Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GFX card

Options
  • 07-09-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if this GFX card ( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-hd-6870-dual-fan-black-edition-4600mhz-gddr5-gpu-940mhz-1120-stream-processors-dvi-hdmi-mdp- ) would be worth getting to improve my system. The reason im asking is because im considering getting BF3 & it seems this game needs alot a decent card.

My current spec are as follows

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    System model = P5QL PRO (Asus)
    Core 2 quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    8192 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Not sure what power supply I have, its prob 750watts

So, would the 6870 card be compatible with my machine & would it make a marked improvement.

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not quite enough of an improvement IMO, the 4870 is still a fairly respectable card so if I were you (and I sort of am in a way cos I have the same card :)) I'd probably sit tight until the AMD 7000 series which is supposed to be coming out before the years end, I would think that the 7XXX series cards in the 6870 price bracket will be enough of a step up to really justify an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

So whats the likely price of the bog standard 7000 series card going to be. Surely it will be 250 or upwards? The 150 mark would prob be my limit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So whats the likely price of the bog standard 7000 series card going to be. Surely it will be 250 or upwards? The 150 mark would prob be my limit.

If you avoid the jacked up prices of the initial launch period then I would expect the prices of each new model should be in or around the same price as its roughly equivelant model of the previous generation (Not an exact science with AMD ever changing numbering conventions :)).

Just to take the top two single GPU cards of the last two AMD generations the 5870 and the HD6970. The US launch price of the 5870 was a little shy of $400, and the launch price of the 6970 was $369.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have very similar rig and went from 8800gt to 6870.

I couldnt be more happy. Went from barely playing witcher 2 on low to all maxed out.

Your card is still better then 8800gt, so it could run games prety nicely. Wait until the game gets released and see how your system is handling it. If it really bad, then by that time 7 series might be out.

And if you really really must upgrade before then, for a bit of longevity the HD6950 should be the minimum rung on the upgrade ladder. But the 7000 series is definately worth waiting for I think even if it means a few months of BF3 at less than Ultra settings (The HD4870 should should still be able to play at a fairly high settings), because I would be very surprised if the successor of the HD6870 (HD7890) to comfortably surpass the HD6950s performance for less money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks for the advice lads. I think ill stick with my current card for now then and see how she runs bf3 ( if I even get the game ):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sure you could always get a 6870 now and when the 7000 series comes out get another 6870 for crossfire.

Advertisement