Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis around Dublin Airport?

Options
  • 07-09-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I have an morning flight (9am) and it's going to be long day for me, so I thought maybe instead waking up at 4 in the morning and driving from Mayo and paying for airport parking for few days, I'll arrive to the airport day earlier by the bus, and stay on some bnb.
    I found one, but website says it's 4km from the airport (just near Swords).
    How much roughly is it going to cost me to take a taxi on late evening (about 11pm) from airport to Swords, and then again next morning from Swords to the Airport?

I never used any taxi around Dublin area so I have no clue about prices.

Are taxis waiting somewhere on the airport, or you have to call to get one?

Any info appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

most taxis won't take such a short fare because its less than 10euro. wnkers, although by law they have to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

try this
    http://www.dublin-airport-hotels.ie/
    €120 for 1night including weeks parking
    walk to airport or free shuttle bus

or €75 per night
    plus park€7 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

3 points

1,Taxis are the same price in Dublin as in Mayo,or any other place in the Rep of Ireland.
    2.Get a taxi in departures,NOT arrivals,will cost less than a tenner.
    3.Walk out of B&B,hail the 1st taxi that drives towards you,you wont have to wait more than a 2 minute's,will cost less than a tenner to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

meercat wrote: »
    try this
    http://www.dublin-airport-hotels.ie/
    €120 for 1night including weeks parking
    walk to airport or free shuttle bus

or €75 per night
    plus park€7 per day

Both way too expensive.
    Bnb won't cost me more than 30 for the night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Around a tenner for a taxi to the airport from Swords. And you can get the owner of the B&B to order one for you or give you the number of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

3 points

1,Taxis are the same price in Dublin as in Mayo,or any other place in the Rep of Ireland.
    OK. But I have actually no clue how much taxis cost in Mayo.
    The nearest town from my where there are any taxis is over 50km away.

2.Get a taxi in departures,NOT arrivals,will cost less than a tenner.
    3.Walk out of B&B,hail the 1st taxi that drives towards you,you wont have to wait more than a 2 minute's,will cost less than a tenner to the airport.

Less then a tenner looks allright.
    I'm not so sure about catching one on the street though, as this bnb is not exactly in Swords town.

Thanks for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rainbowraver

how bout this place .. The White House it does park an fly .. they will give you a lift to the airport for free an pick up .. i think its only €5 a night parkin an they have b+b

http://www.stayandfly.ie/airport/dublin/hotel/the_white_house_park_and_fly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Taxi to and from Swords should be about a tenner, unless the B&B is in one of the large sprawling and poorly lit housing estates in the area. If the taxi driver is not familiar with the area, and he has to drive around a bunch of identical looking streets trying to find your street, that could complicate matters & jack up the price.

Agree with the poster who suggested that you ask the B&B owner for the name of a reputable and reliable taxi company. If the B&B is in Swords, odds are you are not the first person to stay there due to its proximity to the airport. They will probably have a list of taxi firms who know where they are, and who can be relied on to show up on time to get you to the airport without any drama. Try and make your booking a few days in advance if you can. Call the day before to confirm it. In the past, I have left it until the night before I was flying to call and book a taxi for a 9am flight. Was told that they were fully booked out with taking people to work at the airport. Unpleasant mad scramble then ensued to find a ride. Not fun.

Get some info from the B&B owner as to where they are, such as a main road that they are close to, or a nearby local land mark. These days, you can not rely on all Dublin taxi drivers knowing the ins and outs of every single street and neighbourhood and housing estate like the back of their hand, as I found out myself last week. If the driver looks like he doesn't know where he is going, get him to turn off the meter so you don't have to cough up extra dosh for his ignorance. Safe travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

CiniO wrote: »
    Bnb won't cost me more than 30 for the night..

That's good value there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

CiniO wrote: »
    I have an morning flight (9am) and it's going to be long day for me, so I thought maybe instead waking up at 4 in the morning and driving from Mayo and paying for airport parking for few days, I'll arrive to the airport day earlier by the bus, and stay on some bnb.
    I found one, but website says it's 4km from the airport (just near Swords).
    How much roughly is it going to cost me to take a taxi on late evening (about 11pm) from airport to Swords, and then again next morning from Swords to the Airport?

I never used any taxi around Dublin area so I have no clue about prices.

Are taxis waiting somewhere on the airport, or you have to call to get one?

Any info appreciated...

The Premier Inn has a hotel beside the airport, it's only €39 a night. I stay there when I have an early flight back. They run a bus for the short journey from the airport to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

Why not get a b&b in the city and get the aircoach out to the airport the next morning. The aircoach is quite regular and much cheaper than a taxi. You'll also have the benefit of staying in the city for a night rather than out near the airport where it's a bit soulless.

Check out the routes and find some accomodation close to the route....

http://www.aircoach.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Check if the B&B will allow you park your car for the few days your away, if their not busy I'm sure they would be glad of the free income. Might even open another opportunity for them, it's worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to DCN.

tHB

For getting to the Airport from your B&B you should be able to get a local taxi firm to take you. The B&B can give you their numbers & you can pre-book your pick-up.

