Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extractor fan wiring

• 07-09-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My bathroom needs an extractor fan fitted. I have a basic one not timed and no pull cord etc,just a live/neutral connection. My question is this,can i connect this to the electric shower isolator switch?????. This would mean the fan comes on when the isolator switch is on which is what i would be happy enough with. I'm not sure though as this is a 40amp cable to the shower. Would this cause the fan to blow when the shower is on????. The only other option is to connect to the light circuit,or is it???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

No way, fan will run but you will kill yourself if you touch the live.

Run it from the lighting ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

I have mine connected to the light switch so when I turn on the light the fan comes on too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

A sparks will be able to wire it up that is comes on with your light or if you wish, you can have a seperate switch to turn the fan on independently whenever you want. Also, you should get an isolator switch put on the fan if there isn't one there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you could wire your current fan trough a double pole switch, which will allow you to control when its on. however the switch would have to be located out of the bathroom zone or on a pullcord if installed inside the bathroom.
    plus im pretty sure the regs now say bathroom electrics should be on their own rcbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

you could wire your current fan trough a double pole switch, which will allow you to control when its on. however the switch would have to be located out of the bathroom zone or on a pullcord if installed inside the bathroom.
    plus im pretty sure the regs now say bathroom electrics should be on their own rcbo.

That is true. They do indeed go on their own RCBO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement