that, “As many as one in three students in Central Florida switches schools during the year,” according to the most recent data available. (January 8, 2003). Florida is not alone in statistics such as these. Greg Lindberg, who compiled the data involving schools states, “What does seem to be quite clear is that moving really negatively affects the attendance, which profoundly affects the test scores

None of what you are quoting comes anywhere near the "general medical opinion" you originally claimed. Nor does it in anyway equate with the fact that smoking poisonous chemicals can increase your odds of getting cancer, which you also tried to liken your claims to. And every single "point" made in the articles you quote have to do with bad parenting during moves, not moves.

I went to 3 different primary schools yet at age 7, in my third school, tested as having advanced adult literacy. Why? Obviously, in part, it was down to natural ability but largely it was down to my parents. They made moving fun, they encouraged me to see all of the positive aspects of the move. They didn't sugar coat the negatives but they never undermined me or talked down to me, instead ensuring I understood the realities of house moving.

So a 3 bed semi d for 50k isn't a bargain then regardless of location

No of course it bloody well isn't. If it was the ones in Moyross would have been snapped up by canny investors.:rolleyes:

And I can assure you that the ones in Moyross are all significantly better builds than the new build in Milford, Donegal.

huh? i said that there are bargians.... and i admited it again..... what are you on about?

i could not remember the place where those houses were, but ty for telling where. i told about the actuoll thing, that it is real. buy one get one free... sorry if i missleaded someone and thank you for correction.

Sorry I had sent that by mistake your post was spot on

Sorry again shadow

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

... i know 99% of people here are pro haters .... dole huggers ...
    No name calling please.

Is it better to buy a house now or hold significant quantities of cash? Lets say you had 130k of savings, would it be safer to buy a house now with it and have that, or hold on to it in cash and run the risk of it being wiped out/devalued when ireland defaults?

None of what you are quoting comes anywhere near the "general medical opinion" you originally claimed. Nor does it in anyway equate with the fact that smoking poisonous chemicals can increase your odds of getting cancer, which you also tried to liken your claims to. And every single "point" made in the articles you quote have to do with bad parenting during moves, not moves.

I went to 3 different primary schools yet at age 7, in my third school, tested as having advanced adult literacy. Why? Obviously, in part, it was down to natural ability but largely it was down to my parents. They made moving fun, they encouraged me to see all of the positive aspects of the move. They didn't sugar coat the negatives but they never undermined me or talked down to me, instead ensuring I understood the realities of house moving.

I quoted 4 different articles which cited 11 pieces of research that back my point. One of them referred to stressed patents the rest did not refer to bad parenting You have the personal experience of 1 person- yourself. How many articles do you want me to cite?

How about my experience dealing with children? Would that have any bearing?

By the way you only moved 3 times in your childhood which would be relatively stable for someone renting

Do you honestly believe in general it makes no difference if a child moves say 6 times from rented accommodation to rented accommodation or is stable in the same home for the entire length of their childhood. Sure there are good and bad parents in all walks of life renting or owning but in general you really believe it makes no difference? I find that astounding. Genuinely astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Is it better to buy a house now or hold significant quantities of cash? Lets say you had 130k of savings, would it be safer to buy a house now with it and have that, or hold on to it in cash and run the risk of it being wiped out/devalued when ireland defaults?

Open an account with a German bank and put most of the money there?

Victor wrote: »
    No name calling please.

In all due respect it wasn't name calling or attack against Amy member of boards.ie.

I don't agree with this warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

In all due respect it wasn't name calling or attack against Amy member of boards.ie.

I don't agree with this warning.

Eh, you claimed that ".99% of people here are pro haters .... dole huggers ..."

Such a ridiculous and clueless generalisation. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Eh, you claimed that ".99% of people here are pro haters .... dole huggers ..."

Such a ridiculous and clueless generalisation. :rolleyes:

Excuse me? Haters for buying, I presume people understand if I say heaters I thread where we talk about buying property. Thread already was going with 90% of people against a few who try to defend theyr view on buying now. I really cant see it look sooo offensive too.

If you look at my post I did not called 99% people dole huggers.

Did you atleast read my post or just took it out of context?

99% was more of figurative speech, amd I really did not knew that someone will take it so seriously. If that really really offended someone, then my apologise.

I still see it overreacting by a mod. We are not 5 years to take figurative speak for real thing. Once again, my apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Open an account with a German bank and put most of the money there?

Wouldn't you have to be resident there?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

mathie wrote: »
    Wouldn't you have to be resident there?
    Yes, you're right. It's not quite as simple as he suggests.
    There are a couple of online banks domiciled abroad though that will take deposits from Irish residents. Eg. Keytrade. - This is domiciled in Belgium though, which is a country that is also in quite dangerous shape and just one step behind the PIGS.

Anyway, there's a good chance if the Euro goes completely wallop, that it won't matter too much in which country your money is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If its cash, you can diversify your assets. If its in euros, there isn't much of a risk, unless it is a guaranteed bank that goes bang.

If its in property, its a property you will always have, but make sure you have insurance.

Can we stick to the topic and not the euro?

ravendude wrote: »
    Yes, you're right. It's not quite as simple as he suggests.
    There are a couple of online banks domiciled abroad though that will take deposits from Irish residents. Eg. Keytrade. - This is domiciled in Belgium though, which is a country that is also in quite dangerous shape and just one step behind the PIGS.

Anyway, there's a good chance if the Euro goes completely wallop, that it won't matter too much in which country your money is in.

And therefore better to use your cash to buy a house that cant be taken from you. Once you get yourself a bargain of couse, which there are a few of in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

And therefore better to use your cash to buy a house that cant be taken from you. Once you get yourself a bargain of couse, which there are a few of in the market.

Provided you buy said house with 100% cash!!

Again the "bargain" part is objective and has already been discussed. I am not getting into the debate again. "Bargain" compared to 2007 prices..."not a bargain" since house prices are heading towards 1995 figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Some savings accounts are offering up to 5% even after dirt you would be left with up to 5k a year in interest.

450 euro a month would cover most of the rent on a decent house, so why buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I really hope no one was stupid enough to buy recently...

WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576585954218749690.html

A lot worse to come....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Squall19 wrote: »
    Some savings accounts are offering up to 5% even after dirt you would be left with up to 5k a year in interest.

450 euro a month would cover most of the rent on a decent house, so why buy?

Sorry to continue of the point but where can I get 5% after dirt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Sorry to continue of the point but where can I get 5% after dirt?

Zimbabwe offers 5% ;-)

Advertisement