To get from the Airport back to your car - call the local taxi firm that took you there & ask them to pick you up in the Departures area at an agreed time. It is not quite in keeping with DAA taxi regulations, but many local people do it as the chaps on the rank in Arrivals don't like doing short runs after spending up to a couple of hours waiting for a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

To get from the Airport back to your car - call the local taxi firm that took you there & ask them to pick you up in the Departures area at an agreed time.

Am I allowed post the name of the local taxi company that does this? I use them all the time for this when I land in Dublin airport.

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

CAB 2000 (01 8900900) in Swords do this all time, it keeps everybody happy.
    The people in Swords because they don't have to listen to the airport taxis moaning about the short fare. The airport taxis because the don't have to do the short run after waiting for few hours for a fare. And Cab 2000 are happy because they get a fare.

Why bother ringing any taxi company when there are taxis dropping in Dep's every minute off the day? just walk out to Dep's and hail a taxi,easy.Cheaper and easier than ringing for a company taxi,plus you save money too.Its the only way to go in these financially tight days!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why bother ringing any taxi company when there are taxis dropping in Dep's every minute off the day? just walk out to Dep's and hail a taxi,easy.Cheaper and easier than ringing for a company taxi,plus you save money too.Its the only way to go in these financially tight days!

They're prohibited from picking up in Departures.

MugMugs wrote: »

Nope,if hailed they are allowed to take the fare.Its parking up and waiting that they are'nt allowed to do.All my friends and family who live in the north county always get a taxi in departures.And Ive heard on joe duffy that alot of people who live in the Santry area also get a taxi there. The drivers in arrivals wont even take american business men to the factorys in swords when they come over,not a great way to welcome investing dollars to the state!!!

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »

Nope,if hailed they are allowed to take the fare.Its parking up and waiting that they are'nt allowed to do.All my friends and family who live in the north county always get a taxi in departures.And Ive heard on joe duffy that alot of people who live in the Santry area also get a taxi there. The drivers in arrivals wont even take american business men to the factorys in swords when they come over,not a great way to welcome investing dollars to the state!!!

You'll find that by collecting a fare that has not been pre arranged they are in breach of an Airport Bye Law. They may well do so, doesn't mean they're permitted to do so. You need a DAA pass to collect a hailing fare in Dublin Airport and it must be used in Arrivals. A pre arranged fare is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

018202020 25% discount to and from the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Budget Cabs - Fixed Price Fares from the Airport

They specifically mention airport pick-ups on their services page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Entirely incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Jaysus talk about over complicating matters!!!

Taxi from Swords - Airport =10 - 15 Euro depending on the area of Swords.

Taxis from Arrivals and Departures are the same price!! We have gotten a taxi from the Airport to A house next to the air coach car park.

If the driver complains just take his plate number and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Fattes wrote: »
    If the driver complains just take his plate number and complain.

I agree; if you are in the humour of having a row or you need to take a rough day out on one of those who do make a deal of it. I've done it. However, if you are arriving back from a nice family holiday with the kids and missus you might just be happier walking up to departures.

Entirely incorrect.

No it's not

source

I broke it down for you
    5. Each of the following acts, in relation to vehicles or equipment, is hereby prohibited:—
    (11) plying a vehicle for hire at an airport without a taxi/hackney permit;
    10) A holder of a taxi/hackney permit shall not within an airport:

( a ) ply for hire other than at an authorised stand (except with the permission of an authorised officer),

( b ) cause or permit his small public service vehicle, if disabled, to be left on an authorised stand for longer than is reasonably necessary to effect its removal, unless the disablement is temporary and (except where an authorised officer otherwise directs) is remedied there without delay,

( c ) cause or permit his small public service vehicle to obstruct any road, footpath, exit, entrance or building or cause annoyance or disturbance to users of the airport, or

( d ) wash down or clean out his small public service vehicle on an authorised stand.

(11) ( a ) A permit issued under the Shannon Airport (Small Public Service Vehicles), Bye-Laws, 1980 ( S.I. No. 89 of 1980 ), in respect of a small public service vehicle authorising the owner of the vehicle to carry on the business of providing a hackney service at Shannon Airport with that vehicle, that is in force immediately before the commencement of these Bye-Laws, shall continue in force as if issued under this Bye-law.

( b ) A permit issued by Aer Rianta before the commencement of these Bye-Laws in respect of a small public service vehicle providing a taxi or hackney service at Dublin Airport or Cork Airport shall continue in force as if issued under this Bye-Law.

Seems there is a bit of a dispute about getting a taxi from departures.Some on here say its illegal,well maybe it is,but myself and loads of my family/friends/neighbours do it every time we arrive back into the airport from our holidays.The taxi drivers we get always take us home without giving out about the short journey to our house's around NCD.They always start the meter in front of me,so I know Im paying the correct fare,and I know Im not annoying a driver who has waited 2 hrs at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Hi sorry off thread a bit:rolleyes: But i need to find out how much my friend who's a taxi driver should charge a local club for advertising on his taxi,, for at least a year. Thank You.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement