Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A really dangerous junction in Drogheda

Options
  • 07-09-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I have noticed some really close calls at the junction of the Cement Road, Old Slane Road and N51 (where Aldi in Mell is). I watched in horror today as a large truck had to brake hard while heading for town, to avoid a car turning right into the Loughboy filling station. I live down the Old Slane Road and use this road every day....I have seen some unbelievable stuff here over the years.

This junction is in dire need of traffic lights. Does anyone else agree?

By the way I did speak to somebody in the corporation a while back and they said they have no money for projects like this! Will it take a fatality to change their minds?

Thanks.

Oh and the junction I'm talking about is here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

yup, it is lethal alright, i go to teagasc down that road... sometimes i am amazed at how no one is killed there, should really be a round about there me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I agree as I take this every evening. Since the M1 business park and Lidl opened this road has become very busy. I would say though that drivers heading towards Mell need to take accountabiliy and pay more attention to their driving. I have on a few occassions braced myself for a rear impact on looking in the rear view mirror with drivers swerving around me at the last minute as they've not noticed me stopped with indicators blinking and rear lights on. The Loughboy fuel place is also a pain with drivers sticking there fronts out onto the Slane Road. / I feel better now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Nothing a roundabout or 2 wouldn't solve. And thats gotta be a lot cheaper than putting in lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

There are some seriously bad junctions in this town. One that springs to mind and its where ive come close to most collisions, is the junction at Dolans pub and sundays gate. The amount of traffic that passes here is unreal, and most drivers have no idea who has right of way and blaze through as if everyone should be watching them. Ive nearly been rear ended, side swipped and full on side collision at this junction.

Here.

http://g.co/maps/h5pfy

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

While we're pointing out dangerous junctions, I think the one down at the bottom of greenhills is pretty bad as is the one at the bottom of the rathmullen road at the bridge of peace there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

gebbel wrote: »
    I have noticed some really close calls at the junction of the Cement Road, Old Slane Road and N51 (where Aldi in Mell is). I watched in horror today as a large truck had to brake hard while heading for town, to avoid a car turning right into the Loughboy filling station. I live down the Old Slane Road and use this road every day....I have seen some unbelievable stuff here over the years.

By the way I did speak to somebody in the corporation a while back and they said they have no money for projects like this! Will it take a fatality to change their minds?

Thanks.

This junction has been dangerous like this for years!!
    I should know, I spent half my teenage years thumbing lifts out the Slane rd!
    Fair enough there might be heavier traffic these days but more traffic lights is NOT what Drogheda needs!!! :mad:
    A roundabout and possibly some decent runble strips to slow down traffic coming from the Tullyallen direction, over the hill would be a better option?!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I agree:

Having direct experience...

1. Mell Road (I referred to this road on the thread about the Tolls) is lethal.

2. Greenhills is mad also, even more so when the school rush is on twice a day - absolute mayhem!

Does anybody know if there are any plans afoot in relation to lights or roundabouts on either junction?

The residents of Mell received letters last year trumpeting traffic calming measures on the road, all that transpired was the traffic speed thingy...like wow, that's made a big difference... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The residents of Mell received letters last year trumpeting traffic calming measures on the road, all that transpired was the traffic speed thingy...like wow, that's made a big difference...

I've a record I'm trying to beat on that thing.
    So yeah, it's pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

gebbel wrote: »

Thanks.

I think traffic lights there would be far more important than at the bottom of Patrick st! The way traffic builds up on Georges st allowed for traffic northwards to get out, and traffic heading south would usually be better off going down Fair st. instead. But such is where they installed one of their more recent "improvements".

Because there's Aldi in the area, a school being built, residential areas nearby along with fast moving traffic I think there would be better use for signal lights than a roundabout, this time. In principle Drogheda has far too many lights though!

Speaking of dangerous junctions in Drogheda;

315727_214127315315471_122674161127454_608670_2014548851_n.jpg

RTE wrote:
    A 27-year woman has been killed in a three-car collision near Drogheda in Co Louth.

The accident happened at approximately 10.20am on the Termonfeckin Road.

The woman who died was a rear-seat passenger in one of the cars.

A number of other people were injured, though gardaí say their injuries are not serious.

The Drogheda/Clogherhead Rd (R116) was closed from Beaulieu Cross to Termonfeckin for a technical examination.

Witnesses are asked to contact Drogheda Garda Station on 041-9874200, the Garda Confidential Line 1-800-666-111 or any Garda Station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement