Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic appliance service engineer

Options
  • 07-09-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Any domestic appliance service engineers here ? If so I have some questions.
    Where did you train ?
    Is there an industry recognized qualification ?
    Is it necessary to do a course or is on the job training enough ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

From what I've seen its usually a combination of on the job training and the likes of FAS courses.

Plenty of stuff could be self taught too with information from the internet. Basic Electrics / Electronics could be self taught if your motivated.

Not to be pedantic, but engineer isn't really the term to use. Its more of a technician role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

From what I've seen its usually a combination of on the job training and the likes of FAS courses.

Plenty of stuff could be self taught too with information from the internet. Basic Electrics / Electronics could be self taught if your motivated.

Not to be pedantic, but engineer isn't really the term to use. Its more of a technician role.
    Ive been doing some research and seems to be as you say, I was in contact with Chevron Training and they say there is no industry qualification and there is no fetac award, they issue some European certificate at the end of the course. Cant find a FAS course. Thanks for the correction, I wasnt sure what the correct title was.

Would like to talk to anyone working in the industry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2qk4u wrote: »
    Would like to talk to anyone working in the industry.

I had a problem with a dishwasher recenty. I phoned a company that was recommended to me. They took the unit away, fixed it and reinstalled it (2 call outs). I have to say they did a fantastic job, all for €140. I would certianly recommend them.

My point: Their hardworking employees could not be very well paid!

However I will PM this company's details to the OP if requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I did work years ago servicing commercial dishwashers/glass washers, microwaves, combi ovens etc. Not something id like to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Has anyone done the course with Chevron training or FAS ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭wolf9

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone thinking of doing Domestic Appliance Servicing in shannon training centre (Formally FAS), it is a very poorly run course that goes through the motions. You leave after 26 weeks in no way competent to work with any electrical appliance. Most of the days will be spent sitting around staring at a washing machine, fiddleing around with your new toolbox with no real purpose. The theory element is ok but the practical side is awful you learn nothing, and the course should be called washing machine servicing because its all you use. The beginning you will be told you will learn about everything from satelite dish/ power tools etc but its all bull. I thought after 26 weeks you would be fairly handy when it came to fixing most things. Its a shame to see courses run in such a poor way as 26 weeks 8-4 is more than enough time to really educate people but there is no structure whatsoever. An absolute waste of time.

Advertisement