Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 07-09-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Good evening folks.

Need a bit of help on this one. Here's the story:
    I got a phone call 2 hours ago from a woman in a recruitment agency in Cork city. She offered me a job with a company based in the Airport Business Park. I need to go down to Cork for an induction tomorrow at 2 PM. The job itself starts on Monday morning 12th September.

I don't have a car and will be walking or getting buses.

As you can see, the notice is very short and I need help with a few things.

1. Accommodation. Where is the best place to live, relative to the Airport Business Park? How much will it cost, rent, deposit, etc. and how far of a walk is it?

2. Does anyone know of accommodation that one could move into on such short notice?

3. Transport. The 226 bus goes from the bus station to the airport. Does this actually stop somewhere along the way? The timetable suggests that it doesn't.

4. There doesn't seem to be any shopping centres (Tesco, Dunnes, etc.) near the airport. Is this correct?

5. What is the overall cost of living per week in Cork city roughly?

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

well if you dont have a car best bet is city center and get the airport buses.

if u get sorted with a car in a few months then wilton, douglas frankfield are a stones throw away.

i live in wilton which is close to city center and rent is on average 280/300 euro per month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As a temp. measure you could stay in Shielas Hostel On Summerhill North,(well run) from there its a 6/7 mn, walk to the bus station & city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

1. Accommodation. Where is the best place to live, relative to the Airport Business Park? How much will it cost, rent, deposit, etc. and how far of a walk is it?
    There really is no where within walking distance that you would live. The airport is only minutes in the car from Frankfield / Grange area but would nt be great for walking from. Cycling maybe though .

4. There doesn't seem to be any shopping centres (Tesco, Dunnes, etc.) near the airport. Is this correct?

The airport is out on its own on the outskirts of the City. no housing estates near by . There are Dunnes and Tescos Super valu etc all within minutes of it, but in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,my advice would be to check out Google Earth to actually see your way around the airport business park and the road into the city centre.

The airport is about 2/3 miles from the city centre.
    Nearest places to airport are Frankfield,Grange,Wilton and Togher(pronounced Toaker) check out places on Daft.ie

In the short term there are B+B's next to where you will be working and no doubt you will get plenty information from your new workmates when you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Thanks a million folks for your replies on this one. I was thinking city centre and getting buses for a while.

I will be getting a car in a few weeks and was considering Douglas then, but I wanted to throw it out here to see what people in the know would advise.

Hadn't actually realised just how far away the Airport business park was until I had a look at Google maps! :eek:

Your information here folks is invaluable and I'm very grateful for the speedy responses. Thanks a million. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement