Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Regulations

• 07-09-2011 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Currently planning my van conversion and I have most things sorted. That's 'sorted until I start building it and I find out all the stuff that I don't know'.

One thing I haven't been able to find out is what's the gas installation requirements?

I understand that it needs to be done by a qualified person.

What I want to know is does the bottle need to be in a special enclosure, venting, shut-off valves, copper tubing vs rubber, etc.

This sort of info is important for my micro-camper that I'm building, where space is a premium.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

all piping and fittings to be metal , I use steel same as the OE european factory campers , the only flexible allowed is from the bottle top to the wall , no more than about 2 feet IIRC . The bottle should be in a enclosure sealed from the interior of the van , and vented to outside . Not sure if that's the regulation , but it's only common sense. Also in any decent build , you'll see all the units have a separate cut-off valve on the gas pipe . Normally all together , on a common manifold.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

As far as I am aware the bottle must be kept in an enclosed case with a perminent vent that is fixed open. All concelled pipe work must be soldered fittings and have brackets every 1.2metres. There should also be an isolation valve at each appliance. Any visible pipe work can be connected using push fittings but I wouldnt recommend it. Check IS 813 gas domestic installation standards. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions as I have a friend doing the same with his van also I am a qualified gas fitter so I have a good knowledge of the subject. hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Campers don't need soldered joints , NONE of the factory built ones are , they all use ones with olives . Most of them are GOK ones , with all high grade steel . They are really strong and never leak if tightened correctly , even with a dry fit .

Advertisement