Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace my helmet?

• 07-09-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I crashed today on the MTB out at ticknock, over the handlebars, and hit my head off a rock, subsequently the bike landed on my head. My helmet prevented me from any injury (lucky me!) but nontheless I'm unsure on whether I should replace my helmet or not? I've heard on the grapevine that a helmet can lose its protective benefits (or some of them) after a crash. Is this true? Should I replace my helmet? The only reliable looking source I've seen so far online is: http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm

Thanks in advance,
    Rónán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I would. Some helmet manufacturers offer reduced price, crash replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to replace after a crash (provided you used the helmet in the crash) and what happened to you sounded pretty intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Personally, I'd trust my judgement after a visual inspection. Look for cracks and dnets on the outer shell and compressed areas on the foam interior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

years ago I worked in a motorbike shop, and had the pleasure of going to see how motorbike helmets were made and tested. One of the tests included a simulated 30mph 'helmet into the kerb' type crash. The test rig measured the deceleration and forces on the 'head' in the helmet.

The first time they crashed the helmet, the forces were at level x, we examined the helmet and there was only a little mark on the outside, and no visible marks inside the helmet. They then repeated the test, and the forces were nearly twice the original test, and again, there was no real visible damage. The foam on the inside is designed to absorb the forces once.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, IMHO, if your helmet has take a knock, its done its job, and you should probably replace it. I know I would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi paddy

Quick question out of interest. Is there any sign of compression of the liner at all? There is some speculation doing the rounds that some manufacturers are using foams that pass the tests but don't actually compress on typical impacts.

Theoretically for brain injury as opposed to wound prevention its the compressibility thats important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The BHSI is not a reliable source in general. It's pretty much a one-man site run by a guy called Randy Swart, who see high levels of danger everywhere.

Check out his page on illumination, to get some idea of his frame of mind:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056315317

However, in this case his advice to replace after a crash where you've hit your head is the standard advice that is given by the helmet manufacturers. As others have said, if there's any sign of compression, that's the end of the useful life of the helmet liner.

Advertisement