Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vssf ii re barrel

Options
  • 07-09-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

hello lads, if i were to re barrel a vssf ii is there any deer legal cartridge that would work with the short action? thanks for looking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ring 20 wrote: »
    hello lads, if i were to re barrel a vssf ii is there any deer legal cartridge that would work with the short action? thanks for looking!

7mm-08
    just to name a few

If your VSSF II is .223 you will need your bolt face expanded to fit the wider base of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

.22/250, 243, 6xc, 308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

cheers lads, just got off phone to fergal white which i should have done first, talks of 6 xc, 223 barrel is going on the scrap heap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

6.5x47

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

tac foley wrote: »
    6.5x47

tac
    Good round but 6xc would get my nod ,but maybe im bias:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

yes its a 223 tackelberrywho, bolt will need work or replacing. whats the drop like with 6 xc at 300 and 400yds? few grey crows round here gonna need some armour plating!

yes its a 223 tackelberrywho, bolt will need work or replacing. whats the drop like with 6 xc at 300 and 400yds? few grey crows round here gonna need some armour plating!

Tom is the only man I know running a 6XC so I'll leave him to answer that.

The Only Part of my VSSF II that has not been changed to date is the Bolt lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Just make sure you go for a calibre you can get ammo for easily, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for reloading to come in.

rowa wrote: »
    Just make sure you go for a calibre you can get ammo for easily, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for reloading to come in.

It's as easy rebarrel .243 as .308, so I'd go .308
    €750~ is a barrel depending on brand, twist, length, the Bolt work will cost a few quid to get retro fitted to suit the wider base of the rounds capible of deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Your drop with the 115grainers if zeroed at 100 is bout 8 inches at 300 if I rem right, it's 6 or more months since I sat behind my xc. Get a 1/8 twist barrel so if you want to do some target shooting you can run the 115s but if you want it for varmint you could also run the 87gr v max which has a high bc and would run much flatter

• Advertisement
Advertisement