Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with grandparents.

• 07-09-2011 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Quick question, I moved in with my grandparents last December, and I applied for a grant and put what they earn in the application, I dont talk to my parents and even if they had the money to put me through college they probably wouldnt. Is there any set date when you have to move out of your parents house to be means tested under someone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Quick question, I moved in with my grandparents last December, and I applied for a grant and put what they earn in the application, I dont talk to my parents and even if they had the money to put me through college they probably wouldnt. Is there any set date when you have to move out of your parents house to be means tested under someone else?

You have to be over 23 and be living independently in October of the previous year ie October last year.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Ok basically it doesnt matter at all that you dont talk to your parents its still needs to be means tested. You will need to show a bill or bank statement showing you at your grandparents address. What if you dont have this??

If this is the case the you need to find a public figure who will vouch that you life there priest, gardai etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

tipp1986 wrote: »
    Ok basically it doesnt matter at all that you dont talk to your parents its still needs to be means tested. You will need to show a bill or bank statement showing you at your grandparents address. What if you dont have this??

If this is the case the you need to find a public figure who will vouch that you life there priest, gardai etc....
    if the persons is related to the house he/she stays at and is not paying rent, does that not have an impact on your application, i do know that people staying in houses belonging to relatives can be turned down for rent supplement, so what is the story for this person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

goat2 wrote: »
    if the persons is related to the house he/she stays at and is not paying rent, does that not have an impact on your application, i do know that people staying in houses belonging to relatives can be turned down for rent supplement, so what is the story for this person

This is by no means certain. It depends on the earning of the people in the house if grandparents are on pension then id say its ok. If not its an issue id imagine.

Advertisement